Sponsored

Ride Quality: Sport vs. Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Has anyone in here driven both the sport and offroad and can comment on the differences in ride quality? I've seen some reviews say the sport is too stiff on-road when hitting potholes or uneven patches.

I really would like an offroad but I have found a sport that is the right color/options and price. Just wondering if the ride is noticeably more jarring. I think I can get over the fake hoodscoop and not having the rear locker. But if the ride quality isn't good for long trips I am sure i'll hear it every few miles from my family lol.
Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Yes, the Sport is stiffer because it's a street truck and designed to hug corners. You mentioned the Sport not having a rear locker, which is correct, but for me it's the lack of MTS that would make the Sport a no go for me.
I've been mud stuck while in 4Lo, and the experience of MTS putting power to the wheels that aren't spinning, and pulling me out, has made me a literal fanboy of Toyota's traction system.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I will let you know tomorrow after I pick up my TRD Sport 6MT later today. I have a 350-mile drive back home from the stealership.

My outgoing truck was a 2016 SR 6-speed auto access cab with 4.30 gears in the 8.4" axle running 265/75 R16 KO2's. My 2024 will be sporting 265/70 R18 KO2's and will have a similar 4.30 gears in the rear 9.5" axle. I will notice anything different right away, but those rear coils will be the surprise in ride comfort with an empty bed.

And to identify a "street truck" vs an off-roader are 2 key identifiers.

First one is it dropped and a 2wd? You can have an AWD pickup that is likewise dropped, cannot remember if the Cyclone was one of them? Toyota has had 2 "street trucks" the S-Runner and X-Runner over the years. I owned an 2005 X-Runner myself, that is a "street truck."

Second is gearing in the rear axle. You see lots of full-size trucks sporting 3.73 or 3.90 type gearing and the like. Those are street gearing for fuel economy and pulling trailers, etc... Not that you cannot slap 35's and go off-roading, but you get the idea.

I have had many Toyota trucks without the TRD Off-Road badging and I could go toe to toe with them off the pavement with just a standard SR or SR5. My old 2010 SR5 5MT sported 4.10 factory gears and my outgoing 2016 SR 6-auto had 4.30 gears in the rear. Those are off-roading gearing.

My new 2024 TRD Sport will have 4.30 gearing in the rear 9.5" axle, those are off-roading gears. Hence why I love the model. I will struggle at highway speeds like I did with my 2016 SR with similar gearing, but in town or in 4wd modes, I will do just fine with those low gears.

My old 1986 Toyota 4x4 5MT sporting factory 4.10 gearing was equivalent to a modern SR today and that thing hauled butt off-road with open diff's before we transformed it to desert racing. I was running 35's on her. I removed the factory sway bar up front and threw that in the recycle bin, did not need it for the street or off-road with my setups. After gutting the front end completely, we welded the rear spider gears for a true posi rear end. That sucked on pavement but off-road it was da bomb in desert conditions.

I even built up my 1985 2wd 4MT to sport 32" mud t/a's and went off-roading as a 1-wheel drive. Just because it does not say TRD Off-Road does not mean it is a "street truck." My 2024 TRD Sport will be able to off-road with any of the models Toyota sells.

Images of my "street trucks" in years past including my legendary 1985 4MT 2wd sporting 32's and my 2005 6MT X-Runner off-roading and hugging corners as it should be:

2024 Tacoma Ride Quality:  Sport vs. Offroad 2672540925_e874ce58ec_m1

2024 Tacoma Ride Quality:  Sport vs. Offroad 2673374574_53365776f1_m1

2024 Tacoma Ride Quality:  Sport vs. Offroad thumbnail_20240317_074333

2024 Tacoma Ride Quality:  Sport vs. Offroad thumbnail_125

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Never drove the Offroad so I can't really speak on the differences but the sport suspension is definitely stiff. You feel every bump and pothole but I'm not complaining, I came from a Sedan where you REALLY feel every bump and pothole lol, comparing to full sized truck with rear leaf springs, I'd say even though it's a stiff suspension, it's still really comfortable to ride in, not hard hitting.

