• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

? New Tacoma Mules Caught Testing

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I hope they don't use the same design lines as the Tundra.
I REALLY dislike the look of the new Tundra, and Tacoma was always fall back if the 6G doesn't get a manual transmission.

RangerNW

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Army Green Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Middle School Head Custodian
I was encouraged by the EV concept reveal Toyota did, and the all-electric Tacoma they had. Hoping that’s what the New Taco looks like. Much better looking than the Tundra. Actually, most everything looks better than the Tundra to me. Just not my thing.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I was encouraged by the EV concept reveal Toyota did, and the all-electric Tacoma they had. Hoping that’s what the New Taco looks like. Much better looking than the Tundra. Actually, most everything looks better than the Tundra to me. Just not my thing.
Agree, i think the new tundra is hideous... I like the larger, flat agressive looking front ends, but that is just way over the top.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
It really doesn't matter what they do body wise if they keep that 3.5 V6 it's going to be a flop. That has to be the worst drivetrain combo I've ever driven. It's constantly shifting when in traffic and never knows what gear it wants to be in. There's no low end power and when on the highway cruising at 75 mph you can feel it surging. The 2nd gen Tacoma was a very good truck but they really messed up with the 3rd gen. I love competition among all the manufacturers so I hope they have a better drivetrain in this new gen.

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Escape, 2019 Edge
It really doesn't matter what they do body wise if they keep that 3.5 V6 it's going to be a flop.
Tacoma sales are more than double its' nearest competitor. That's a flop?

HRG

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
It really doesn't matter what they do body wise if they keep that 3.5 V6 it's going to be a flop. That has to be the worst drivetrain combo I've ever driven. It's constantly shifting when in traffic and never knows what gear it wants to be in. There's no low end power and when on the highway cruising at 75 mph you can feel it surging. The 2nd gen Tacoma was a very good truck but they really messed up with the 3rd gen. I love competition among all the manufacturers so I hope they have a better drivetrain in this new gen.
Based on limited time with a 2019 TRD Sport, I was not impressed with the power delivery. In my case, it was the 6 speed manual, so it wasn't a transmission issue.

I was recently driving a low mileage 2019, and I don't think it had been modified in any way, but it drove like it had significant turbo lag.
And yes... I know it doesn't have a turbo.
Even a passenger riding with me was shocked at the surge in power when starting off, and even somewhat between shifts.

The engine uses VVT to simulate an Atkinson cycle for efficiency, and it felt like the VVT was trying to keep it in that "Atkinson" mode, reducing the torque delivery during acceleration.

All that said, it IS possible I was stuck in some sort of ECO mode setting that was holding the VVT programming that way. I believe the automatic has some sort of PWR/ECT button that affects this, but I don't recall seeing it in the manual version.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Tacoma sales are more than double its' nearest competitor. That's a flop?

HRG
I said it will be IF they don't change the drivetrain. Most think the Tacoma 3rd gen is still the same great truck as the 2nd gen. The quality and longevity are not there and that's why many are switching to the competition. There was a recent article where the Tacoma has been losing sales and was posted on R5G.

The Ranger has only been out for 3 full years and yes it's been chipping away at Tacoma sales. Now if Ford knocks it out of the park with the R6G and Toyota doesn't do a major overhaul and thinks people will continue to buy because of their past performance you will see their sales fall even more. Sure you will still have the brainwashed fanboys who'll still buy and defend it but most are waking up there's better products out there now.

Hot Runr Guy

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Escape, 2019 Edge
The Ranger has only been out for 3 full years and yes it's been chipping away at Tacoma sales.
Not sure where you are getting your sales data from. Trust me, I want Ford to succeed, heck, I'm even Z-plan eligible. But Tacoma sales were over 252K in 2021 in the US alone.

HRG

Attachments

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Not sure where you are getting your sales data from. Trust me, I want Ford to succeed, heck, I'm even Z-plan eligible. But Tacoma sales were over 252K in 2021 in the US alone.

HRG
I'll have to try and find the thread on R5G. It was a recent one showing the Tacoma falling from the number one spot. Of course there's so many articles out contradicting the other ones.

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Escape, 2019 Edge

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I'll have to try and find the thread on R5G. It was a recent one showing the Tacoma falling from the number one spot. Of course there's so many articles out contradicting the other ones.
I wonder if you were thinking about the Australia Ranger vs Hilux numbers. I think Ranger surpassed Hilux in that market.

HRG
I would think the 2019 - 2020 numbers might be more telling than the 2020-2021 numbers. The chip shortages last year hit some manufacturers, like Ford, much harder.
I read that Toyota had agreements in place beforehand and was much better situated for 2021. But I believe by late fall, that advantage had been used up, so 2022 should be interesting.

Circumstantially, I do know a few Taco owners who openly admit they liked their G3 less than their previous G2 and are interested in the G6 Ranger. Their disappointment had a lot to do with lack of significant improvement in engine performance and efficiency. If the G4 Taco comes out with a strong turbo 4 (or HEV/PHEV) to go after Ranger's 2.3, it will be hard to beat.

If Ford had done a little more with the interior of the current gen (bigger touch screen, less generic styling,..) and had a more aggressive front end, I think they would have reclaimed much more market from Tacoma.