• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I like it. Contrary to what most owners are saying on the 5g site, I think the 6g is a waaaayyy better looking truck. I almost didn't buy my 2019 Ranger because I don't like the wimpy looking front end.
Love the bumper with the side steps! I didn't think that would happen because GM has it. Glad Ford did it.
Happy with the interior also, although I do think the center screen is too big. SUPER Happy it isn't slapped on like a tablet though.
Like the adjustable bed hooks.......by why no stake pockets?? The inside of the bed looks like it has the boxing added for them, but the top rails show no sign of cutouts for them. In the reveal, they said "We're truck people...". Well, part of having a truck is hauling stuff. Small trucks need stake pockets more than large trucks.
No mention of full power seats and memory, so guessing that's not an option. Hopeful it will be in the N/A model, but based on the Bronco, I doubt it. Would also like to see a panorama roof.

So far, it's at the top of my list to replace my 2019. Just waiting to see what the new Colorado/Canyon comes out with.
Whichever has the most "Full-size" options will probably be getting my $$$.
I could buy a Full-size, but I don't want one. I much prefer driving a Mid-size.
I use my truck as a work truck, but I also like "luxuries".
In the "work truck" category, I feel all mid-size are fairly equal, so it really will come down to which one has the better options

Also waiting on the new Tacoma, but Toyota isn't known for Luxuries, so extremely unlikely they'll be a contender.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wanderlust64

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rusted out '98 Ram, a couple of CJ-7's
Occupation
Long Tern Peon
I like it. Contrary to what most owners are saying on the 5g site, I think the 6g is a waaaayyy better looking truck. I almost didn't buy my 2019 Ranger because I don't like the wimpy looking front end.
Love the bumper with the side steps! I didn't think that would happen because GM has it. Glad Ford did it.
Happy with the interior also, although I do think the center screen is too big. SUPER Happy it isn't slapped on like a tablet though.
Like the adjustable bed hooks.......by why no stake pockets?? The inside of the bed looks like it has the boxing added for them, but the top rails show no sign of cutouts for them. In the reveal, they said "We're truck people...". Well, part of having a truck is hauling stuff. Small trucks need stake pockets more than large trucks.
No mention of full power seats and memory, so guessing that's not an option. Hopeful it will be in the N/A model, but based on the Bronco, I doubt it. Would also like to see a panorama roof.

So far, it's at the top of my list to replace my 2019. Just waiting to see what the new Colorado/Canyon comes out with.
I could buy a Full-size, but I don't want one. I much prefer driving a Mid-size.
In the "work truck" category, I feel all mid-size are fairly equal, so it really will come down to which one has the better options

Also waiting on the new Tacoma, but Toyota isn't known for Luxuries, so extremely unlikely they'll be a contender.

If you look hard enough, it looks like there are area on the rail covers that probably pop out that cover the stake pockets. Might be similar to the clamp recess' on the tailgate.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Don't get me wrong the 2.3L is a great motor that has been around since the Pinto.
Different 2.3, the Pinto engine was put out to pasture a long time ago. The 2.3 EcoBoost is based on the Mazda L engine family, a clean sheet design from the early 2000s

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Adventure Traveller
I was happy to see the 2-door XL. Hope that comes to NA, along with a PHEV option.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3

I'm pretty sure that GM will also come with a LWB crew cab configuration. Whereas the Ranger will likely not. I can only hope. That could end up being the deal killer for allot of people that want a 6 foot box with a decent back seat. The other concern I have is the XL/XLT only offering the 2.3 eco and a more pricey Raptor getting the 2.7. Most likely the Colorado will offer the 2.7 turbo as the only engine option. Which would mean the Colorado will own Ford as far as base torque/HP. The catch to that is if they double down and re-use that defective/crappy 8 speed or if they put the 10 into the Colorado. The next gen tacoma will use the same platform as the new titan which is VERY luxurious. I would not count out the taco. That might offer a limited version that smokes the segment. After all, they will see what everyone else will offer before they release it.

