univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
And for the rest of you doofuses ...
Not everyone liked it, they can be upbeat regular people enjoying their lives and still critique the rollout & media pump . No need slam people who have a different take on it than you.
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
These videos are clearly commercials for Toyota in exchange for sponsorship. Who cares? I love seeing the TH in different scenarios--artificial, orchestrated or not--and watching these videos won't really sway my decision in buying one, one way or the other.

I suspect pricing will be announced this month. And it won't be cheap. I don't believe we'll be driving them until the summer, though...

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
Alright I've been holding my comments on this thread for a while. Here's a few of my points/thoughts. For those that aren't as familiar with Expedition Overland they have built a business (well beyond YouTube) out of going on, documenting, and filming vehicle based expeditions for the last 10+ years. In my opinion they have some of the best films/series out there on the topic and have helped inspire me and many others to get out more. For us we are very much into vehicle based camping (backpacking as well) or as the buzzword is today overlanding. It doesn't matter what you call it, but we are explorers and enjoy getting to places where most people cannot go.
Exactly. XO's production quality rivals Top Gear and in many cases is better. Don't believe me? Watch the Nordic Expedition series from last year. They took three off the shelf Toyota trucks, modded them, shipped them to Northern Europe, and spent 2 months crisscrossing Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, the Faroes, and Iceland. If you dig into their videos they spend a ton of time and effort being entirely self-sustaining, from mechanical know how to trauma first aid and survival. its wholesome, entertaining, and shows what these trucks can do in capable hands.

2ndGen2TrlHntr, thanks for this. Very helpful. I personally have enjoyed watching their Trailhunter series with the understanding that (obviously) Toyota provided a pre-production truck to engage their platform.

I too think it was smart. The videos are well produced and generally entertaining, sort of a folksy soft-focus “review” of various features. Yes, it’s more marketing than meat, but so what? If someone isn’t smart enough to realize that within the first 30 seconds of any of the videos… then bless your little heart.

And for the rest of you doofuses raving about how awful these videos are, I have two words for you: lighten up. Remember the old Nissan commercials from the 1980s with the tagline, “Life is a journey — enjoy the ride”? Some folks here who seem to know everything about anything should take heed. :)
Exactly. These aren't in depth, hard hitting, hard nosed journalism, nor is it all fluff either.

This is Toyota using a very popular platform they have long partnered with to advertise what these trucks can do off the showroom floor and what Toyota has baked into the cake directly to people in the overlanding/camping community.

When the series wraps up at it 6 or so episodes, the Trailhunter will likely be fully "released" by Toyota with all the requisite pricing, ordering, etc.

Works for me, I'm not buying anything until May at earliest anyway.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
I like the X-Overland guys and their productions... but the "final" episode of the series was garbage. It was a 12 minute recaps of the previous few and Clay saying he liked the Trailhunter.

Wow. Ground breaking stuff.
Sponsored