Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Picked up my Tacoma today and I couldn't be more ecstatic. It's hard to find any complaints when there isn't many. Here's my initial thoughts followed by some photos. I will only review what I had the pleasure of using sense the last 8+ hours.

Drive Train/Engine: Being a 6M, and having it be 10+ years sense I last pressed a clutch in I'm fairly impressed. I hopped in and went off like a pro. 1st - 2nd is still a little jerky, but I'll iron it out as I grow accustom.

The engine noise is rough, I won't sugar coat it. It has a growl to it that I didn't expect from a i4 which is nice and the turbo noise at times can be very loud, and very enjoyable. Being the 6M it doesn't have active noise cancelling and that's VERY noticeable lol, it doesn't sound great at certain RPMs.

The clutch it's self is smooth like butter and very predictable. It's very linear and not hard on the legs to push in.

Changing gears takes a little elbow grease, not sure if that'll get easier over time or if I just need to drink more milk lol.

iMT is iffy with me. It helps dramatically with the rev match assist, especially not being at all familiar with toe heel, but it makes my upshifts much more choppy and rough, I'm guessing too much rev hang from the assist. Which is another thing we all knew, the rev hang is pretty gnarly as is with most modern manuals. With iMT on and releasing the clutch you'll push forward a little more conservative, with it off you'll lunge forward pretty quickly.

With or without iMT off I find I rarely ever have to touch the throttle when letting off the clutch from a stop, which is nice. Hardly any rollback unless the hill is steep.

First gear is noticeably short, almost too short. But you don't overly have to worry because having it in second at an incredibly low speed doesn't even seem to phase the taco, even with iMT off. I have yet to stall it. My friend who hasn't drove manual in over 15 years never stalled, although he had trouble telling the difference between second and fourth lol.

The steering is incredible. My 2018 Camry had electric steering too but I can't even begin to compare, it's so much more lighter and smoother.

The suspension and handling has surpassed any expectations I've had for a midsized truck. So much smoother riding than leaf springs but you still get that truck feel without any of the negatives. It still hugs the road as you'd like, there's zero lane travel almost as if you're driving a sedan. I can almost compare it to my Camry SE when it comes to handling, I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet but I'm almost certain it'll perform more than you'll ever need a mid sized truck to.

(It's so much taller in person, you feel pretty high up when sitting driver and passenger)

Looks/Body: This Tacoma hasn't stopped breaking necks sense I drove it off the lot, my passengers were actively watching for it and I'd say the vast majority of everyone I passed did at least a double take, if not triple lol. I had one Tacoma guy turn right around in his seat to watch me pass by.

People were worried the hood scoop effected visibility, and honestly I can't say I do notice any visibility loss. On the trails, perhaps, but the hood it's self would be a concern on the trails, not so much the scoop. It's pretty low profile when you're sitting in the drivers seat (and it looks fantastic)

The underbody (running boards) is coated with some sort of protectant, it gives the running boards a truck bed liner look and texture, although it's hardly noticeable unless you really look. I inquired about it because I've never seen anything like it before and was told this is what Toyota does with all their new vehicles now, apparently helps with rust protection.

The 5ft bed looks so much smaller than what I had pictured, but it'll do what I need it to do, just sucks you can't get the 6M in a 6ft bed.

The backseats are tight, for leg room. I personally thought they were much tighter than a mid sized truck needed to be but the three passengers I had in back (6' being the max height) didn't complain at all, and when I asked them they said it's not all the roomy, but it's also not effecting them, they still had about an inch of leg room.

I've had a couple people tell me when sitting up front it feels much more roomy than it actually is, so good job on the design there Toyota.

I'm still mixed about how the rear bumper meets the bed, I suspect a bumper swap incoming.

The power seats are great, the adjust to all different kinds of angles, no complaints.

Electronics/Features: The headlight adjustment dial is awesome, I can see a lot of folks get use out of this when towing, easy to use. As is the trailer brake, perfectly in reach but also hidden enough not to stick out. I was told the offroad doesn't come with the trailer brake. Seems backwards to me, but whatever. Glad I have it. Good to note the Sport+ does come with a ball and hitch located under the rear seats.