Sponsored

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
That 1% likelihood of a SuperCrew/longbed just your opinion or do you have some inside knowledge? I’d give a much higher likelihood, and not because I want one. I’m speaking specifically about the North American market. I can’t imagine Ford bringing a brand new design out and not offering this basic configuration that Nissan, GMC, Chevy and Toyota offer in a midsize truck (agreed that the config. Is not available in all trims). It just doesn’t make common sense. I’m hopeful the NA launch will offer this configuration along with other obvious power train options that the “global” Ranger (read as everywhere but NA) doesn’t have.
Mostly based on the fact this next generation is basically using the existing T6 frame with some modifications and that it is a global platform. To offer an extra foot of frame will require significant changes to say the least. When you look at Toy/Nissan their LWB trucks are only offered in NA with everyone else globally getting something else (Hilux, Navara). Allot of the global truck can be shared with the NA truck. That is the sheet metal, frame, cabin etc.. The main changes in 19 were some minor underpinning modifications, Bumpers, and of course the 2.3 eco instead of using the 2.2 or 3.2 diesels that were offered overseas. Even though the Ranger does not offer a LWB version they have managed to take second place in the segment and I expect that won't change. Nissan might crab a bit of market share with their new frontier but I don't see it as much of a threat to Ford/Toyota. The final reason I don't believe ford would offer a LWB Ranger is that it might cannibalize their number one selling F-150. I don't see them making the LWB. If you want to know what the NA version will look like then just look at the Australian version. I might be wrong but I won't change my odds on that. Its very unlikely IMO. The Ranger is primarily Australian designed since 2011. Ford at NA is reusing that design with some modifications. This new generation is no different. Most of the major frame/superstructure/tech etc.. is coming out of Australia. If the truck were primarily designed in NA I might have more hope for a LWB. But its not.

Last edited:

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
If you look hard enough, it looks like there are area on the rail covers that probably pop out that cover the stake pockets. Might be similar to the clamp recess' on the tailgate.
Yes, I saw those, but they don't line up with where there would be stake pockets....if there were any.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Mostly based on the fact this next generation is basically using the existing T6 frame with some modifications and that it is a global platform. To offer an extra foot of frame will require significant changes to say the least. When you look at Toy/Nissan their LWB trucks are only offered in NA with everyone else globally getting something else (Hilux, Navara). Allot of the global truck can be shared with the NA truck. That is the sheet metal, frame, cabin etc.. The main changes in 19 were some minor underpinning modifications, Bumpers, and of course the 2.3 eco instead of using the 2.2 or 3.2 diesels that were offered overseas. Even though the Ranger does not offer a LWB version they have managed to take second place in the segment and I expect that won't change. Nissan might crab a bit of market share with their new frontier but I don't see it as much of a threat to Ford/Toyota. The final reason I don't believe ford would offer a LWB Ranger is that it might cannibalize their number one selling F-150. I don't see them making the LWB. If you want to know what the NA version will look like then just look at the Australian version. I might be wrong but I won't change my odds on that. Its very unlikely IMO. The Ranger is primarily Australian designed since 2011. Ford at NA is reusing that design with some modifications. This new generation is no different. Most of the major frame/superstructure/tech etc.. is coming out of Australia. If the truck were primarily designed in NA I might have more hope for a LWB. But its not.
If truely a global truck, then why not just roll it out in North American too (at the same time) and list the engine choices available in each market? Frames are modular and the same frames are often used with multiple wheel bases. Look at the last global Ranger (not for NA)…. 3 cab choices and 3 bed lengths on one WB. But the T6 frame was also used on the Ford Everest. What do you think the Bronco is using as a frame as it’s assembled on the same line as the Ranger in Wayne, MI.? Yes, a T6 variant! And the Bronco has two WBs with different suspension designs altogether different from the Rangers. Also worth mentioning, the 6’ box is already being manufactured for use on the SuperCab. Low hanging fruit engineering and manufacturing wise for the up charge of a LWB. As for the Ranger cannibalizing F-150 sales? I suspect there is more cross shopping brands in the same segment than cross shopping segments in the same brand. I’m sure Ford is more worried about losing market share to the Tacoma than the F-150 (some profit is better than none). For that reason, I believe Ford is focusing on gaining market share from other brands instead. I also think there is more of a difference between the average compact, midsize and full-size shoppers and Ford will be the only brand to have a full spectrum of trucks to best suit most everyones wants and needs from compact to heavy duty (and everything in between). We’ll have to agree to disagree on our personal logic. Time will tell… just sucks we’ll have wonder that much longer.

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
The interior looks like a leap forward. Even looks a little more spacious then the previous Gen. Will have to see it in the cloth. I am interested in the PHEV, but starting to think it does not make a lot of sense with the turbo. Not good when commuting within the range of the battery, the ICE motor will be barely used. Its proven that the 2.3L Turbo needs to be not babied as it is prone to not burning off the fuel in the oil and coking valves.
I baby mine & no gas in oil. Nor do we do much highway.
Many people don't check their oil. Most people on these sites are quick to bitch.
No one will post "I have no gas in my oil".
Many people say they get 23/26 mpg, my truck seems to be stuck at about 18/19 mpg, well under
the 23mph on sticker, oh well.
Can't wait to see if we get a PHEV. It would be the only reason I would go check a 6G out.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri

Sponsored
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
If truely a global truck, then why not just roll it out in North American too (at the same time) and list the engine choices available in each market? Frames are modular and the same frames are often used with multiple wheel bases. Look at the last global Ranger (not for NA)…. 3 cab choices and 3 bed lengths on one WB.
Because for whatever reason, the North American market decides it is special and deserves special stuff that the rest of us don't get. Separate steel bumpers, different seats, different lighting, different AWD systems, different tailgate, different suspension tune (the current PX3 gen NA vehicle is different to the ROW vehicle underneath too, the springs and struts don't even fit each other).

