• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2.7L engine on 6th gen 2023 Ranger?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
Are we going to get a 2.7 Ecoboost in the New Ranger ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
No comments in almost a week... Very disappointed at the lack of Ford insiders here at the 6G site.

I wanted to post that I doubt they will have the 2.7 since there has been a lot of write up about the PHEV version coming, and with Resident Biden's new BEV/PHEV push for 2030, Ford and other companies would have to start swapping displacement for electrons.

Also, there was an interesting article on why the base Maverick is a HEV, which also made me think for will be cutting back on the 2.7.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a36697224/ford-maverick-had-to-be-a-hybrid/

But another article made me think they may offer the 2.7, possibly at a cost penalty over the PHEV version, just to go after the Colorado (and Tacoma) market share(s).
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...l-c-shaped-daytime-running-lights-166654.html

Personally having owned a C-Max HEV, (wife's car) for several years, if I'm buying a vehicle with an automatic transmission, I'd be hard pressed not to buy another HEV or PHEV. Haven't talked her into the Maverick (yet).

I love the F150 PowerBoost option and would love something like that to make it to the Ranger... albeit with a manual transmission (I know it doesn't make sense, but I can hope). (Still hoping the 2023 Ranger offers the Bronco manual transmission.)

Reactions: Doc

Grumpy

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Escape
Occupation
Working for the man
No comments in almost a week... Very disappointed at the lack of Ford insiders here at the 6G site.
Completely agree but maybe Ford is to blame after they completely botched the Bronco release they might of learned a thing or two and have decided to limit leaking information on the Ranger.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I would love to see the 2.7l as an option, although personally I want the PHEV. 500ftlb of torque! :rockon: :p
...and although I wouldn't be a purchaser, it would be nice to see the manual available.
I just want everyone to have what they want. :inlove: :crackup:

Disappointed also. Now that the Bronco has been released, I really expected to see more "leaked" info. I'm anxious to see what they will be bringing out.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Tech sector
I would love to see the 2.7l as an option, although personally I want the PHEV. 500ftlb of torque! :rockon: :p
...and although I wouldn't be a purchaser, it would be nice to see the manual available.
I just want everyone to have what they want. :inlove: :crackup:

Disappointed also. Now that the Bronco has been released, I really expected to see more "leaked" info. I'm anxious to see what they will be bringing out.
Don't forget, Ford has been busy w publicity around the Mav too. If you put out too much information about different products at once, it gets lost in the muddle.. They also don't want to slow current model Ranger sales too soon by releasing lots of info about a new model

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, it does make sense to not release any new info on the 6G Ranger. May affect sales on 5G Ranger, small Bronco and Maverick. All car manufactures are still hampered by the chip shortage issues and possible Covid Variant issues. I won't be surprised if the 6G Ranger has a delayed release date.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
I believe they will offer the 2.7 in the upcoming truck. The information on new products, (Bronco and Ranger announcement a few years before they were released, Maverick, Lightning etc.) is to pacify the stock holders. It is blowing up in Ford's face as the Bronco rollout has been an epic fail thanks to a bottom tier hard top supplier and other quality issues (mirrors/grill whistling in the wind, soft tops rubbing paint off the roll bar and rubbing holes in top material etc.) the Maverick, Lightning and every thing else will be constrained by chip shortages so those pre orders will not be reality for many. This is getting ugly fast for Ford mainly due to the "early release" strategy to make share holders happy. My Bronco was pushed back to a 2022 and they are no longer offering the Rapid Red. I am walking away from the Bronco (was supposed to re-order my 22' in September) and walking away from Ford. Farley has said Ford will take more of a "build to order" approach in the future to keep dealer supply down and transaction prices up. I think it will be a disaster as a lot of vehicle buyers are spontaneous and don't want to walk in, sit down and order something only to have to pay full MSRP and wait 4-6 months for it. I think he is basing this off the Bronco reservations of 190k that were converted into 125k orders. However, a lot of those 125k order holders are walking away like myself. If I can pull into a GM or Ram lot and drive 10-20 different trucks and then negotiate thousands off MSRP, why would I wait and pay full price on a Ford? Dealers are gonna get screwed if this happens too. The dealer I use expanded their lot a few years ago to accommodate mainly F-150 supply. They used to carry 100-125 F-150's. Under this new Farley strategy they're gonna have 25-50 trucks? No way is that gonna be good for their business. And we thought Hackett the hatchett was a bad CEO. Farley is already looking like another failed hire for the top spot.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I believe they will offer the 2.7 in the upcoming truck. The information on new products, (Bronco and Ranger announcement a few years before they were released, Maverick, Lightning etc.) is to pacify the stock holders. It is blowing up in Ford's face as the Bronco rollout has been an epic fail thanks to a bottom tier hard top supplier and other quality issues (mirrors/grill whistling in the wind, soft tops rubbing paint off the roll bar and rubbing holes in top material etc.) the Maverick, Lightning and every thing else will be constrained by chip shortages so those pre orders will not be reality for many. This is getting ugly fast for Ford mainly due to the "early release" strategy to make share holders happy. My Bronco was pushed back to a 2022 and they are no longer offering the Rapid Red. I am walking away from the Bronco (was supposed to re-order my 22' in September) and walking away from Ford. Farley has said Ford will take more of a "build to order" approach in the future to keep dealer supply down and transaction prices up. I think it will be a disaster as a lot of vehicle buyers are spontaneous and don't want to walk in, sit down and order something only to have to pay full MSRP and wait 4-6 months for it. I think he is basing this off the Bronco reservations of 190k that were converted into 125k orders. However, a lot of those 125k order holders are walking away like myself. If I can pull into a GM or Ram lot and drive 10-20 different trucks and then negotiate thousands off MSRP, why would I wait and pay full price on a Ford? Dealers are gonna get screwed if this happens too. The dealer I use expanded their lot a few years ago to accommodate mainly F-150 supply. They used to carry 100-125 F-150's. Under this new Farley strategy they're gonna have 25-50 trucks? No way is that gonna be good for their business. And we thought Hackett the hatchett was a bad CEO. Farley is already looking like another failed hire for the top spot.
That was a really interesting write up. A little while back I went to Rich Ford here in Albuquerque and they only had one XLT ranger that had just come in. I was not interested in that and the sales guys said I can order one and it will arrive in a month (which I knew is complete crap). But no trucks to look at. I just walked off. And if its their intention to make me pay addendums over MSRP I won't buy it. Any Ford. If this is their strategy then i'm also out. People ain't going to be paying these insane prices for much longer IMO. I looked at a new frontier that cost 15 percent more then the outgoing. And with the addendum it was pushing 50K. These dealers are nuts. I paid 35K OTD for my loaded 2019 P4X. I'm thinking I might just drive that for awhile. Those Port injected motors can run well over 300K miles anyways.
Sponsored