• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
USAF (Ret)
(“Sigh”);

“….front-end structure creates more space in the engine bay for the new V6 engine and helps future-proof the Ranger for other propulsion technologies.” I love it! Who thinks this stuff up?

Of course, they coulda said the same thing about the Ford Pinto; plenty of room to stuff a small block V-8 in there….

Old school guy here & I hate the new “short throw e-shifter”. I also hate the fact that I’d have to move to Australia (which isn’t ALL bad), or Europe(?) to get a manual transmission….or is that photo just another ‘tactical deception’?

(Doesn’t “future-proof” imply a negative thing; like it’s prevented from adapting to future technologies? Along the lines of “bullet proof”, “stain proof”, “water proof”, “bug proof”, etc.?)
Sponsored

Last edited:

administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
I really like the looks and the updated interior.
Does anybody have any idea when dealer ordering would open up for 2023 model year in North America?
Here's what we know regarding the US timeline:

U.S. Ranger timeline: https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/2023-ford-ranger-p703n-production-timeline-info-thread.6937/

2023 Ranger production is anticipated to begin May 1, 2023 at Michigan Assembly Plant, so expect the order banks to open a few months before that.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Overall I’m fairly please with the Ranger unveiled. I’m hopeful of a SuperCrew/longbed configuration for the North American market? If not, I’ll definitely be looking at other brands which seem to be working on new trucks for 2023 too (GM and Toyota). Also on my wish list is a Lariat FX-4 (minimum off-road chops) or a Tremor package in the mentioned configuration. While we’re at it, give me a sunroof too. I think Ford did an incredible job on the interior including the touch screen and tech. I’m assuming it will feel more roomy too with the added 50MM width and wheelbase. My dream truck is a base overland rig right from Ford complete with warranty. With that said, if a 2023 Ranger is available in a SuperCrew/longbed configuration and Lariat with Tremor package??? Then take my money!!!

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I love it! I was a bit skeptical on the infotainment screen but it is starting to grow on me. Being an honest person, I will say I am really not a fan of the electronic e-brake though.
Its a lot better then what they did on the explorer. That looks like a glued on tablet. Just horrible.

Sponsored

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Overall I’m fairly please with the Ranger unveiled. I’m hopeful of a SuperCrew/longbed configuration for the North American market? If not, I’ll definitely be looking at other brands which seem to be working on new trucks for 2023 too (GM and Toyota). Also on my wish list is a Lariat FX-4 (minimum off-road chops) or a Tremor package in the mentioned configuration. While we’re at it, give me a sunroof too. I think Ford did an incredible job on the interior including the touch screen and tech. I’m assuming it will feel more roomy too with the added 50MM width and wheelbase. My dream truck is a base overland rig right from Ford complete with warranty. With that said, if a 2023 Ranger is available in a SuperCrew/longbed configuration and Lariat with Tremor package??? Then take my money!!!
You might as well start looking elsewhere. This is a global product so what you see here is what we will get later in the states. Only changes will be minor underpinnings and bumpers. Also engine options will be different and definitely no diesel options for NA. But the frame looks to be a slightly modified T6 frame. I give the chances of a LWB supercrew at below 1 percent. Its not going to happen. You better believe it. Again, this is a global product. The idea of that is to streamline the manufacturing processes to save money for the oem. Building a different frame for one market defeats the purpose of doing that. Nissan does not offer a loaded LWB crew. Canada does but not in the US. If you really want a loaded mid size LWB crewcab you will have to wait for GM to offer their next gen Colorado which will have a decent 2.7 turbo. If they put the 10 speed in that your good to go. If they use the 8 speed you will again have to wait to see what the next gen Tacoma offers. Either that you can try to import a loaded LWB Frontier from Canada but that a costly hassle.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
The interior looks like a leap forward. Even looks a little more spacious then the previous Gen. Will have to see it in the cloth. I am interested in the PHEV, but starting to think it does not make a lot of sense with the turbo. Not good when commuting within the range of the battery, the ICE motor will be barely used. Its proven that the 2.3L Turbo needs to be not babied as it is prone to not burning off the fuel in the oil and coking valves.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
The interior looks like a leap forward. Even looks a little more spacious then the previous Gen. Will have to see it in the cloth. I am interested in the PHEV, but starting to think it does not make a lot of sense with the turbo. Not good when commuting within the range of the battery, the ICE motor will be barely used. Its proven that the 2.3L Turbo needs to be not babied as it is prone to not burning off the fuel in the oil and coking valves.
Are you saying the 2.3 is prone for oil dilution? If so, I'd probably not interested because if you can't baby that motor and keep it in boost all the time the MPG's will be bad.

