• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Is open rear window just as good as the tilted-open sunroof ?

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been thinking about this for a while so I figured I'd ask the forum, too.

I'm a big fan of a sunroof and almost always have it tiltled open, even in the rain/snow/freezing cold, as the discrete, quiet airflow it provides is much better than cracking a window in anything other than nice weather. On perfect days I'll open it completely and have all the windows down as well.

Now that i'm considering a truck, I'm wondering if I need the sunroof with the addition of the rear window. I haven't ridden in many trucks recently to really have a good opinion on the value the rear-window brings.

In your opinion, is the rear window being open just as good as the tilted-open sunroof? Do you see a need for both? Are they even comparable? I'm trying to figure out if I want to avoid the upcharge of adding the sunroof to whatever truck I buy.
Sponsored

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Either works, sometimes I use both. The sunroof is a little easier to control air flow. Sunroof is nice for summer venting

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
Been thinking about this for a while so I figured I'd ask the forum, too.

I'm a big fan of a sunroof and almost always have it tiltled open, even in the rain/snow/freezing cold, as the discrete, quiet airflow it provides is much better than cracking a window in anything other than nice weather. On perfect days I'll open it completely and have all the windows down as well.

Now that i'm considering a truck, I'm wondering if I need the sunroof with the addition of the rear window. I haven't ridden in many trucks recently to really have a good opinion on the value the rear-window brings.

In your opinion, is the rear window being open just as good as the tilted-open sunroof? Do you see a need for both? Are they even comparable? I'm trying to figure out if I want to avoid the upcharge of adding the sunroof to whatever truck I buy.
I'm no scientist (first ever to admit that on an internet discussion board, lol), but I think:

Sunroof/moonroof used in conjunction with windows is better for overall cabin ventilation and climate control: the side windows pull air in, air circulates in the cabin, and air is sucked out through the top. More even cabin climate control, but left unchecked and your hair can look like you sent yourself through a twister.

Rear-window is better for feeling the breeze and avoiding the buffeting effect/Helmholtz Resonance: side windows pull air in and the rear-window escape point makes it pass by you and immediately exit out the rear. Wind can blast you in the face even harder (pro and con, situationally) and can also pull a fart out of the cabin PRONTO. :LOL:

Personally, I hope the 6g Ranger offers a sunroof/moonroof of some kind and a powered sliding rear window (think only manual sliding was offered on 5g). Sunroof/moonroofs are a luxury for certain, but if I am planning on owning it for 10+ years then it's a worthwhile luxury to have IMHO. That extra dopamine and serotonin you can occasionally get here in the Midwest on those "perfect" weather days are worth the price tag to me.
Sponsored

Last edited: