• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I'm a pessimist after the experience buying a Maverick. B&P wasn't ready immediately and you had to show interest with a reservation before any ordering. Ford ordering website got overwhelmed and went down a couple times during open order banks too. No personal experience with the Bronco, but I've heard and read that wasn't a smooth rollout either? I'm cautiously optimistic but think it's too much to ask to expect Ford to get this 100% right with a smooth E2E process after the recent history.
I don't expect the Ranger to be a huge hit with the kind of demand you have with the Maverick, Bronco, Lightning, or Mach E.

The Ranger has crazy competition. GM has new good looking Midsize trucks, Tacoma 2024 is brand new design and the prices are high enough that some people will decide on full size trucks. The Raptor might be touch, but I can't see the othersbeing that bad.
Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Something we all need to keep in mind is that the T6 Ranger was originally designed as Ford's truck entry in markets where the F-150 was not available. That can be both good and bad for the North American market.

The good part is that the Ranger will need to incorporate features to meet the various government regulations in those international markets and that includes the shift to electrification. That technology could also be incorporated into our version of the Ranger.

The bad is that both the F-150 and now the Maverick already have options to meet those demands in our market. Ford could simply drop the Ranger (again) from this market once it no longer meets our regs.

One of the reasons we even have the Ranger now is because Ford wanted to tap into the Wrangler market but needed a platform and a plant to build it. The Ranger provided the platform and became a placeholder to keep MAP operational until the Bronco was ready.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Ford isn't Toyota and loses thousands getting vehicles built and delivered to dealers- which is why they went to build to order system. Toyota pioneered the hybrid space for mass consumption with the Prius and never saw a need to add PHEV, Right? A lot would depend on if there was a price premium to get anything other than the ICE motor versions, but I don't see there being any significant extra easy income for Ford offering a normal hybrid like the F-150 AND a PHEV. There's just a limited appetite for that in the general population and no bang for the extra bucks for Ford. You're probably talking a couple hundred buyers that might opt for the PHEV over the normal hybrid out of a total planned production run of 100k per year. I could be wrong but I just don't see the demand with a woefully under built grid nationwide.
The Toyota Rav4 Prime is a PHEV with sky high demand. The Prius Prime is a PHEV. Ford offers Escapes in ICE versions, hybrid versions and PHEV versions. The order banks for the 2023 Escape PHEVs was the first to close because there was more demand than build capacity. I have been waiting over six months for the Escape PHEV that I ordered last November. The exact same thing will happen with a Ranger PHEV.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
I don't know that Ford will have a PHEV Ranger, it's hard to offer a ton of options especially in a vehicle you don't sell in large numbers. I do think it would be a big hit. The midsize trucks are getting poor gas milage and in my case I have a 6 mile daily commute. Jeep is doing it in the 4Xe if you have a range of at least 20 miles think of the wear and tear stop and start you save on your engine.

JBTN

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I don't know that Ford will have a PHEV Ranger, it's hard to offer a ton of options especially in a vehicle you don't sell in large numbers. I do think it would be a big hit. The midsize trucks are getting poor gas milage and in my case I have a 6 mile daily commute. Jeep is doing it in the 4Xe if you have a range of at least 20 miles think of the wear and tear stop and start you save on your engine.

Jeep is supposed to be doing a 4xe Gladiator in 2025.....I am really hoping they are not first to market with a PHEV. Average daily commute is under 30 miles in the US. A PHEV just makes so much sense to people who can charge it overnight.

Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Jeep is supposed to be doing a 4xe Gladiator in 2025.....I am really hoping they are not first to market with a PHEV. Average daily commute is under 30 miles in the US. A PHEV just makes so much sense to people who can charge it overnight.
In general ya that's what many people seem to not realize when it comes to electric cars. "But what about only having 300 miles of range" 90% of the time you won't need it. That being said, there is something to be said for having it when you do need it

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
The Toyota Rav4 Prime is a PHEV with sky high demand. The Prius Prime is a PHEV. Ford offers Escapes in ICE versions, hybrid versions and PHEV versions. The order banks for the 2023 Escape PHEVs was the first to close because there was more demand than build capacity. I have been waiting over six months for the Escape PHEV that I ordered last November. The exact same thing will happen with a Ranger PHEV.
Thank you for the education on PHEV variants on existing vehicles. I don't follow these developments closely. What is the additional price premium above regular hybrid versions of the same vehicles? Maybe we can extrapolate and predict what that would add to a compact or mid-size truck for discussion.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
In general ya that's what many people seem to not realize when it comes to electric cars. "But what about only having 300 miles of range" 90% of the time you won't need it. That being said, there is something to be said for having it when you do need it
Also worth noting that any hybrid or BEV range and performance decreases in cold climates. Far less appealing for people living in high elevations with freezing temperatures half the year.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Also worth noting that any hybrid or BEV range and performance decreases in cold climates. Far less appealing for people living in high elevations with freezing temperatures half the year.
That is the beauty of a PHEV - you get the best of both worlds - yes, the battery only range will decrease in cold temps, but you have the ICE to compensate. Hybrid range does not decrease in cold climates, only a BEV only vehicle. With a true hybrid, the ICE works in conjunction with the electric motor. With a PHEV, the electric motor typically can run on its own for 30-50 miles, after which the ICE takes over. In a hybrid, the electric motor can only run short periods without the ICE.

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There's a Ranger School coming, like the Bronco one.
what is a Ranger School exactly? I know when they introduced the 5G in USA in 2019, they had several nationwide "driving clinics" where you could sign up in advance and get invite to show up and test drive 1 on a little obstacle course and get all the details. Closest to me back then was 400+ miles and I decided not to go. Will this Ranger School be similar to that?

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That is the beauty of a PHEV - you get the best of both worlds - yes, the battery only range will decrease in cold temps, but you have the ICE to compensate. Hybrid range does not decrease in cold climates, only a BEV only vehicle. With a true hybrid, the ICE works in conjunction with the electric motor. With a PHEV, the electric motor typically can run on its own for 30-50 miles, after which the ICE takes over. In a hybrid, the electric motor can only run short periods without the ICE.
Multiple Maverick hybrid owners report issues with their trucks in colder climates on the sister forum. I recall some being efficiency and range related.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Multiple Maverick hybrid owners report issues with their trucks in colder climates on the sister forum. I recall some being efficiency and range related.
Do you have links to those postings? Because cold weather should not impact a hybrid as far as range goes - unless you are SPECIFICALLY talking about battery range. But it doesn't change how you are able to use the vehicle - you just use the ICE instead of the battery.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Want wins over need more than it should for me, but I work hard and don't blow money on other things. I think a hybrid gives me a bit of both.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Want wins over need more than it should for me, but I work hard and don't blow money on other things. I think a hybrid gives me a bit of both.
nothing against you for that. Given much of current infrastructure hybrid makes the most sense for people right now and is a good kick off point to getting used to electric
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.