Sponsored

PYLDRVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
This video mentions idling the engine after hill climbing or high speed use and sure enough the 2024 Tacoma Owner's Manual has an entry about that.

2024 Tacoma PSA: allow 2024 Tacoma engine to idle immediately after high-speed driving or hill climbing (per owner's manual) 1708890971062

Soooo, does this mean if I've been going down the highway at 70-75 for a while and I pull into a gas station, I need to let the truck idle before pulling into a pump and shutting it down?

Edit: Poking around the web indicates slowing down to run on surface streets counts toward the "idle" time so by the time you actually pulled into a gas station, you're probably fine. The only real scenario I can come up with is pulling into a rest area off the freeway. That's generally a pretty quick slow down to a stop so you might want to do short idle in that specific case.
Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Yes, idle for a minute after high load or speed to allow the turbo to cool. A minute is what I saw. I will probably idle for a minute if pulling off highway to refuel.

Last edited:

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Any deceleration counts towards the 1 minute time. Exit ramps, rest stops, gas stations should all have a declaration unless you like coming in hot. On scenario I can image is if you have an emergency stop on side of highway and cut off the engine.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Any deceleration counts towards the 1 minute time. Exit ramps, rest stops, gas stations should all have a declaration unless you like coming in hot. On scenario I can image is if you have an emergency stop on side of highway and cut off the engine.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
How is the turbo cooled, is there an intercooler and is it air or liquid? Poking around in the engine bay, there are two large hoses on either side of the engine that rout to the front radiator area. They are soft to the touch as if they are for air and don’t feel like a regular radiator hose. It’s difficult to see where they are going without removing the panel that sits on top of the radiator.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
It's a turbo thing. helps to keep oil circulating in the turbo to help it cool. There used to be kits available where it would have a timer on it, when you shut the car off, it would run for another 3 minutes and then shut the engone down after 3 minutes after you took the keys out of the ignition and left the car. Kind of an opposite of an auto start, an auto off.

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
It's a turbo thing. helps to keep oil circulating in the turbo to help it cool. There used to be kits available where it would have a timer on it, when you shut the car off, it would run for another 3 minutes and then shut the engone down after 3 minutes after you took the keys out of the ignition and left the car. Kind of an opposite of an auto start, an auto off.
It's funny to see ppl kind of freak out about Letting the truck idle. Can totally see a lot of ppl don't have a clue about how a turbo set up works.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's funny to see ppl kind of freak out about Letting the truck idle. Can totally see a lot of ppl don't have a clue about how a turbo set up works.
Agree… it’s really not the biggest deal, the kit that let the engine run after shutting the vehcile off was designed for racing applications, after a car got off the track, check with some diesel guys, everything diesel is a turbo. It is commonly written, but it’s not something the average have to be neurotic about.

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
Agree… it’s really not the biggest deal, the kit that let the engine run after shutting the vehcile off was designed for racing applications, after a car got off the track, check with some diesel guys, everything diesel is a turbo. It is commonly written, but it’s not something the average have to be neurotic about.
I know all about turbo timers lol I have an 05 WRX and live in the city.

I am kinda amazed that Toyota doesn't just have one built into the software. At the same time 1 minute even while driving isn't a big deal at all.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know all about turbo timers lol I have an 05 WRX and live in the city.

I am kinda amazed that Toyota doesn't just have one built into the software. At the same time 1 minute even while driving isn't a big deal at all.
Would be easy to install, has an auto start already. - but they likely didn’t add it as it’s simply not thy big of a deal For most instances.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I watched the chief engineer talk about the commercial grade turbo and how it has larger hoses to cool it. Hoses they would put on a V8. He also said they ran the engine in different angles to simulate off road positions.
It made me feel pretty good about getting a Tacoma with this engine.
Sponsored