The stereo/head unit seems good so far. I did have an issue once with android auto not automatically connecting and it also seemed to revert my sound settings to default the first time when I turned my truck off. I'll find out tomorrow morning if it did that once again to me.

The JBL audio is ... okay? It'd definitely an upgrade from what I got, and the bass is there, but at low volume there's hardly any bass and certain songs don't work very well with the subwoofer.

The sunroof tilt is a little disappointing to me, it tilts very little, and the little accordion seal actually popped off on one side, I'm hoping I can just pop it back in and it won't be a shop visit.

I can't for the life of my figure out how to use clutch cancel start, even pressing it it still insists I press the clutch and brake in to start, I'll have to read up in the manual.

Drive modes definitely have a difference with the pedal mapping. Sport is very touchy on the gas, just how I like it lol.

Lane keeping assist is miles ahead of my previous Toyota, it'll definitely keep you in the lane even if that lane is hardly visible.

Wireless charging works very well and fits my Fold 5 no problems at all, being such a thick phone, unless you got a Nokia you'll fit anything in there.

The dash is great in my opinion, displays everything very well, it's very adjustable and it looks fantastic.

Summary: All in, I think this is an amazing truck, I'm over the moon happy and I expect to have this truck for a very long time to come. My buddy who owns a 2nd gen Tacoma is absolutely star struck over this truck and he went from "I'm never trading in" to "why did you do this to me" in a matter of minutes. I really wish it had the power tailgate just for the coolness factor although it does have the dampening tailgate and it's very, very light. I also wish they didn't have "supply chain issues" so I could've had the electronic mirror, although I feel like it would've been more trouble than not. I also don't see any buttons on the mirror besides the 3 garage door opener buttons so I assume it's always powered on and ready to dim.

The sales guys were really sad to see it go, and insisted I come visit and say hi anytime I get a service done lol

Thank you Toyota for making an absolutely stunning truck for the 4th generation, I'm proud to be able to drive one.

She's #606 from the plant, and the first one in my city. Apparently 1 of three to ever be brought into Alberta, although I have no idea how many are currently in Alberta now.

Any questions on things I may have missed, feel free to ask away and I'll get to it as soon as I can!

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos {filename}

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_163312
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_163321
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_163331
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_163404
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_163448
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 20240315_172239

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 4th gen vs 2nd gen Tacoma

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 4th gen vs 2nd gen Tacoma 1
Sponsored

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
Thanks for that side-by-side! I have a 2nd gen OR (in my ID photo) in pyrite whatever and have a deposit on a 2024 OR hybrid in bronze oxide. The colors look identical (maybe Toyota brought the color back and gave it a different name). I’ve been curious how these two compare aesthetically; again, thanks!

I love that they brought back 2nd gen “styling.” I never liked the 3rd gens. They just look a little like the yoga pants version of pickups. But, I’m a diehard Tacoma fan!

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Nice to hear some are in western Canada now. I chose a 6’ bed over the manual and can’t wait to get my hands on one.

Last edited:

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Wohoo finally a manual! I have one coming as well. I guess they at least exist

Oh and maybe I’m missing it, but how is the rev hang with iMT off?

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Wohoo finally a manual! I have one coming as well. I guess they at least exist

Oh and maybe I’m missing it, but how is the rev hang with iMT off?
As I'm driving her more and more, I honestly hardly notice a rev hang, but I'm also not shifting fast. 2 to 3rd to 4th and so on is smooth a butter, doesn't even feel like a manual but first is REALLY short and starting off in second I find is too much slippage. Going from first to second is where I notice the rev hang, I think it's due to first being so short so I'm revving fairly high to get into second, also cause her to clunk a little so I got to get a little used to that and smooth it out.

But the torque is on a whole new level. In first second and third with less than 1/4 gas you're taking off, and when in fifth and even sixth on the highway I find once the turbo spools up (which is pretty quick) she takes off.

I'm definitely happy I got a manual, and I'm sure you will be too! Unfortunately the engine noise in the manuals is a little too loud and not so wonderful sounding, that's my only negative

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I would not wait on getting a 6MT.

