Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tacoma4g.com
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Tacoma4G has partnered with our friends at TFLTruck to bring you this Super Ike Gauntlet extreme towing test between a fully loaded 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road and the 2023 Chevy Colorado Trail Boss!

The Ike Gauntlet towing test features over 11,000 ft elevation, 8 miles, 7% grade. Towing 6500 LBS.

Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
5 mpg. How big is the tank, 18 gallons? There is a few stretches in the interior mountains you may need to carry a Jerry can of gas.
Good to know if needed it can tow a car through mountains though, not going to do that all the time anyway.

Holdntight

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
5mpg beat the Colorado and the uphill time was pretty much a tie. Overall very close results, good comparison. Cool T4G plug 🤘

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
I saw commented before which I think hits the nail on the head. Mr Truck mentions top of class capabilities and why the 2024 Tacoma didn't try to grab that title with this new model.

Toyota never goes for top in class. That's the reason it's so reliable and known for that, because it doesn't try to be class leading which is great for marketing but meaningless if pushing the limits means more issues down the road.

It did very respectably in this test, I was impressed.

tacoboutit

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EXL
Okay well if we are gonna go giving extra points for extraneous categories, how about reliabilty and resale value? Tacoma wins in both.

RGk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
trucks
Okay well if we are gonna go giving extra points for extraneous categories, how about reliabilty and resale value? Tacoma wins in both.
Exactly this. Weird that they added price. It seems like they did that only because Mr. Truck mentioned it. What does that have to do with the towing contest?

If this were a best value comparison we'd be adding reliability, resale, MPG, standard features etc.

tacoboutit

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EXL
Exactly this. Weird that they added price. It seems like they did that only because Mr. Truck mentioned it. What does that have to do with the towing contest?

If this were a best value comparison we'd be adding reliability, resale, MPG, standard features etc.
I like how they glossed over the software issues of the Chevy when in a previous video on that truck, the software rendered it almost undrivable. Lol I didn't see any software issues in the Tacoma, let alone truck-breaking ones.

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I like how they glossed over the software issues of the Chevy when in a previous video on that truck, the software rendered it almost undrivable. Lol I didn't see any software issues in the Tacoma, let alone truck-breaking ones.
And it's not like it's a particularly rare issue, It seems to be fairly common. The Yota ain't doin' that.

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Honda Pioneer 1000
That's reassuring.
I dont plant to tow alot but I will run it near max capacity a few times a year.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
It was impressive to see the Tacoma, while being down on HP and torque, not struggling any more with this load. The fuel consumption is fine- most trucks use more than twice their regular towing mileage on this test, or somewhere below 1/4 the unloaded mpg. The fuel tank size is really marginal though.
That odd Toyota payload calculation came up again- Subtracting payload from GVWR, Andrey came up with 5000lb curb weight. I think Toyota is including multiple occupants in their calculation. from the video- 6240-1200=5040. 5040-380 (2x 50th percentile male)=4660. That would be squarely in the upper end of the toyota spec from the product detail PDF.

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
It was impressive to see the Tacoma, while being down on HP and torque, not struggling any more with this load. The fuel consumption is fine- most trucks use more than twice their regular towing mileage on this test, or somewhere below 1/4 the unloaded mpg. The fuel tank size is really marginal though.
That odd Toyota payload calculation came up again- Subtracting payload from GVWR, Andrey came up with 5000lb curb weight. I think Toyota is including multiple occupants in their calculation. from the video- 6240-1200=5040. 5040-380 (2x 50th percentile male)=4660. That would be squarely in the upper end of the toyota spec from the product detail PDF.
C&D weighed a similarly spec'd base TRD OR at 4670lbs and a premium at 4794. For some reason Toyota chose to put 1200lbs on every TRD OR when in theory it should be a lot higher and right on par with the Trail Boss.

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
C&D weighed a similarly spec'd base TRD OR at 4670lbs and a premium at 4794. For some reason Toyota chose to put 1200lbs on every TRD OR when in theory it should be a lot higher and right on par with the Trail Boss.
Thanks for the info Alex, where did you see the other C&D weight for the non-premium OR?

And has anyone weighed or found the actual payload of a SR5 yet?
Sponsored