Load rating on tires

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
This is more of a generic question more then anything.

Load rating on tires. Alot of guys are running 285/65 or 70 tires which is what I'm considering running myself.

Question is all the tires I see are all load rating E, which I have always thought was more of a full size truck rating for like Tundra or 1500.

On my 4runner I run Nitto Ridge grapplers but I sent with the SL rating for a smoother ride. Would a SL load rating be to light for the Tacoma? I am getting a hybrid so that's where I'm getting mixed up I think. Any advice or break down in more simplified terms is great! I have read a bunch of the tire rack and discount tires right ups but not owning a truck in so long is throwing me off.

Little more context also, I don't plan on pulling a trailer or loading up tons of weight in the back of the truck. And if I go do any serious off roading I would be taking my 4runner being older and more set up for trails

Thanx guys
Sponsored

Discount Tire

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Things Toyota
This is more of a generic question more then anything.

Load rating on tires. Alot of guys are running 285/65 or 70 tires which is what I'm considering running myself.

Question is all the tires I see are all load rating E, which I have always thought was more of a full size truck rating for like Tundra or 1500.

On my 4runner I run Nitto Ridge grapplers but I sent with the SL rating for a smoother ride. Would a SL load rating be to light for the Tacoma? I am getting a hybrid so that's where I'm getting mixed up I think. Any advice or break down in more simplified terms is great! I have read a bunch of the tire rack and discount tires right ups but not owning a truck in so long is throwing me off.

Little more context also, I don't plan on pulling a trailer or loading up tons of weight in the back of the truck. And if I go do any serious off roading I would be taking my 4runner being older and more set up for trails

Thanx guys
Congratulations on your soon to be new Gen4 Taco Hybrid! You will have to let us know what your MPG looks like with the new Hybrid drive.

Your truck will come with a 4 ply 116 load index SL. If you choose to go with a bigger tire with a heavier load index, that's acceptable. Most forum members are going 285/70R17 and with out mods, it fits perfectly. Falken makes the A/T4W, BFGoodrich makes the Trail-Terrain, and Toyo makes the Open Country R/T to name a few. They will have the same SL rating as factory.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
Another reason to consider a higher load rating is if you plan to offroad and how much. At least with Toyo's the E rated tire comes with a more robust sidewall. That helps with longer sidewall life if you air down and also is more resistant to tire slashes from rocks along the trail.

OP
OP

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
Congratulations on your soon to be new Gen4 Taco Hybrid! You will have to let us know what your MPG looks like with the new Hybrid drive.

Your truck will come with a 4 ply 116 load index SL. If you choose to go with a bigger tire with a heavier load index, that's acceptable. Most forum members are going 285/70R17 and with out mods, it fits perfectly. Falken makes the A/T4W, BFGoodrich makes the Trail-Terrain, and Toyo makes the Open Country R/T to name a few. They will have the same SL rating as factory.
Definitely will let you guys know mpg when I finally get it! Hopefully July!

Will I be a heavier load rating being that the hybrid is heavier or would I be able to stick with an SL and have a bit more road comfort and lighter tire/wheel combo?

Spec sheet says my TRD OF hybrid will have 265/70r18 from factory but doesn't say what tires like it does for the pro and trailhunter. Im almost debating just throwing the Method 309 18x9+18 wheels I have on the stock tires for a little bit but they just look skinny on these trucks.

Discount Tire

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Things Toyota
Definitely will let you guys know mpg when I finally get it! Hopefully July!

Will I be a heavier load rating being that the hybrid is heavier or would I be able to stick with an SL and have a bit more road comfort and lighter tire/wheel combo?

Spec sheet says my TRD OF hybrid will have 265/70r18 from factory but doesn't say what tires like it does for the pro and trailhunter. Im almost debating just throwing the Method 309 18x9+18 wheels I have on the stock tires for a little bit but they just look skinny on these trucks.
The standard 18inch tire would be a 265/65R18 with a 114 load index and is considered a SL. The Trailhunter and TRD Pro with the hybrid drive will have the 265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler Territory R/T with a 116 load index but still rated as an SL tire. So you do have a higher load index, but the ride should still be comfortable.
Sponsored

Last edited: