bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Sport (6MT)
Hey folks,

I posted some time ago about various things and mentioned the lack of a factory tonneau cover option for the new build. I want to talk more about that! My current 2021 TRD Sport has the factory tri-fold tonneau cover. Since Toyota doesn't seem to be offering them anymore, does anyone have suggestions on a good aftermarket brand with similar functionality? I liked that the one I have is a hard surface, as opposed to a soft one that will eventually tear. I know since the model is new that many companies haven't updated their site to mention the new model, and it's early.

It would probably be too much to ask for my 2021's cover to be compatible with the 2024.
Sponsored

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
Hey folks,

I posted some time ago about various things and mentioned the lack of a factory tonneau cover option for the new build. I want to talk more about that! My current 2021 TRD Sport has the factory tri-fold tonneau cover. Since Toyota doesn't seem to be offering them anymore, does anyone have suggestions on a good aftermarket brand with similar functionality? I liked that the one I have is a hard surface, as opposed to a soft one that will eventually tear. I know since the model is new that many companies haven't updated their site to mention the new model, and it's early.

It would probably be too much to ask for my 2021's cover to be compatible with the 2024.
I am going with a BAK Flip mx4

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Honda Pioneer 1000
I have the mx4 on my Ram. Its a solid cover but some water leaks and the floor of the bed gets wet around the edges.

Im considering a Leer HF650M.

OP
OP

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the mx4 on my Ram. Its a solid cover but some water leaks and the floor of the bed gets wet around the edges.

Im considering a Leer HF650M.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I want to hear about these products! Thanks for sharing.

jtgearhead

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tundra
Toyota will be coming out with a Hard-Trifold, however I believe it will be a low profile instead of the one that the 3rd Gens came with that were mounted on top of the bed. I know that on the 2022+ Tundras the OEM Tri Folds are actually the BAKflip MX4's with just a Toyota Sticker instead of the BAK logo, so I'm hoping it's the same for the new 4th Gen Tacoma's.

OP
OP

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota will be coming out with a Hard-Trifold
Any source for this, and expected date? I asked the guy at the dealership when I put down the deposit on my order, and he seemed to have no information at all except to confirm he couldn't see any tonneau cover option.

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
I ran a backflip mx4 on my 2020 off road and will look for the same for my 24 sport. I prefer the hard cover and this works great! Only issue I had is sometimes it will freeze to the tailgate top. ( I'm in Canada) and I would use a plastic trim remover to un stick it.

OP
OP

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the dealer informed me this weekend that they had an allocation for me, I asked again about tonneau covers and he said he was still unaware of any plans for Toyota to make one. Then he said they would be able to put one on for me, and that they install one from Line-X (linex.com). I believe he said the retractable hard tonneau cover, but I thought he also said folding and that one doesn't fold. In any case, I asked him what that would cost and haven't yet heard back. I still have a couple months before I need to figure it out.

Wonder if anyone here has used one from Line-X.

4thgenmedic

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sr5
eveywhere I went and searched, said won't be out for many moths... they change the bed shape against the cab, and it also kicks out near the tailgate... and not earlier models will fit

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
OP
OP

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I saw that post. I guess I'll just wait until their cover comes out and then decide between theirs and aftermarket.

JT michigan

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma TRD
Hey folks,

Trying to decide on tonneau cover for my Tacoma 24. Bed security is a must. Tools etc!

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I ran a backflip mx4 on my 2020 off road and will look for the same for my 24 sport. I prefer the hard cover and this works great! Only issue I had is sometimes it will freeze to the tailgate top. ( I'm in Canada) and I would use a plastic trim remover to un stick it.
Hello there.
I just bought a 2024 TRD Sport Plus and would like to add an MX4 tonneau to it. Did you have any luck finding one that would fit?

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Hello there.
I just bought a TRD Sport Plus and would like to add an MX4 tonneau to it. Did you have any luck finding one that would fit?
Hi! No I didn't find a cover for my truck yet. There are no perfect fit options yet that I'm aware of. I have seen some guys modifying 3rd gen covers with pretty good results actually. I'm going to wait until some "made for 4th gen" covers come out. I hear mid to late April.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I saw the beds were wider and figured no one would have one out yet. I have the 6 foot bed. I like the mx4 and the “BAKbox”. I get my truck at the end of May. Hoping they have reinvented the wheel by then.

Thanks for getting back. My first day on the site.
Sponsored