Sponsored

Power Tailgate Issue -- doesn't latch when closing and needs manual push to fully close

Fully Involved

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
My tailgate goes down as designed, but when it goes back up it doesn't latch and I have to manually push it to close. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe an adjustment the dealer can take care of?
Sponsored

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
My tailgate goes down as designed, but when it goes back up it doesn't latch and I have to manually push it to close. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe an adjustment the dealer can take care of?
Does it have a spray-in bedliner? I think I saw a video where a spray-in liner was hampering the tailgate closure. Either way, should be brought to the dealer's attention.

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I have the same issue and I also have the spray in liner

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
I don't have a spray-in bed liner and have not had any issues. But every time I close, the thought enters my mind and I check. Just something about the motion/sound makes me believe this will be a problem.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I don't have a spray-in bed liner and have not had any issues. But every time I close, the thought enters my mind and I check. Just something about the motion/sound makes me believe this will be a problem.
Same. No liner, closes fine. But we're conditioned to hear a nice clunk when it latches and you don't get that with the power close because it slows down at 95% closed and eases into the last bit to latch so I can't not check it each time. Will be interesting to see if having a tonneau cover on will cause it to stall out trying to latch.

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
Will be interesting to see if having a tonneau cover on will cause it to stall out trying to latch.
Hmm, good point on the cover. Mine is on order and now I will have something else to worry about. Ha ha.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, good point on the cover. Mine is on order and now I will have something else to worry about. Ha ha.
You're welcome!

My Sentry CT is in Kansas somewhere on the way here and expected Saturday so I will let you know.

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Went to dealer today. They said tailgate was loose and slightly misaligned from factory not letting flush close. They adjusted and tightened and so far the problem is fixed. Will keep all posted

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome!

My Sentry CT is in Kansas somewhere on the way here and expected Saturday so I will let you know.
The Sentry CT specifically does cause the tailgate to not latch because of the way the rear seal angles down. The tailgate hits against it rather than slipping under it and that interferes with the closing. Not a biggie for me because I've used a lot of soft covers that worked best if you pop the latch on them then close them onto the tailgate so it's just habit to do things in that order anyway.
Sponsored