Abar9

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Hey guys,

New Tacoma owner here. I owned various Toyotas in the past, including a couple of Corollas, Camry, and my most beloved 1990 Toyota Celica GT (Manual). I never owned a truck until I joined the military and moved to TX. My 2001 Silverado has been a very reliable truck, I moved around the country with it and to be honest I wanted to keep it for a longer time. I gave my Camry to my daughter when she started HS and drove my wife's accord for daily commute. on the weekends used my Chevy but always kept an eye on those beautiful tacos driving around the base. anyway, I'm going to be on the road again for a new duty station and now my wife owns a new Vic and I decided to sell the Silverado and Honda to get me a new Truck. I walked into the dealership just to check around options, and believe it or not while I was pulling into the parking lot this beautiful black Taco was being downloaded. First one in the NC tri-state area, gave it a test drive and immediately felt like driving my Celica again!!! sooo responsive, so fun to drive, and way bigger than my Chevy. It was instant love.

This Taco is everything I wanted a Manual truck with a very good warranty. The turbo kicks in and gives you 317 LB of torque, you get on the highway and you can feel the response. the interior feels a little spartan, but of course, it is a huge upgrade from driving my 2001 Silverado, however, the SR offers fewer features than other Tacomas. the screen is smaller and doesn't have a 360o camera. but in my case, I don't care about that, it still gets a lot of great stuff, Bluetooth carplay, blind spot, rear parking sonar, pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, and proactive driving assist (she drives by herself ). lane departure, and automatic high beans. engine wise I get the same HP and Torque as the TRDs with my manual transmission at 10K less.

the only con would be the price, for me by selling my CHevy and Honda I got around 15k to put down so my payments ain't that bad. I can see that 41k is a lot for many people nowadays so I feel that if you going to pay for one you need to be like me looking for something specific that will last you a long time. My Chevi had 300k miles in it and after it was paid off it was worth every penny and in the end left me with 5,500 dollars.

Well that is my honest review I enjoy driving it, I feel like I'm 20 years younger and finally found my dream truck.

2024 Tacoma My 2024 Tacoma SR Manual Transmission. First impressions review IMG_0092
Sponsored

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Hey guys,

New Tacoma owner here. I owned various Toyotas in the past, including a couple of Corollas, Camry, and my most beloved 1990 Toyota Celica GT (Manual). I never owned a truck until I joined the military and moved to TX. My 2001 Silverado has been a very reliable truck, I moved around the country with it and to be honest I wanted to keep it for a longer time. I gave my Camry to my daughter when she started HS and drove my wife's accord for daily commute. on the weekends used my Chevy but always kept an eye on those beautiful tacos driving around the base. anyway, I'm going to be on the road again for a new duty station and now my wife owns a new Vic and I decided to sell the Silverado and Honda to get me a new Truck. I walked into the dealership just to check around options, and believe it or not while I was pulling into the parking lot this beautiful black Taco was being downloaded. First one in the NC tri-state area, gave it a test drive and immediately felt like driving my Celica again!!! sooo responsive, so fun to drive, and way bigger than my Chevy. It was instant love.

This Taco is everything I wanted a Manual truck with a very good warranty. The turbo kicks in and gives you 317 LB of torque, you get on the highway and you can feel the response. the interior feels a little spartan, but of course, it is a huge upgrade from driving my 2001 Silverado, however, the SR offers fewer features than other Tacomas. the screen is smaller and doesn't have a 360o camera. but in my case, I don't care about that, it still gets a lot of great stuff, Bluetooth carplay, blind spot, rear parking sonar, pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, and proactive driving assist (she drives by herself ). lane departure, and automatic high beans. engine wise I get the same HP and Torque as the TRDs with my manual transmission at 10K less.

the only con would be the price, for me by selling my CHevy and Honda I got around 15k to put down so my payments ain't that bad. I can see that 41k is a lot for many people nowadays so I feel that if you going to pay for one you need to be like me looking for something specific that will last you a long time. My Chevi had 300k miles in it and after it was paid off it was worth every penny and in the end left me with 5,500 dollars.

Well that is my honest review I enjoy driving it, I feel like I'm 20 years younger and finally found my dream truck.

IMG_0092.jpg
Congrats on your new new purchase Abar9. You're going to love your 1st Taco.

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
Congrats on the new truck, I drove a 2024 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the available power overall. A significant improvement over the 3rd gen 6.

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Congratulations, Abar! That's a beautiful machine and you'll grow to love it more every day! :cool:

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Yes — enjoy your new truck. You have earned it a thousand times over in my opinion. Thank you for your service!

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Is this the first privately owned SR Manual (or any trim) posted on here? Would love to see more photos…especially showing off the steelies. Congrats!
Looks like SRs are shipping with Aluminum wheels right now.
I'm curious to know how the thing RIDES. Losing the rear coil suspension is probably the hardest thing to look past.

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk 7 Volkswagen GTI
Looks like SRs are shipping with Aluminum wheels right now.
I'm curious to know how the thing RIDES. Losing the rear coil suspension is probably the hardest thing to look past.
Oh really? What’s the reason for Toyota shipping SRs with aluminum wheels instead of steelies?

Wukong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
I'm surprised this is still the only stick shift 2024 on here? Can you tell us how you like it?

@Abar9 Any other mods you have planned?

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Oh really? What’s the reason for Toyota shipping SRs with aluminum wheels instead of steelies?
Not sure. The few SR reviews and dealer stock picks have had aluminum wheels- unless they’re convincing hubcaps.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Hey guys,

IMG_0092.jpg

Congrats on your ride!!!

The best shifting Toyota I ever had was my old 88 Celica GTS. Man that 5 speed gear box was sweet. Nothing compares or ever came close, including the 6MT X-Runner I had.

Only my current 2016 SR was my ever-automatic Toyota truck.

My list is large of manual gear boxes:

86 Toyota short box 4x4 with 35's
86 Toyota 2wd 5-speed manual standard cab long box beater
85 Toyota 2wd short box with rare 4-speed manual and 32's
97 Toyota Tacoma 2wd short box with 5-speed manual
05 X-Runner 6-speed manual, ran 285/30 R18x9.5 BFG R1's on road courses
2010 Toyota SR5 AC with 5-speed manual, 265/75 R16 to later 285/75 R16

Then 2016 SR with 6-speed auto and 265/75 R16.

Soon 2024 TRD Sport with 6MT and 265/70 R18's BFG KO2's

OP
OP
Abar9

Abar9

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Yeah I loved that car man I was in my 20s back then now I’m over 40 but this truck is making me feel like a youngster again lol