• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Full-time 4WD Ranger: Possible or dreaming?

Romans 10:13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max
Occupation
Teacher
I'm in Thailand and was a bit gutted to learn we will not get the Ranger in Diesel V6TT full-time 4WD form (not actually sure if that variant will even be made here, or only SA?). It is what it is so I must accept it (lucky we still get the Raptor in V6), but it got me thinking. As far as I can tell:

* The outgoing model of the Everest here has (permanent) full-time 4WD with the 2.0D TT and the 10R80
* The Thai Ranger Raptor is full-time 4WD with the 3.0V6 Petrol TT and the 10R80 (not the same 4WD system as the Everest?)
* The Thai Wildtrak in part-time 4WD form has the 2.0D TT and the 10R80 (which has the same control as the Raptor minus the 'A' option for full-time 4WD)

So, if some Ranger (Ranger-based) vehicles have the 2.0 Diesel TT and the 10R80 gearbox with full-time 4WD, what would be involved in converting the new Thai Ranger Wildtrak from part-time to full-time 4WD (which has the 2.0TT and the 10R80), i.e. have the 'A' option on the drive selector (which is currently missing)? In my dreams it would just be some type of 'clutchy thing' in the gearbox like the Tritons have? and possibly another ECU and/or minor work on the loom? This is a less-than-ideal idea for a new vehicle I know, but just want to better understand the mechanical differences to try to gauge my chances.

I would appreciate any input from those in the know (even if it is bringing me back to reality). The alternative would be a Triton (hence my attempt with this thread) as it is the only pickup over here with my much desired full-time 4WD option.... which I love here especially as it is a flat country with lots of rain, surprises on the road, and exciting drivers.

The basic specs from Ford Thailand are included below:

Ford Ranger Full-time 4WD Ranger: Possible or dreaming? Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 01.22.05
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Hi Tim,

The Ranger's AWD T-Case is different to the outgoing Everest's, the Everest was permanent AWD with low range, but no actual lock (i.e. it did unlocked AWD high and AWD low). The new Ranger (in some configs) borrows the Bronco's T-Case, which can do 2WD high, AWD high, locked 4WD high and locked 4WD low. In Australia the Ranger with the 2.0TTD is only coming with the standard 2H, 4H, 4L same as the outgoing car, only the V6TD and V6TT Ecoboost are getting the permanent 4x4 T-Case (which isn't permanent as it can do 2WD). FYI the Ecoboost gets the 10R60 transmission.

As for manufacturing, Thailand will be building V6TD vehicles, as Thailand supplies Ranger and Everest to Australia.

OP
OP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max
Occupation
Teacher
Thank you very much for the excellent reply Bill - just what I was after!

Unfortunately it looks to be a no-go, so glad to have been brought back to reality. Also sad to hear the V6TD will be made but not sold here - to get a similar V6TD full-time 4WD drivetrain you are spending 3-4 times Wildtrak money for something in the X5 class (Apples and Oranges I know).

Anyway, I'm sure Ford Thailand will miss the one V6TD sale they would have made haha - who knows, maybe in a few years it will be released. I can't for the life of me think of why it would not be sold here given it would be less than the Raptor and 10x more practical for Thailand IMHO....but I expect there are reasons.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.....need to get used to the 3 diamonds but will still be following Aussie feedback on the V6TD. My old man has a Disco 4, and while the Ranger is no Land Rover I've always been a fan of the engine (excluding having to pay for broken things) hence my excitement when I heard it (or a very similar Lion variant?) was to be added to the Ranger.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Unfortunately it looks to be a no-go, so glad to have been brought back to reality. Also sad to hear the V6TD will be made but not sold here - to get a similar V6TD full-time 4WD drivetrain you are spending 3-4 times Wildtrak money for something in the X5 class (Apples and Oranges I know).
Unfortunately I think it'll be way too hard, the mechanical side would be the easy bit. It's the PCM side that'll be difficult.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.....need to get used to the 3 diamonds but will still be following Aussie feedback on the V6TD. My old man has a Disco 4, and while the Ranger is no Land Rover I've always been a fan of the engine (excluding having to pay for broken things) hence my excitement when I heard it (or a very similar Lion variant?) was to be added to the Ranger.
It's the F-150's redesigned Lion, not much was left unchanged. New crank, block, bearings, exhaust, turbo, EGR - the list goes on. Hopefully it'll be even more reliable than the JLR spec engines (no reports of crank failures in the F-150 to date).

drunkntigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLE
Hi Tim,

The Ranger's AWD T-Case is different to the outgoing Everest's, the Everest was permanent AWD with low range, but no actual lock (i.e. it did unlocked AWD high and AWD low). The new Ranger (in some configs) borrows the Bronco's T-Case, which can do 2WD high, AWD high, locked 4WD high and locked 4WD low. In Australia the Ranger with the 2.0TTD is only coming with the standard 2H, 4H, 4L same as the outgoing car, only the V6TD and V6TT Ecoboost are getting the permanent 4x4 T-Case (which isn't permanent as it can do 2WD). FYI the Ecoboost gets the 10R60 transmission.

