• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I have seen Zero indication there will be anything but the legacy 2.3L + 10spd offered in any version other than Raptor. I'm good with that. Ask yourself why would it make sense financially for Ford to do anything else at this point in time? Tacoma is the benchmark for all midsize players, and they sell nearly 250k units per year with no hybrid available. We've seen a production road map for the 6G going out to 2029 with no hybrid. Then they tweak the platform again to run another decade with only a "EV" generic notation. IMO, the return on investment slicing off precious resources and adding production complexity just isn't there for a hybrid when the trend is to force everyone into full BEV eventually. Of course I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️
This keeps appearing on various Ford Authority posts. "It’s unclear what engines might be available in the U.S.-spec 2024 Ford Ranger at this time, but it’s likely that the new pickup will retain the turbocharged Ford 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost as its base powerplant. " Here is what I think why it makes sense to offer V-6 in other than the Raptor. Ford uses the V-6 in 4 other vehicles, probably not a shortage of the motor. Including it in any 2024 Ranger variation would increase sales of non-Raptor models and have little impact on Raptor sales.
Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
This keeps appearing on various Ford Authority posts. "It’s unclear what engines might be available in the U.S.-spec 2024 Ford Ranger at this time, but it’s likely that the new pickup will retain the turbocharged Ford 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost as its base powerplant. " Here is what I think why it makes sense to offer V-6 in other than the Raptor. Ford uses the V-6 in 4 other vehicles, probably not a shortage of the motor. Including it in any 2024 Ranger variation would increase sales of non-Raptor models and have little impact on Raptor sales.
After seeing the post that was on the Raptor forum a few days ago that has since been removed I have changed my stance on whether or not the non-Raptor Ranger will get the 2.7L . The photo of the underhood sticker showing the engine specs for all models of the Ranger did indeed include the 2.7 and this was on a pre-production Raptor. The only reason I think that sticker was legit is because it listed all three engine choices (2.3, 2.7 & 3.0) as GTDI which means Gas Turbine Direct Injection. Why is that important? Because if it were lets say a Bronco sticker that got placed there by mistake, which is possible since the Ranger and Bronco share the same assembly line, it would have listed the 2.7 as PFDI which means Port Fuel Direct Injection. In other words the Bronco 2.7 gets both port and direct injection whereas the Ranger 2.7 will apparently get direct injection only. I have no idea why they are different other than DI is just a less expensive option because it literally has fewer parts.
In the past I could understand why Ford did not want to make the 2.7 available in the Ranger. Doing so would have made the Ranger a more viable alternative to the F-150 which was not even close to what Ford wanted. Now, with higher fuel prices and a questionable economy, full-size truck sales may start to slide a bit and being more competitive in the mid-size market might now be a little more appealing to Ford which is great for those who don't want a 4 cyl truck.

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
Gladiator has 442 lb/ft available from the diesel, more coming soon from the Hurricane I-6T. Colorado has 430 lb/ft. The new Tacoma is rumored to have a hybrid turbo engine that'll end up in that same ballpark. And these are on non-top spec trims. So Ford, being known for wanting to lead the class, will surely NOT keep the 2.3, right? I mean, it's a LONG stretch from 310 lb/ft to where all the competition is.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Gladiator has 442 lb/ft available from the diesel, more coming soon from the Hurricane I-6T. Colorado has 430 lb/ft. The new Tacoma is rumored to have a hybrid turbo engine that'll end up in that same ballpark. And these are on non-top spec trims. So Ford, being known for wanting to lead the class, will surely NOT keep the 2.3, right? I mean, it's a LONG stretch from 310 lb/ft to where all the competition is.
where'd you get that idea? I've never seen them bragging about class leading HP or torque numbers- unless maybe it was a Mustang. 5G Ranger was ~100k unit annual category for them and then crashed when they announced 6G was coming. Just my opinion, but I expect they will only offer 2.3L base engine at launch until they see if they can get sufficient sales back to at least where they were 2 years ago. In the meantime only premium versions will get a bigger motor option for a year or 2. Hopefully they can get commitments for enough parts to even build the 100K target the way things have been going last couple years :frown:

