• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger keyless entry keypad question

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I had the keypad on my 5G Ranger and I'm planning on getting it on my 6G. Does anyone know if there are any security mechanisms around it?

The times I want to use it most are when hiking in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to have the huge key on me. I feel nervous doing that though, as I worry someone could break the glass and then with my key inside, steal the whole truck. Is this a legitimate risk or will the truck not start unless the code has been punched into the keypad?
Sponsored

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Can the dealership add it at a later date?

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes they can. It's just a wireless device that sticks to the door so you can even add it yourself.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
There are pouches with foil lining you can hide the key in while it's inside your truck so the key is not detected. That way if somebody breaks the glass, the truck won't know the key is there.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are pouches with foil lining you can hide the key in while it's inside your truck so the key is not detected. That way if somebody breaks the glass, the truck won't know the key is there.
Yeah, I did see cheap RFID blocking pouches on Amazon. If I threw the key in that and then got the console safe installed with the key locked inside that, it should be good enough to deter theft I'd hope.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I believe I read somewhere that if you've locked the truck with the keypad and someone gets hold of your keys, they can't start it.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe I read somewhere that if you've locked the truck with the keypad and someone gets hold of your keys, they can't start it.
This is what I hoped but I never tested it and I sold my truck. If anyone has a 5G with this feature, have someone use the keypad and lock you in the truck with the key and see if the truck will start.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
You can add it later but then you have to pay the dealer to program it. From the factory it comes pre-programed.

I never got one because most everyone that has one seems to have issues with theirs dying. I know not every area has a good cell signal but if you're in one that does I'd get a Faraday bag and put the key inside the truck and use your Ford app to unlock it. Or get a hitch safe and toss it in there.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 03 Dakota, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
Follow up question: Can you lock your key fob inside? A couple cars I've had keyless start did not allow me to lock the doors while the key fob was inside unless the vehicle was running or in acc mode.

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor & 21 Bronco FE 4-Dr
Follow up question: Can you lock your key fob inside? A couple cars I've had keyless start did not allow me to lock the doors while the key fob was inside unless the vehicle was running or in acc mode.
Yes push the last two buttons at the same time
It's the override that will lock keys in car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Don't even want decals, let alone something sticking on the door. But whatever you like you should get. Wish they came with Dave Kindig door handles :)

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't even want decals, let alone something sticking on the door. But whatever you like you should get. Wish they came with Dave Kindig door handles :)
I do wish they made the keypad more discrete by doing the black touch keys in the black window frame of the door like the older Fords/Lincolns. Not sure why they do a big stick-on one now. Technology has improved 10-fold and yet the keypads they used in the 2000s looked way better. The convenience is worth it to me but it does look dumb.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I do wish they made the keypad more discrete by doing the black touch keys in the black window frame of the door like the older Fords/Lincolns. Not sure why they do a big stick-on one now. Technology has improved 10-fold and yet the keypads they used in the 2000s looked way better. The convenience is worth it to me but it does look dumb.
You can stick it inside the fuel door.

Ford Ranger Ranger keyless entry keypad question 1685589982608

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can stick it inside the fuel door.

1685589982608.jpeg
I have seen that but it makes it more inconvenient and placing an electronic device with batteries that can leak, right where all the gas fumes are makes me a tad nervous.