JHunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer
Hello again everyone,

My other question concerns how amazingly thin Toyota paint is.

Living in Western Pa has both pros and cons and one of the cons is that the front end of your car can get chipped easily.

Based upon prior experience, Toyota finishes are extremely thin and chip with great ease.
Does anyone know if Toyota has improved upon the durability of their paint finishes?

Thank you,

JHunter
Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Hello again everyone,

My other question concerns how amazingly thin Toyota paint is.

Living in Western Pa has both pros and cons and one of the cons is that the front end of your car can get chipped easily.

Based upon prior experience, Toyota finishes are extremely thin and chip with great ease.
Does anyone know if Toyota has improved upon the durability of their paint finishes?

Thank you,

JHunter
So you currently own a toyota? I don't, but was unaware to paint issues

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
There is a YouTube channel wherein the reviewer evaluates vehicles, and one of his procedures is to measure paint thickness. Toyota is not lacking in this regard. As far as paint becoming chipped, another issue I believe. As of late I have opted for the frontal paint protection films, and they seem to do a good job.

OP
OP

JHunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer
So you currently own a toyota? I don't, but was unaware to paint issues
I owned two Camrys, one FJ Cruiser, one Tacoma TRD Sport and one Corolla. The Camrys and FJ Cruiser had NO paint issues, when it comes to chipping. The Corolla and Tacoma were entirely different issues. The Corolla was made in Japan and the Tacoma was made in San Antonio, Texas. I understand why auto manufactures use the paint millage that they use but, when compairing the last 5 years of both Toyota and Ford ownership, Toyota looses the paint durability test.

OP
OP

JHunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer
There is a YouTube channel wherein the reviewer evaluates vehicles, and one of his procedures is to measure paint thickness. Toyota is not lacking in this regard. As far as paint becoming chipped, another issue I believe. As of late I have opted for the frontal paint protection films, and they seem to do a good job.
Yes, I will probably coat the entire front clip, including the bumper. The only issue is that prolonged usage of these films can damage the paint as it has to cure for at least 60 days before the film should be applied.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Yes, I will probably coat the entire front clip, including the bumper. The only issue is that prolonged usage of these films can damage the paint as it has to cure for at least 60 days before the film should be applied.
Wow, was not aware of that! Darned if you do the film, darned if you don't. I always have ours factory applied, not aftermarket, and that would certainly be less than 60 days for the paint to cure.

OP
OP

JHunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer
Wow, was not aware of that! Darned if you do the film, darned if you don't. I always have ours factory applied, not aftermarket, and that would certainly be less than 60 days for the paint to cure.
Yeah, it is a bit of a conundrum. My approach for my next Tacoma purchase will be to purchase it in the late Spring and ride out the 2 month paint curing process. Then have the film applied to the entire front clip.

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
I've had film on my last few vehicles Lexus though and that film saved our paint job from the salt and sand they put down here. No discoloration if they use the right film. My CT200h was done 11 yrs ago... looks like new the only blemishes are in the film which comes off.
Sponsored