I think Toyota will discontinue the option in a few years. This may be the last generation to offer a manual.

Next up will be a 10-speed auto, no need for a dinosaur gearbox like a manual.

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Next up will be a 10-speed auto, no need for a dinosaur gearbox like a manual.
Eh, some people like me enjoy it. All my other cars and manuals. This is my first truck, and honestly I wouldn’t have considered it without it. I been needing a truck for projects and hauling a car to the track, but I was just going to buy something old as I didn’t want a snooze fest of driving an auto and spending a ton of money on it. Engagement is the critical word for me. So I’m very excited Toyota kept it.

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
As I'm driving her more and more, I honestly hardly notice a rev hang, but I'm also not shifting fast. 2 to 3rd to 4th and so on is smooth a butter, doesn't even feel like a manual but first is REALLY short and starting off in second I find is too much slippage. Going from first to second is where I notice the rev hang, I think it's due to first being so short so I'm revving fairly high to get into second, also cause her to clunk a little so I got to get a little used to that and smooth it out.

But the torque is on a whole new level. In first second and third with less than 1/4 gas you're taking off, and when in fifth and even sixth on the highway I find once the turbo spools up (which is pretty quick) she takes off.

I'm definitely happy I got a manual, and I'm sure you will be too! Unfortunately the engine noise in the manuals is a little too loud and not so wonderful sounding, that's my only negative
Nice info. I had a Mazda 3 before I decided to purchase this as a daily, and that 1-2 shift was easily 2-3 seconds waiting. I just got used to it, but was weird. I’m sure you could get a tune, I just never wanted to spend the money. But I did notice if you short shifted, it wasn’t nearly as bad. As far as I understand it’s all an emission thing or they wouldn’t put it in at all.

I’m usually pretty happy with no added features like noise canceling etc, I’ll have to see how I feel. I can probably see in this case it’s not great lol.

Also one more - as far as I know the autos have stop/start for the engine. This I assume doesn’t?

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Nice info. I had a Mazda 3 before I decided to purchase this as a daily, and that 1-2 shift was easily 2-3 seconds waiting. I just got used to it, but was weird. I’m sure you could get a tune, I just never wanted to spend the money. But I did notice if you short shifted, it wasn’t nearly as bad. As far as I understand it’s all an emission thing or they wouldn’t put it in at all.

I’m usually pretty happy with no added features like noise canceling etc, I’ll have to see how I feel. I can probably see in this case it’s not great lol.

Also one more - as far as I know the autos have stop/start for the engine. This I assume doesn’t?
Correct, no start stop .... Thankfully 🤣

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I'm wondering about the DRLs for us Canadians. Are the headlights the DRLs or is there a LED strip in the headlight housing or are the lower foglights the DRL?

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Sweet ride!! Congratulations.
6MT is where it's at imo.
Does the 6mt Sport + come with power outlet in the bed?

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Sweet ride!! Congratulations.
6MT is where it's at imo.
Does the 6mt Sport + come with power outlet in the bed?
Thank you! I agree, love the stick shift. Unfortunately no, it actually doesn't come with any of the storage compartments period. Which sucks, because I planned to store my tie downs in there, but I do have all underneath the rear seat.

Maybe in the future I'll pay someone to cut it up and install them lol.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I'm wondering about the DRLs for us Canadians. Are the headlights the DRLs or is there a LED strip in the headlight housing or are the lower foglights the DRL?
I meant to check for you today, I will do it tomorrow and let you know. I know for sure it comes from the headlights, unsure from which bulb though.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot I snapped a picture quickly when driving home today. It's the projector by the looks of it, it's also hardly visible in the day.

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 1000003378

Last edited:

Ti421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’ve been curious how the adaptive cruise would work with the manual. The “TSS 3.0 full speed dynamic cruise” is supposed to work down to 0 mph and then automatically accelerate again when the car in front of you moves, so I’ve been wondering if you just don’t get those features with the manual or does the iMT try to prevent stalling at low speeds? I wouldn’t think it could go down to 0 unless you put the clutch in. Just curious how these sensor systems interplay with an old school transmission.
Sponsored