Looking for review of 8" screen

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
Looking for input from those that have the 8" screen to see if they have any regrets. Is size the only difference and no other functionality?

The reviews I have seen from those with the 8" screen look fine, but I don't see any specific comments or comparisons to the 14" screen
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I think it's just the size, far as I know. It even still has the micro usb plug on the right side.

I was worried I figured I'd hate the 8", and even though I'd still rather the 14" I don't really have any complains about the 8". It's a perfect size and the bezel don't look half as big and gross as it do in pictures

sopranojam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly) 2016 Tacoma SR
Slightly off topic, but the one stinker about these trucks is the back window. It's nice that the back window is a full powered slide down, but it's not standard. Standard = back window can't open.

The back window should be openable on all as a standard feature, but you can't specify just the power window when building, and must get it as part of a bigger feature package.

If you are getting a powered back window, you are also getting a 14" multimedia screen with the sound system (I think, as far as I can see). As far as I know, this is the first time in Toyota pickup history that their pickups did not have a back window that opened on all of them.. All of the Tundras, even the base models, come with a powered back window.

Back on topic, if you're fine with the features that will be missing from the truck that also come with an 8" screen, the 8" screen should be totally fine. I would actually prefer an 8" screen for a bit more road visibility, but the 14" doesn't protrude too far over the dashboard to be an issue.

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
The upgrade package comes with powered back window and an 8" screen

sopranojam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly) 2016 Tacoma SR
The upgrade package comes with powered back window and an 8" screen
On I see, on the SR and SR5, they have 8". Looks like the SR has no powered window at all, the SR5 might have it with a package.

The 2016 Tacoma SR I used to drive had an 8" screen but it wasn't CarPlay enabled, and it was a fine size. I have a different vehicle with an 8" CarPlay-compatible display and it's totally fine. I see no problem with 8" display size in itself.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
My allocation has the upgrade package without the 14" screen and I've been wondering if I'll regret not having it on a pretty expensive truck. I think the 8" screen will be fine given that 95% of it's use will be Carplay maps. I have no qualms with the aftermarket 7" screen running Carplay in my current vehicle. Recently sat in a Honda with a 9" screen and thought it was a great size in a small ish interior.

The main benefit I see in the larger screen is having a better Netflix/YouTube experience for passengers on long road trips with one of the aftermarket dongles. Or running onX maps, etc. I think I'll appreciate the smaller screen for being less of a distraction.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
I prefer the 8"; it just looks to me that it fits better with the size of the interior of the Taco. And since my vision is still pretty good at 70 (I don't need glasses), I don't feel that it's worth $850 more, and that can buy quite a few other things for over landing adventures.

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
I honestly think the big screen is too large for the size of the interior in the Tacoma. I have the 8 inch and I'm happy with it. It has the same functionality as the 14 inch but I suppose if you had the upgraded cameras it might be better.
Sponsored