Last edited:

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
You might as well start looking elsewhere. This is a global product so what you see here is what we will get later in the states. Only changes will be minor underpinnings and bumpers. Also engine options will be different and definitely no diesel options for NA. But the frame looks to be a slightly modified T6 frame. I give the chances of a LWB supercrew at below 1 percent. Its not going to happen. You better believe it. Again, this is a global product. The idea of that is to streamline the manufacturing processes to save money for the oem. Building a different frame for one market defeats the purpose of doing that. Nissan does not offer a loaded LWB crew. Canada does but not in the US. If you really want a loaded mid size LWB crewcab you will have to wait for GM to offer their next gen Colorado which will have a decent 2.7 turbo. If they put the 10 speed in that your good to go. If they use the 8 speed you will again have to wait to see what the next gen Tacoma offers. Either that you can try to import a loaded LWB Frontier from Canada but that a costly hassle.

Also that 50MM was not quoted as additional width. Read again. They moved the front wheels forward 50MM to improve the approach angle. About the only thing that might possible come true on your wish list is the sunroof. But I have my doubts with that as well.
That 1% likelihood of a SuperCrew/longbed just your opinion or do you have some inside knowledge? I’d give a much higher likelihood, and not because I want one. I’m speaking specifically about the North American market. I can’t imagine Ford bringing a brand new design out and not offering this basic configuration that Nissan, GMC, Chevy and Toyota offer in a midsize truck (agreed that the config. Is not available in all trims). It just doesn’t make common sense. I’m hopeful the NA launch will offer this configuration along with other obvious power train options that the “global” Ranger (read as everywhere but NA) doesn’t have.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Are you saying the 2.3 is prone for oil dilution? If so, I'd probably not interested because if you can't baby that motor and keep it in boost all the time the MPG's will be bad.
Most small turbo motors of all manufactures have a build up of fuel in the oil that needs to be burnt off with the motor getting up to correct working temperature. The Ranger's motor does not seem suited for city driving and short drives. There's many post on the 5G forum about problematic quantities of fuel in the oil. The turbo also has to be considered for its longevity with correct running temps and a gradual cool down. I own a 4G Ranger. The 2.3L non turbo motor works well. Although it only has 145 Hp. Just saying that the PHEV system would work better with a non turbo motor. Although there would be draw backs to that too. The Ranger is focused to have a 7500lbs towing capacity.

Sponsored

Beav1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '18 F150, '14 Focus, '13 Escape
Most small turbo motors of all manufactures have a build up of fuel in the oil that needs to be burnt off with the motor getting up to correct working temperature. The Ranger's motor does not seem suited for city driving and short drives. There's many post on the 5G forum about problematic quantities of fuel in the oil. The turbo also has to be considered for its longevity with correct running temps and a gradual cool down. I own a 4G Ranger. The 2.3L non turbo motor works well. Although it only has 145 Hp. Just saying that the PHEV system would work better with a non turbo motor. Although there would be draw backs to that too. The Ranger is focused to have a 7500lbs towing capacity.
Ford has added second "port" injectors to many of it's EB engines to alleviate the 'coking' issue although I don't believe the 2.3L EB is one of them.
That said we have the first gen 2.0 EB on the Escape w/o the second injectors. 195k miles on it with no issues. Valves never touched. The caveat is most of those miles were my wife driving on a 60 mi round trip commute at freeway speeds. That probably helped!

The 2.3L EB has been in use for quite a few years on a number of Ford products,. If there were any design defects they surely would have been addressed by now.

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
That 1% likelihood of a SuperCrew/longbed just your opinion or do you have some inside knowledge? I’d give a much higher likelihood, and not because I want one. I’m speaking specifically about the North American market. I can’t imagine Ford bringing a brand new design out and not offering this basic configuration that Nissan, GMC, Chevy and Toyota offer in a midsize truck (agreed that the config. Is not available in all trims). It just doesn’t make common sense. I’m hopeful the NA launch will offer this configuration along with other obvious power train options that the “global” Ranger (read as everywhere but NA) doesn’t have.
There was someone in here not long ago that said he works for a company that does work for Ford and as of right now he said, Ford will be offering a 4 door long bed option. But he also said that they could scrap that at any time.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Ford has added second "port" injectors to many of it's EB engines to alleviate the 'coking' issue although I don't believe the 2.3L EB is one of them.
That said we have the first gen 2.0 EB on the Escape w/o the second injectors. 195k miles on it with no issues. Valves never touched. The caveat is most of those miles were my wife driving on a 60 mi round trip commute at freeway speeds. That probably helped!

The 2.3L EB has been in use for quite a few years on a number of Ford products,. If there were any design defects they surely would have been addressed by now.
Don't get me wrong the 2.3L is a great motor that has been around since the Pinto. The Ranger does not have a dual injection system, just direct injected, no port injectors on the 5G. This is why its important to warm the engine up properly and run the motor hard occasionally to reduce the coking. Does any of the other Ford products run a turbo and a PHEV system. I would like the Ranger to last for over 10 years.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I really like the looks and the updated interior.
Does anybody have any idea when dealer ordering would open up for 2023 model year in North America?
There is another thread here:
https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/2023-ford-ranger-p703n-production-timeline-info-thread.6937/
That states the following:
  • Final design approval achieved in early 2019.
  • Production begins on May 1, 2023 at Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP).
  • Official launch (sales/dealer stock) set for July 3, 2023.
  • Production life ends April 2031.