Sponsored

SR5 XtraCab 4x4 -- anyone considering this combination?

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Is anyone considering this combination? Seems like it’s a great combo for Two-Up travels. Sorry.. No pics yet
Sponsored

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
My current truck is an Xtracab with a 6’ bed and it’s my preferred configuration. The problem is, the model is always a basic trim.

I will probably bite the bullet and get a double cab with a 6’ bed that won’t fit in my garage. (I want an off road) The 5’ bed is useless to me.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
If I get a new Tacoma it would likely be the SR5 4x4, but double cab. If you have no need to seat more than 2, the extra cab seems good- and would be good to not have useless rear seats taking up space. Only downside, IIRC, is no rear access doors on that configuration.

caveman_rox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
If I get a new Tacoma it would likely be the SR5 4x4, but double cab. If you have no need to seat more than 2, the extra cab seems good- and would be good to not have useless rear seats taking up space. Only downside, IIRC, is no rear access doors on that configuration.
Can you get the iForce Max with an Extra Cab? I was thinking not?

evorunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2016 tacoma trd sport
no you can
Can you get the iForce Max with an Extra Cab? I was thinking not?
no you can't unfortunately. Toyota designed the system with the batteries under the rear seat. they would have to redesign the batter storage and refigure out cooling and storing the battery.

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
I am considering based on what little we know. In the pictures of the SR grade they already showing heated seats and a heated steering wheel and all the storage goodies that are showcased on the early press release of the pre-runner so therefore I think the SR5 would add a couple things like fog lights, possibly some interior upgrades, etc.

The one thing that would be a nice add-on would be a rear locking diff. This is definitely a possibility because the pre-runner already has one. This would allow that little extra capability that 99% of the people will never even use anyway.

If you think about it, the Ford Ranger, bronco, and many other competitors, including General Motors are all offering a very low cost add on of the rear locker. This would be a smart thing to do because many people will build an SR5 as they see fit.

For me, since I only want a two seater the SR5 with a rear locker and potentially adding the Trd off-road upgrade to it, would be an ideal build. I currently have a four-door bronco with all the off-road goodies which I barely use. I’d like an access cab because my son will be driving soon and I do not want other kids in the backseat. I’d rather have them focused on driving .

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Is anyone considering this combination? Seems like it’s a great combo for Two-Up travels. Sorry.. No pics yet
I really like that back storage they show on the pre-runner, I assume the same utility setup will come with the SR X cab. It’s gonna be a great truck, probably will be the most underrated but best rig for your money.

I’ve been driving an XCab Ram for 15 years, only my dog and tools use the back - although it does have suicide doors makes easy to load/unload.

Last edited:

NJTRD784

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma on order
If the SR5 has A-Trac, best bang for the buck hands down. I really wanted a OR W\ access cab and 6 food bed. was pretty bummed to find out its not going to be offered.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
im considering and it just modded like trd pro but ill need prices before i make decison. Why are they waiting so long lol.
lets says its 34k for one which is what ranger xl 4x4 is going for and colorado WT is going for roughly . Then if you put small lift 1.5 and plate thats 3-5k. 39Kish out the door. Im curious if you can get skid plate option and lift from factory?

if its 39k just base might as well get next trim up

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I have been looking at all the options. It appears that the Toyota brain trust has concluded that people who drive extra cabs don’t want to drive them off the pavement. Nothing could be further from the truth in my case.

Having said that, they are not making an off road capable version in the extra cab. You get to choose between a 2wd PreRunner, or an SR5 that comes with street tires, lame suspension, and no rear locker.

They keep calling the extra cab a work truck. And I don’t know of anybody in any industry who is actually using small trucks. All of the companies I deal with use full-size trucks as their work vehicles.

I’m sure they’re out there, and that’s fine. Sell them the SR grade. But it would be nice if Toyota would make an off-road extra cab for people who need a 6 foot bed in a moderately sized truck.

I would just continue to drive my 1985 if rust wasn’t getting the better of it after 40 years. 😡
Sponsored