• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Transfer case internals

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
From what I have been told, on the F-150s with "auto" 4WD setting, only the Auto setting uses clutches to allow the center differential to slip. When the driver selects 4-low the transfer case actually becomes chain-driven and cannot slip.

This is different from how the 4-Auto transfer cases work on Ram and GM trucks. Those use clutches in ALL transfer case modes, and heat build-up in the clutches becomes a problem when using the truck in tough offroad conditions.

Does anyone know how the 6G Ranger transfer case will operate? Will there be options for a chain-driven (and therefore problem free) t-case?
Sponsored

OP
OP
AlloyPony

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it's still a bit confusing.

From the article linked there: "4L (4X4 LOW) – Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects. 4L (4X4 low) should not engage while your vehicle is moving above 3 mph (5 km/h); this is normal and should be no reason for concern. Refer to Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low) for proper operation."

Electronically or mechanically? Which is it? Lol.

I know that the clutch system on the GM and Ram trucks is very problematic with overheating issues. I've experienced it myself just last year on a brand new Ram tugging on a stuck vehicle for less than 30 seconds. I'm hoping the Ford system relies ONLY on mechanical lock-up while in 4-low.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Thanks for the info. I am alway's curious if the engineered systems work in the real world settings. Maybe finding out if the Ford system is better or worse then other manufactures.

Last edited:

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Lexus RC 350, GMC Canyon Denali on order
Occupation
Seed potatoes
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it's still a bit confusing.

From the article linked there: "4L (4X4 LOW) – Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects. 4L (4X4 low) should not engage while your vehicle is moving above 3 mph (5 km/h); this is normal and should be no reason for concern. Refer to Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low) for proper operation."

Electronically or mechanically? Which is it? Lol.

I know that the clutch system on the GM and Ram trucks is very problematic with overheating issues. I've experienced it myself just last year on a brand new Ram tugging on a stuck vehicle for less than 30 seconds. I'm hoping the Ford system relies ONLY on mechanical lock-up while in 4-low.
it’s both electronic and mechanical. The video in the referenced thread does a good job explaining it.
Sponsored