Sponsored

2024 Tacoma Performance Parts For New Engines?

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Anyone have any knowledge on what performance parts we might see with the new Tacoma engine. I wonder if there might be some already out there that would work since the engine has been in use by Toyota for some time already. I don’t imagine it would take much to get a good bit more power out of it.
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Most of the parts on the engine are new for this specific application, so I doubt there's much on the market that would bolt on. You can expect intake and exhaust to be the first things to hit the market, but even that will take probably 6 months after the trucks hit the road.

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Most of the parts on the engine are new for this specific application, so I doubt there's much on the market that would bolt on. You can expect intake and exhaust to be the first things to hit the market, but even that will take probably 6 months after the trucks hit the road.
Yes sir, I figured they would be. Rather see legitimate programmer, along with intake and exhaust.. be easy to make power that way.

chounder

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
If you are okay with a voided warranty (even with a legitimate programmer, I'm sure there will be some options down the road.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I asked that chat the exact same question last week and got the same response. Nice to see they're already working on it! I've installed one of these in a previous vehicle with a 4cyl turbo and was pretty impressed by the results.

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
I asked that chat the exact same question last week and got the same response. Nice to see they're already working on it! I've installed one of these in a previous vehicle with a 4cyl turbo and was pretty impressed by the results.
I hate to void the warranty, but maybe towards the end of the warranty period I’ll slap one on. I’d imagine intake and exhaust would help, and if we could ever get a down pipe, after market Intercooler, a boost controller etc. it would probably be pretty wild for a Tacoma.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I hate to void the warranty, but maybe towards the end of the warranty period I’ll slap one on. I’d imagine intake and exhaust would help, and if we could ever get a down pipe, after market Intercooler, a boost controller etc. it would probably be pretty wild for a Tacoma.
Yeah I'll probably wait a while to pull the trigger for similar reasons. I don't think there's much information out there about how much boost these turbos are running from the factory.

Does the boost gauge in the cluster show actual psi or is it just a level that goes up/down under load?

My truck is supposed to be built tomorrow 🎉

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Yeah I'll probably wait a while to pull the trigger for similar reasons. I don't think there's much information out there about how much boost these turbos are running from the factory.

Does the boost gauge in the cluster show actual psi or is it just a level that goes up/down under load?

It shows a gauge from 0-15 psi and will fluctuate depending on how much boost is needed. I’d imagine that a programmer could help keep it spooled up higher for longer. A lot of times I’ll be driving a the boost will be at 0 until I give it some throttle. I typically keep mine in sport mode, because I could honestly care less about a mile or two per gallon savings that I would get in eco. Sport is how I feel like the normal mode should be, plus I like the red background and while in sport mode! — congrats on the truck being built, it’s a painful wait but you’re almost finished!

OP
OP

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)

here is some discussion on the topic. The 2.4L Turbo engine isn’t new for Toyota/Lexus, it’s been in the RX-350/NX-350 and I believe other vehicles for a while. We may have some luck adapting some existing Lexus performance mods for the T24A-FTS.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anyone-tuning-the-t24a-fts-from-lexus-platforms.820744/

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
here is some discussion on the topic. The 2.4L Turbo engine isn’t new for Toyota/Lexus, it’s been in the RX-350/NX-350 and I believe other vehicles for a while. We may have some luck adapting some existing Lexus performance mods for the T24A-FTS.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anyone-tuning-the-t24a-fts-from-lexus-platforms.820744/
Thanks for digging up that thread! Seems promising because it's not an entirely new engine platform, just a different application. I fully expect to see several aftermarket power options available in the next couple months. We've seen pretty decent aftermarket support so far considering how few trucks have been available up until the past few weeks.
Sponsored