As for manufacturing, Thailand will be building V6TD vehicles, as Thailand supplies Ranger and Everest to Australia.
Hi there

I'm choosing between the 2.0 Biturbo in the Ranger wildtrak vs the 3.0 V6, the V6 won't arrive till 2023 most likely and I can get the biturbo much sooner.

I read in a review specification and on here it seems that the biturbo is only part time 4WD meaning I guess we need to manually set the drive mode when on the road and we cannot drive in 4WD mode when in suburbia and only sometimes when wet on the freeway?

That said, you mentioned the the V6 3.0 version is full time 4wd not permanent, I'm guessing there is no negative to this only that we could possibly save fuel by running it in 2WD mode without damaging any components?

Many thanks beforehand.

***Edit: Furthermore, even with the V6 3.0, I'm guessing it is not an Auto 4WD, but just Full Time if requested (Not always on as you have said where it would mean it would be 4x4 all the time). However in the V6 3.0 it would be safe to leave it in Full Time 4WD as it has a third differential to prevent damage during tight turns?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max
Occupation
Teacher
@ Bill - thanks very much for the additional info. Salt into the wound though (that the engine is even better but I can't have it) haha - but seriously, good to hear the redesigned spec has had so much work put into it and think it will sell well in many markets in Ranger/Everest spec.

@ Drunkntigr - my 2 cents are that it depends on when you need it and how much you want to drive in 4WD mode on sealed roads. (for me that is always, but most people don't share my views).

From what Bill has explained the ONLY Rangers to be able to use 4WD on sealed roads seem to be the Raptor V6TT and the Wildtrak V6TD (although different markets could do strange things - who knows?) - these both have the 'A' setting (full-time 4WD) as well as the 4H/4L and 2H settings, the latter allowing you to run RWD only.

That said, if you don't really care that much about 4WD on sealed roads and you can't wait an extra year? then the 2.0TT would seem to be a good choice.

drunkntigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLE
@ Bill - thanks very much for the additional info. Salt into the wound though (that the engine is even better but I can't have it) haha - but seriously, good to hear the redesigned spec has had so much work put into it and think it will sell well in many markets in Ranger/Everest spec.

@ Drunkntigr - my 2 cents are that it depends on when you need it and how much you want to drive in 4WD mode on sealed roads. (for me that is always, but most people don't share my views).

From what Bill has explained the ONLY Rangers to be able to use 4WD on sealed roads seem to be the Raptor V6TT and the Wildtrak V6TD (although different markets could do strange things - who knows?) - these both have the 'A' setting (full-time 4WD) as well as the 4H/4L and 2H settings, the latter allowing you to run RWD only.

That said, if you don't really care that much about 4WD on sealed roads and you can't wait an extra year? then the 2.0TT would seem to be a good choice.
Yes here in Australia the Wildtrak V6 is the only way to get the Automative full time 4WD mode. Changed my order from the 2.0 to the new 3.0 V6, extra wait maybe of 6 months as everything is just a shoulder shrug atm, all the cars are still on a ship coming from Thailand.

Given I don't drive with heavy loads in the back it's just peace of mind to have all 4 wheels going. From my understanding, it's a 50/50 split or similar but nothing as advance as that on an xdrive or 4matic mercedes.

Cods82

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 FX4 SuperCrew, 2020 F250 SCrew Tremor
Occupation
Self-oilfield
My OCD/stubborn age(?) doesn't work well with full-time AWD, not even 4-Auto. If I can't shift the T-case in/out of 4H, 4L, 2H electronically or manually I'd probably go crazy thinking it's ruining the MPG, damaging T-Case or ruining the WB/CV shafts needle bearings. Lol I'm sure these newer trucks think I'm a control freak but I like to know when things are going into operation and regularly battling the Traction Control Sys cutting power and tapping brakes when I want full RPMs and 0 whoa especially when my tires starting sinking in good wet gumbo mud but computer wants me stuck lol
Sponsored