Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I think it was dumb luck that TFL's broke but I get what some say about TFL's skills when off roading.

OP
OP
BigDan

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
I think it was dumb luck that TFL's broke but I get what some say about TFL's skills when off roading.
I get it too but I dont think it really contributed to the front diff breaking. At least it should not have. They weren't doing anything crazy.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I'm sure it was MTS that slammed the brakes at full rev and bound the diff. If you start having trouble, I'd turn that crap off until they update software.

The Dude

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma, ā€˜99 4Runner
TFL may have grenaded their ADD, but R4T on YouTube took their ā€˜24 OR long bed to the same trail with different results. Judge for yourselves.

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm sure it was MTS that slammed the brakes at full rev and bound the diff. If you start having trouble, I'd turn that crap off until they update software.
I agree. It's also good if the issue was related to MTS programming because they might be able to just push out a software update.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry

Love how the comments make it seem like it was TFL's fault for not driving it properly. Clearly they just got a faulty part that broke, shit happens.
hey dan whats up with us coasties loving Toyotas?

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
TFL got a lemon front diff. Probably nothing to do with MTS. In '01 I bought a Ram 1500, 4 years later everyone's transmissions starting failing. Not mine. Apparently the 5.9Ls were not lemons. Lucked out. Original engine, original transmission 23 years later. Shit happens. No need to watch 15 YouTubers hike their leg on the same spot.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
The title is total click bait, means nothing. Some seem to have a hard time accepting the TFL truck broke when it shouldnā€™t have. Time will tell why it failed, whether it was a fluke lemon part or something Toyota will upgrade or engineer a fix for.
I do have a new appreciation for a short bed. I can see how itā€™s more nimble off road. They look a bit odd with a 4 door cab and a small box, but both beds have their advantages and uses.

tmac5809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Take a look at this video, specifically at 9:50. I feel like this is very similar to what happened to TFL's truck.

Notice even though the driver side front tire is barely touching the ground yet that CV ends up snapping. This makes me go back to what some were saying about the MTS programming.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I do have a new appreciation for a short bed. I can see how itā€™s more nimble off road. They look a bit odd with a 4 door cab and a small box, but both beds have their advantages and uses.
yep. Same here. That short box is soooo nimble. I will say this vid gives me further peace of mind about deciding on a DCLB, because Iā€™m not planning to do more than this sorta thing with it off road anyway so itā€™ll be fine. I haul too much nonsense around for work for a 5ā€™ bed, otherwise Iā€™d prob go with that. Iā€™m so glad Toyota kept the option for either bed size

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
The title is total click bait, means nothing. Some seem to have a hard time accepting the TFL truck broke when it shouldnā€™t have. Time will tell why it failed, whether it was a fluke lemon part or something Toyota will upgrade or engineer a fix for.
I agree with the nimble take. I canā€™t do the wheelbase of the long bed; it is not very off road-friendly. I also think the short beds look much better, and the long beds look a little goofy. The long beds appear anatomically awkward. But, to each their own! Iā€™ve seen some beautiful long bed builds over the years that, despite my preferences, I wouldnā€™t mind owning.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
By "start having trouble" do you mean like TFL "started having trouble"? You're kind of screwed at that point.
Sponsored