Sponsored

[Cause: Wet Connector] My 2024 Tacoma issues:Ultra-sonic detecting and ranging system, drive-start control system, radiator grill shutter, CEL

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
I was able to pickup my new 2024 Tacoma TRD off-road on Friday. 115 miles later the truck experienced significant failures and check engine lights. 4 different warnings lit up (Advanced Ultra-sonic detecting and ranging system, drive-start control system, radiator grill shutter and check engine).

Fortunately I was close to home and able to get to the dealer. Still no word from them, they have had the truck all day. 4 days old and already turning into a bad experience. Anyone else having troubles with their new Tacoma?
Sponsored

Jabstep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Yikes. They better get this stuff under control quickly. I'm getting close to moving on from the Tacoma. We've now heard of the shutter connector, bad fuel pump and bad transmission on a very limited number of vehicles in the hands of consumers. I cannot afford to have my vehicle in a shop.

FUBRWI

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz
I was able to pickup my new 2024 Tacoma TRD off-road on Friday. 115 miles later the truck experienced significant failures and check engine lights. 4 different warnings lit up (Advanced Ultra-sonic detecting and ranging system, drive-start control system, radiator grill shutter and check engine).

Fortunately I was close to home and able to get to the dealer. Still no word from them, they have had the truck all day. 4 days old and already turning into a bad experience. Anyone else having troubles with their new Tacoma?
Warnings all came on same time? Did you experience any issues along with it or did it drive normal?

OP
OP
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Warnings all came on same time? Did you experience any issues along with it or did it drive normal?
They all came on at the same time. Car still drove but given the number of problems that arose I immediately took it to the dealership.

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

There's at least one other on here if you look around. Also a dealer who mentioned two customers with transmission and fuel pump issues.

Check here - https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.89/

Hope yours comes back quickly. Keep us updated how it goes.

OP
OP
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
There's at least one other on here if you look around. Also a dealer who mentioned two customers with transmission and fuel pump issues.

Check here - https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.89/

Hope yours comes back quickly. Keep us updated how it goes.
Still at the dealer, not a quick fix or an easy solution. Not sure they know what the problem really is. I am very concerned that these trucks are not up to the usual toyota standards. In retrospect I feel like waiting is a much better option. there are obviously a lot of kincks in these new engines that Toyota has not resolved.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Still at the dealer, not a quick fix or an easy solution. Not sure they know what the problem really is. I am very concerned that these trucks are not up to the usual toyota standards. In retrospect I feel like waiting is a much better option. there are obviously a lot of kincks in these new engines that Toyota has not resolved.
I wouldnt jump to conclusions that this is some widespread massive issue. Another user simply had a plug that wasnt fully inserted correctly.

Not saying it isnt something major, just recommend trying to take it easy until you know. They might just not have the proper equipment/training to diagnosis (still funny though lol)

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I think there are over 1300 sold so far.

Just by pure statistics....there will be failures. Your number just came up.

OP
OP
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
I think there are over 1300 sold so far.

Just by pure statistics....there will be failures. Your number just came up.
Not sure I agree. From what i am piecing together from the dealer, this problem may be caused by a connector on the front grill shutter that is not water tight and allowing water in. If this is correct its not a random event its a problem with the manufacturing that may lead to a recall down the road. Hard to be exact here since there is a lot of conjecture, but the service person at Toyota implied that this was a bigger problem.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
God speed OP on the fix actions and thanks to all the first adapters/beta testers....

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Not sure I agree. From what i am piecing together from the dealer, this problem may be caused by a connector on the front grill shutter that is not water tight and allowing water in. If this is correct its not a random event its a problem with the manufacturing that may lead to a recall down the road. Hard to be exact here since there is a lot of conjecture, but the service person at Toyota implied that this was a bigger problem.
And I could be very wrong on your case. Just too early to tell at this point. Big mess up if that fitting is a major issue.

webshot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited

Any updates on your issues?

OP
OP
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Any updates on your issues?
Just got the truck back from the dealership. They claim that the issues (4 different warning notifications) were caused by the connection for the front radiator grill shutter getting wet. Dealer said the 'cap' they use to seal the connection is not watertight and that caused the problem. He implied that this was an issue with how the trucks are being made, not just a one-off for my vehicle. The dealers fix was to seal the connection with a marine sealant. If this is the case Toyota is going to have to fix this, i only had the car for a few days and the water likely came from the car being washed prior to delivery, not even a heavy rain.

MisterFlabby

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Just got the truck back from the dealership. They claim that the issues (4 different warning notifications) were caused by the connection for the front radiator grill shutter getting wet. Dealer said the 'cap' they use to seal the connection is not watertight and that caused the problem. He implied that this was an issue with how the trucks are being made, not just a one-off for my vehicle. The dealers fix was to seal the connection with a marine sealant. If this is the case Toyota is going to have to fix this, i only had the car for a few days and the water likely came from the car being washed prior to delivery, not even a heavy rain.
Ha, marine sealant, makes me laugh every time I see it, glad the fix was a relatively easy one

Jobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Glad you got your truck back and fixed up. I have a hard time believing that every 2024 built has a connection that isn't sealed properly that will cause it to throw 4 different warnings. There's been a lot of snow and rain all over the states lately especially in CA where a lot of the trucks are. TFL did a whole road trip in the rain/snow. Not doubting your issue but if it's that widespread I think we'd be seeing a lot more of it already.
Sponsored