The update to the platform made it modular, it started as one fixed wheelbase then they added the second for the Everest. This overhaul for the T6.2 update allowed the various lengths to be implemented. Ford likely don't want to offer the longer wheelbase because they are playing the marketing game, don't steal sales from F series, when they're ignoring the fact that a LWB Ranger would steal sales from GM. If it happened to take a few sales from F-150, would it matter? It's still a sale for the blue oval. Don't worry there are a lot of Aussies that want the longer bed with a dual cab, hence there are a number of engineering firms that locally stretch the chassis.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
If truely a global truck, then why not just roll it out in North American too (at the same time) and list the engine choices available in each market? Frames are modular and the same frames are often used with multiple wheel bases. Look at the last global Ranger (not for NA)…. 3 cab choices and 3 bed lengths on one WB. But the T6 frame was also used on the Ford Everest. What do you think the Bronco is using as a frame as it’s assembled on the same line as the Ranger in Wayne, MI.? Yes, a T6 variant! And the Bronco has two WBs with different suspension designs altogether different from the Rangers. Also worth mentioning, the 6’ box is already being manufactured for use on the SuperCab. Low hanging fruit engineering and manufacturing wise for the up charge of a LWB. As for the Ranger cannibalizing F-150 sales? I suspect there is more cross shopping brands in the same market than cross shopping segments in the same brand. I’m sure Ford is more worried about losing market share to the Tacoma than the F-150 (some profit is better than none). For that reason, I believe Ford is focusing on gaining market share from other brands instead. I also think there is more of a difference between the average compact, midsize and full-size shoppers and Ford will be the only brand to have a full spectrum of trucks to best suit most everyones wants and needs from compact to heavy duty (and everything in between). We’ll have to agree to disagree on our personal logic. Time will tell… just sucks we’ll have wonder that much longer.
Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see a LWB Ranger as well. I'm just not very optimistic about that happening. As far as waiting for the new Ranger one has to remember NA had to wait 7 years for the new ranger to come. What gets me is the rest of the world gets much better engine options with a variety of diesel motors. Back in 2014 when I was living in Fiji I bought a new 2014 XLT with the inline 3.2 diesel. Loved that truck allot. Back in those days Ford in NA was adamant that the mid size was dead in NA. It took GM pushing out over 200K Colorado/year to get Ford to back peddle as fast as they could to bring the T6 to the US. I think the reason they want to build the new Ranger overseas first is because its been around allot longer over there and is in desperate need of a refresh. Over in the US we have only had it since 2019. Still an old truck but to Americans, still not as old. I can't understand whey Ford does not bring the Everest to NA. The US does not have enough mid size body on frame SUV's. Toyota still sells a ton of 4 runners and they get over 10K over MSRP for TRD examples in my area. I'd give anything for a global product here at home with a diesel. That is a navara, HIlux, D-max, Ranger, Prado , etc.. The reason the Aussi has so many diesel options for the new Ranger is that diesel applications for heavy body on frame trucks is the best way to go. It gives you massive torque and still can get decent MPG's. Even the 2.8 duramax on the Colorado was cancelled and the motor plant overseas that made it is closed. Can't understand why diesels never survived the mid size market in the US.

A pic of my old 2014 Ranger with nudge and sports bar.
Ford Ranger All-New 2023 Ford Ranger (XL, XLS, XLT, Sport, Wildtrak) Global Reveal! 2014 Ranger

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
What's the point of the bar? Looks like it'd just reduce economy and ground clearance/approach angle

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
What's the point of the bar? Looks like it'd just reduce economy and ground clearance/approach angle
I doubt it will affect Fuel economy much as you never really go faster them 60 kph in Fiji. As for approach angle I never hit it in the 3 plus years I drove it over there. Plenty of bad roads etc.. but never really took it off road. Just heavily rutted dirt roads, mud and rain. Allot of rain. Its a popular option over there. It does look allot better on the this first generation T6 Ranger IMO. If I pick up the next generation in the states I would not put one on. But over there, its a status symbol to have those accessories lol. My wife actually bought it when I was in the states. And she was adamant to put that on as well as the sports bar. Off roading and rock climbing is an American thing. Places like Fiji you get to use the 4X4 and the offroad bits just with normal traveling around. Not like here in the states where you got monster trucks lifted to the max crawling around malls. Just saying.
Ford Ranger All-New 2023 Ford Ranger (XL, XLS, XLT, Sport, Wildtrak) Global Reveal! RESIZE RANGER
Sponsored