Front skid plates - let's discuss

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
After visiting a local dealer last month, I skipped looking inside the cab and went right underneath to study a production TRD Sport Tacoma on display. What caught my immediate attention was the "what was that for a front skid plate" fabric felt looking thing. I guess the TRD Off-Road has a flimsy fake composite one likewise.

Being a 4X4 truck, it should have proper armor underneath, less it is a street queen. Toyota used to put a decent front skid plate, but I guess with most of society focusing on ride comfort over capability, we end up with the phony protection up front.

Aftermarket is working on some, I like the Victory 4x4 setup, and hope they come with just a stand-alone front skid plate before I look to see if I require full protection underneath. I had a complete Bud-Built system back in the day with my 2010 SR5 bronze oxide 4x4. I do like the low-profile front bumpers coming to the market like Victory 4x4 has and others because I have had some massive front protection back in the day as should any 4x4, even a TRD Sport that I am getting soon.

Here is the TRD Sport fabric felt so-called plate up front. Not good for a 4x4:

thumbnail_20240224_112815.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I attached some pics of the Victory 4x4 front skid plate and armor protection, as well as my old Bud-Built system on my 2010 SR5, as well as examples of massive front plate systems on my old 1986 Toyota Baja race truck and even my little 85 Toyota 2wd that was running on 32's, with the rare 4-speed manual gear box.

Yeah, even my 2wd Toyota boasted a proper front skid plate.

182A4970.png

DSCI0065.jpg

DSCN1583.JPG

DSCN1629.JPG

thumbnail_20240317_074333.jpg

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
I’m with you OP. Really hoping the aftermarket guys start cranking out quality functional accessories. Bumpers, skids and quality suspension upgrades.

One of the reasons why this is my first Toyota OR vehicle is for the vast amount of aftermarket support. Jeep still is the king in my opinion for aftermarket goods, but the Toyota platform is a close second.

I like what the victory 4x4 guys are doing, seems they are really prioritizing the first to market mantra. Hope they keep it up.

Reactions: oxi

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
The TRD Off Road is mostly an appearance package with a rear locker and that is good enough for most buyers. The tires were chosen for fuel efficiency, a space saver spare to save costs and weight, subpar skid plate protection, etc. The bones are there but that means replacing/upgrading components in the aftermarket. Toyota was aiming for a price point and knew that the people who cared about those things would be replacing them anyways. If you want all that from the factory you can step up to a TRD Pro or Trailhunter but now you're spending $60k+.

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I’m with you OP. Really hoping the aftermarket guys start cranking out quality functional accessories. Bumpers, skids and quality suspension upgrades.

One of the reasons why this is my first Toyota OR vehicle is for the vast amount of aftermarket support. Jeep still is the king in my opinion for aftermarket goods, but the Toyota platform is a close second.

I like what the victory 4x4 guys are doing, seems they are really prioritizing the first to market mantra. Hope they keep it up.

Toyota is 2nd only to Jeep with after market support.

Back in the day it was all about companies like Downey off-road.

My 86 Baja truck had Downey front and rear bumpers, skid plate, front hoop kit and rear dual shock kits on it before we later modded stuff ourselves with the help of Scott Sells, 4-time stock class champion with his 88 Toyota xtra cab pickup. Like front lower shock mounts on top of the upper a-arms to strengthening the rear axles. (pic of my 2010 SR5 rear axle)

My old 86 Toyota in bottom pic had the conversion with front shock mounts, hard to see...

DSCN1724.JPG

DSCN1635.JPG

2baja432.jpg

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
The Felt will work for me...my Hybrid Sport will be a street driven 4x4...no overlanding or rock crawling for my Utility vehicle
Sponsored