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
where'd you get that idea? I've never seen them bragging about class leading HP or torque numbers- unless maybe it was a Mustang. 5G Ranger was ~100k unit annual category for them and then crashed when they announced 6G was coming. Just my opinion, but I expect they will only offer 2.3L base engine at launch until they see if they can get sufficient sales back to at least where they were 2 years ago. In the meantime only premium versions will get a bigger motor option for a year or 2. Hopefully they can get commitments for enough parts to even build the 100K target the way things have been going last couple years :frown:
The other problem is that the Ranger shares MAP with the Bronco and they can't fill all the orders they already have for that. Makes no sense.

Sponsored

Tagtexas

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
It is extremely annoying that Ford has not released any details to the US consumers about a vehicle that was released to the rest of the world over a year ago. Makes me wonder if there are problems with the new model that can’t be readily fixed? Or are they going to surprise us with a PHEV right out of the blocks?

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is extremely annoying that Ford has not released any details to the US consumers about a vehicle that was released to the rest of the world over a year ago. Makes me wonder if there are problems with the new model that can’t be readily fixed? Or are they going to surprise us with a PHEV right out of the blocks?
The 2024 underhood engine spec sticker that we have already seen didn't include anything about a hybrid powertrain so I doubt you will see that in this market for a few more years. The European models would probably get it first anyway. Again, I think the production schedule for the Ranger has been affected by the fact that they need to build out Broncos ASAP and that leaves little or no production capacity for the Ranger and especially not for a sort of all new model with all the "opportunities" that can create.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
really, that's the only 2 possibilities you can come up with? I think there are a couple other obvious reasons. I see a lot of people on enthusiast forums pining for a PHEV anything, but to me it's not realistically going to be a big seller worthy of building soon, or in big quantities. It just won't work for a huge part of America- those of us in rural areas and urban dwellers. Most people in my area don't have a garage for installing chargers, and same for people packed into cities and mostly renting. Nowhere to plug in is a fatal flaw to mass acceptance of PHEV in my thinking. It will mostly be interesting to suburbanites in tract housing developments with garages and/or those who have option to plug in and charge at work. That introduces frailties of the grid to the conversation. CA has already had multiple high grid use alerts where they warn people NOT to charge either at work or at home to save the grid and rolling blackouts. Can't win for losing on some of these vehicle alternatives :headbang:

Tagtexas

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
i live In a rural community and we have had electricity here for over 100 years. Electric vehicles are coming and yes the infrastructure is the limiting factor now just like paved roads were in the early days of the automobile.

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most people who live in cities and rent an apartment don't even drive. They either walk, call a cab or uber, or take public transit and mostly the latter.

CaptAngry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Taco
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Most people who live in cities and rent an apartment don't even drive. They either walk, call a cab or uber, or take public transit and mostly the latter.
Have you even been to a city? 🤔

Our public "officials" here in Denver seem to believe that farce. But I don't know anyone without a car. Other than a few exceptions, the majority of city people still own and drive cars.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Public transit, like a bus? How exactly are working people, especially, supposed to make that work? Everyday things we take for granted like taking kids to and from school, mid-day Doctor appointments, shopping, errands on the way home from work, etc. Just not practical despite certain politicians' pipe dreams.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Public transit, like a bus? How exactly are working people, especially, supposed to make that work? Everyday things we take for granted like taking kids to and from school, mid-day Doctor appointments, shopping, errands on the way home from work, etc. Just not practical despite certain politicians' pipe dreams.
It’s actually very easy when you don’t have people trying to handicap it before it even begins. Several countries already do it.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
i live In a rural community and we have had electricity here for over 100 years. Electric vehicles are coming and yes the infrastructure is the limiting factor now just like paved roads were in the early days of the automobile.
Have you had fast chargers in every garage there for over 100 years too? I'd love to confirm Proof of Concept with the extensive supporting data you provide.
Thanks!
Sponsored