• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters.

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I don't recall exactly where someone mentioned it, maybe it was a reviewers YT video or something, but someone had mentioned that Ford had planned to put pre-tapped holes (for mounting bolts) in the roof (under the factory gutters) to facilitate roof rack manufacturers.

Anyone else hear anything of this?
Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
You can watch videos of roof racks being installed on ROW. Some racks will require drilling. Some you do not. The one I watched was Rhino Rack if I remember correctly. That required taking down the headliner and stripping the gutter molding but no drilling. It’s going to depend on what rack you get, and whether it’s application specific or universal and how much weight it’s designed to carry. You’ll have to look at the instructions for each rack when they become available. There will likely be some options but it won’t be as modular as the Bronco. Also please bear in mind that the more weight you add to the roof, the more of a tip over risk it becomes. Keep it to a minimum and unload it when it’s not needed for safety.

OP
OP

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
You can watch videos of roof racks being installed on ROW. Some racks will require drilling. Some you do not. The one I watched was Rhino Rack if I remember correctly. That required taking down the headliner and stripping the gutter molding but no drilling. It’s going to depend on what rack you get, and whether it’s application specific or universal and how much weight it’s designed to carry. You’ll have to look at the instructions for each rack when they become available. There will likely be some options but it won’t be as modular as the Bronco. Also please bear in mind that the more weight you add to the roof, the more of a tip over risk it becomes. Keep it to a minimum and unload it when it’s not needed for safety.
I build my own one-off gear. Having the pre-threaded holes would will just help me in prototyping a version of what I made on my current Ranger, but for my new Raptor.

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. 100_0233.JPG

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. wireframe2

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_20230509_214602

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Lexus RC 350, GMC Canyon Denali on order
Occupation
Seed potatoes
There’s what looks to be an x-ray picture in the Ford Body Builders Layout Book. It’s not real clear, but appears to show something looking like a bolt hole beneath the gutter on the B pillar. There also appears to be a track running the roofline next to the gutters. I wouldn’t build off these photos, but maybe it gives you a reference point for future possibilities.

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_0230

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_0231

Sponsored

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Lexus RC 350, GMC Canyon Denali on order
Occupation
Seed potatoes
This guy mentions threaded inserts under the weather stripping right around the 5:00 mark. I haven't heard any other mention of this yet.

This makes a lot of sense. I had some Yakima racks with T-slots that looked a lot like the roof shown in the video.

There are some members from overseas here with Raptors already. Could always ask one of them to take a look and send photos..

OP
OP

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
So I recall of the 6 upfitter aux channels one of these lines is supposedly to go to a roof connector. Anyone heard any more details on all 6 channel termination points? Also have we heard any more on the amperage capabilities for each channel?

Looks like standard formula is is 25, 15, 10, 5, 5, and 5.

I tend to prefer to over-engineer everything I fabricate. Every single aux channel I setup always went through a 30A relay and then a proper size matches fuse. I always use the switch as a trigger channel for a relay and never run power directly through the controller.

I am hoping our aux hub in the engine bay isn't run off a single relay.

I've done some fun proof of concept stuff and I can get a little out of hand.

This was a 5G rear seat delete I had at one point lol

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_20220915_120127

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. 100_0117.JPG

Among other fun projects on my 5G;

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_20221024_115605

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_20221101_160443

Ford Ranger Pre-tapped roof holes under factory gutters. IMG_20230415_205627

Last edited:

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
So I recall of the 6 upfitter aux channels one of these lines is supposedly to go to a roof connector. Anyone heard any more details on all 6 channel termination points? Also have we heard any more on the amperage capabilities for each channel?

I tend to prefer to over-engineer everything I fabricate. Every single aux channel I setup always went through a 30A relay and then a proper size matches fuse. I always use the switch as a trigger channel for a relay and never run power directly through the controller.

IMG_20220915_120127.jpg

100_0117.JPG

IMG_20221024_115605.jpg

IMG_20221101_160443.jpg

IMG_20230415_205627.jpg

IMG_20220915_120127.jpg

100_0117.JPG

IMG_20221024_115605.jpg

IMG_20221101_160443.jpg

IMG_20230415_205627.jpg
The Body Builders guide has details on the termination points. There are two at the grill, two at the aux box, and two underneath the bed. Each switch has its own fuse and relay. You would be able to reduce the fuse to whatever the accessory manufacturer recommends to protect its wiring harness. But you would not be able to swap the fuse with something higher since that might exceed to current rating for the factory wiring to those points (unless you swapped it yourself). There are also two accessory studs on the battery box, one for high current and one for low current although they don’t define what that current is defined as. No leads go to the roof so you’ll have to route your own wire. Ford does include a firewall pass through for customer wiring although I have a feeling it’s very small if you use it as they intend. For something like large gauge audio amplifier you might still need to drill a hole yourself

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Did we find out if there were threaded holes under trim cover on roof without dropping head liner.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Did we find out if there were threaded holes under trim cover on roof without dropping head liner.
There are drilled holes. They are not threaded. You will have to drop the headliner to access the backside of those holes.

At least that’s what I’m seeing on the roof rack instructions I could find from overseas.

Last edited:

Westyside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Taco
watching that video and seeing just how much stuff has to be uninstalled to get at the bottom of the holes.... ugh come on ford why couldn't you just tap them?

OP
OP

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
watching that video and seeing just how much stuff has to be uninstalled to get at the bottom of the holes.... ugh come on ford why couldn't you just tap them?
Its not hard to tap them yourself.

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Product Design Engineer
Anyone think it'd be possible / strong enough to just nutzert that hole or something to bypass all the interior removal process?
Sponsored