Last edited:

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Yes, the Sport is stiffer because it's a street truck and designed to hug corners. You mentioned the Sport not having a rear locker, which is correct, but for me it's the lack of MTS that would make the Sport a no go for me.
I've been mud stuck while in 4Lo, and the experience of MTS putting power to the wheels that aren't spinning, and pulling me out, has made me a literal fanboy of Toyota's traction system.
That was one of the deciding factors for me as well. Stupid that they didn't add it to the Sport. It's only software. My F150 had a similar system and it was a regular XLT. Not sure why Toyota does this. I get crawl control (which is probably also just software) but MTS is silly.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
This is good insight thanks. I have a subaru outback the suspension in that I think is moderate. It is not a sedan and not a truck but its also expected to be somewhat offroad capable. I was just concerned the sport is really stiff and I don't want to immediately switch out tires and suspension which is maybe unlike many people who mod their trucks immediately.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Can't speak for 2024 specifically but I've had an OR and Sport in the last 5 years and the sport is definitely stiffer. Handles fast cornering better but also grabs on to every bump/pothole and lets you know it's there. The OR suspension sort of "floats" over potholes and bumps so you feel them far less and unless you're trying to do a rally race through the city, you won't really miss the better responsiveness of the Sport.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Can't speak for 2024 specifically but I've had an OR and Sport in the last 5 years and the sport is definitely stiffer. Handles fast cornering better but also grabs on to every bump/pothole and lets you know it's there. The OR suspension sort of "floats" over potholes and bumps so you feel them far less and unless you're trying to do a rally race through the city, you won't really miss the better responsiveness of the Sport.
Cornering is definitely an important mention. I can take some turns the same speed I was able to take my Camry SE at, which is pretty crazy to say for a truck. The sport most definitely hugs the road.

Jasperzdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Macan GTS , Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
I picked up my TRD Sport Premium last Wednesday and did a 1000 km round trip with it on the weekend. It can definitely be a rough ride on parts of the highway.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I picked up my TRD Sport Premium last Wednesday and did a 1000 km round trip with it on the weekend. It can definitely be a rough ride on parts of the highway.
From what i've found reading around it seems like there are a couple things people are saying.
1. Check your tire pressures some people have reported the tires PSI from the dealer/factory being above recommended and causing some discomfort.
2. Someone mentioned that they immediately saw an improvement switching to a different tire than stock. IDK if they went bigger but just to a different brand or maybe a better quality tire.

Jasperzdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Macan GTS , Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
From what i've found reading around it seems like there are a couple things people are saying.
1. Check your tire pressures some people have reported the tires PSI from the dealer/factory being above recommended and causing some discomfort.
2. Someone mentioned that they immediately saw an improvement switching to a different tire than stock. IDK if they went bigger but just to a different brand or maybe a better quality tire.
This is true , mine were at 50 psi when I brought it home. Only noticed because I was playing with the Toyota app. Actually went to the dealer the next morning asking about the quality of the PDI that was done.

SS_T4R15

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 4Runner Trail P
Also keep in mind the Sport rides on 18's vs the OR 17's. I'm guessing a lot of the extra harshness comes from the lower profile tires.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Stupid that they didn't add it to the Sport. It's only software.
It's a bit more than software, but Toyota knew that they could build a less complex/less capable truck, and charge nearly the same for it, by adding a non-functional hood scoop to it. It's genius really.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
It's a bit more than software, but Toyota knew that they could build a less complex/less capable truck, and charge nearly the same for it, by adding a non-functional hood scoop to it. It's genius really.
Lot of people really like that scoop. Kind of makes it stand out from the pack a bit so I get it. Cosmetically, I'd rather have the contrasting fender flares, etc. but to each his/her own. Really, just need to buy an OR then find someone with a sport of the same color who doesn't care for the scoop and trade hoods. :)
Sponsored