Sponsored

TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have?

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Taking in my Corolla SE for its final freebie from Toyota tire rotation (WS-90's on 15" steel), I went straight underneath the TRD Sport sitting outside and took this snap.

What does the TRD off-road have from the factory? May need to cut this one off and replace, or wait for a TRD bash plate, or wait for aftermarket. Thoughts?

By the way I asked one of my many local Toyota dealers I can go to if they install a leveling kit. They responded, only from TRD. That sux, no buying tires from them, plenty of off-road shops that will do it. I have not asked the dealer where my allocation will someday, if it ever gets built, 6MT TRD Sport will arrive. I can always entice them for a deal.

2024 Tacoma TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have? thumbnail_20240224_112815
Sponsored

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
Just watched the video from Berge Toyota in Mesa AZ revealing some interesting new info about the Taco, went to their website, and they have a couple of '24 Taco OR's with a dealer installed Rugged Trail Series 2.5"front/1" rear lift, Bilstein 5100 monotube shocks, 285/70R17 premium off road wheels and off road tires, and "only" $5994! So now it's leveled and lifted, with better tires and wheels and shocks!

Reactions: oxi
OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Just watched the video from Berge Toyota in Mesa AZ revealing some interesting new info about the Taco, went to their website, and they have a couple of '24 Taco OR's with a dealer installed Rugged Trail Series 2.5"front/1" rear lift, Bilstein 5100 monotube shocks, 285/70R17 premium off road wheels and off road tires, and "only" $5994! So now it's leveled and lifted, with better tires and wheels and shocks!

I was just thinking for now to level it out and run 265/70 R18 for the TRD Sport. That would be 32.6" tires maintaining the 10.4" width. I like that width I have with my soon to be sold 2016 SR that runs 265/75 R16 KO2's.

2024 Tacoma TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have? thumbnail_20240219_163241

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just thinking for now to level it out and run 265/70 R18 for the TRD Sport. That would be 32.6" tires maintaining the 10.4" width. I like that width I have with my soon to be sold 2016 SR that runs 265/75 R16 KO2's.

thumbnail_20240219_163241.jpg
Nice clean Taco you have there, and it looks very off-road ready, so why are you going to the Sport instead of the OF; just curious!?

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Nice clean Taco you have there, and it looks very off-road ready, so why are you going to the Sport instead of the OF; just curious!?

I spend more time on the road. My off-roading days are behind me. The TRD Sport is still a true Tacoma 4x4, same stance, heights, etc... I love the 6MT that will come with 4.30 gears (like my outgoing SR), so it is not geared as street truck. A street truck is like my old 05 X-Runner, 2wd, dropped and fast.

I like the fake hood scoop and 18's that make it stick out from the crowd of other Tacoma's.

While spending most of its days on the road, we get some huge winter storms up here, and they are not plowing the county roads when going into work at 4am. Also, we get severe storms with tree debris and flash flooding. It is a requirement in rural Wisconsin to have a capable 4x4 when needed. TRD Sport will do just fine like my 2016 SR has for the last 8 years and SR5 before that.

Thanks for asking... I like to take the difficult route with trucks, that is buy a base model and build it up or just get a TRD Sport and try and match tires with the 18's.

2024 Tacoma TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have? original1

2024 Tacoma TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have? scan0007

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
By the way, I made the fake hood scoop functional on my old X-Runner.

I ripped out the plastic piece and kept the mesh and stenciled TRD on it and it became functional. That is, when at stop lights or stopping at the store or work, it let's out the hot air from under the hood on the street. See, functional, :)

I did see a Tacoma back in the day, a sport model, 2G that did what I did, and upon looking into the mesh, he had a hose rigged to his intake. Interesting, but not sure if it worked. I would not try that with my 4.0L on the track though, wheel well entry with TRD cold air intake with URD mapping controls.

EpicTaco

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MachE
Taking in my Corolla SE for its final freebie from Toyota tire rotation (WS-90's on 15" steel), I went straight underneath the TRD Sport sitting outside and took this snap.

What does the TRD off-road have from the factory? May need to cut this one off and replace, or wait for a TRD bash plate, or wait for aftermarket. Thoughts?

By the way I asked one of my many local Toyota dealers I can go to if they install a leveling kit. They responded, only from TRD. That sux, no buying tires from them, plenty of off-road shops that will do it. I have not asked the dealer where my allocation will someday, if it ever gets built, 6MT TRD Sport will arrive. I can always entice them for a deal.

thumbnail_20240224_112815.jpg
So I have a question maybe someone knows because I have asked a few dealers. Can the skid plate be purchased and installed on a 24 TRD Sport because I am def removing the air dam it looks horrible , and yes I know it will affect MPG if I go on a long road trip I will screw the 9 screws in and put it back on. I would like to order the skid plate to keep that felt one from getting torn up on the road.

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
So I have a question maybe someone knows because I have asked a few dealers. Can the skid plate be purchased and installed on a 24 TRD Sport because I am def removing the air dam it looks horrible , and yes I know it will affect MPG if I go on a long road trip I will screw the 9 screws in and put it back on. I would like to order the skid plate to keep that felt one from getting torn up on the road.

I am asking that question too. Looks like it will bolt up with the OEM on the OR, all we would need is a part number to remove the felt one.

I plan on removing the air dam, and never installing it back, thus the need for a better skid plate for road debris and if I need to off-road and deep snow.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spend more time on the road. My off-roading days are behind me. The TRD Sport is still a true Tacoma 4x4, same stance, heights, etc... I love the 6MT that will come with 4.30 gears (like my outgoing SR), so it is not geared as street truck. A street truck is like my old 05 X-Runner, 2wd, dropped and fast.

I like the fake hood scoop and 18's that make it stick out from the crowd of other Tacoma's.

While spending most of its days on the road, we get some huge winter storms up here, and they are not plowing the county roads when going into work at 4am. Also, we get severe storms with tree debris and flash flooding. It is a requirement in rural Wisconsin to have a capable 4x4 when needed. TRD Sport will do just fine like my 2016 SR has for the last 8 years and SR5 before that.

Thanks for asking... I like to take the difficult route with trucks, that is buy a base model and build it up or just get a TRD Sport and try and match tires with the 18's.

original1.jpg

scan0007.jpg
Makes perfect sense to me! I also do a lot of highway driving, but it's a 6.2 mile poorly-maintained dirt road to my street, than another .3 miles on my even more poorly-maintained dirt road to my even worse .2 mile dirt driveway; probably going to need better tires than comes stock on the OR!

2024 Tacoma TRD Sport has this fabric skid thing up front. What does TRD Off-Road have? IMG_0273(1)

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Makes perfect sense to me! I also do a lot of highway driving, but it's a 6.2 mile poorly-maintained dirt road to my street, than another .3 miles on my even more poorly-maintained dirt road to my even worse .2 mile dirt driveway; probably going to need better tires than comes stock on the OR!

IMG_0273(1).jpg

Love the Bronco you have!

TRD OR would be better suited for your driveway needs. We still have paved roads here... for now.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the Bronco you have!

TRD OR would be better suited for your driveway needs. We still have paved roads here... for now.
The Hulk has gotten me everywhere I've needed to go, and my 100 lb Pittie/Mastiff enjoys the room in the back, but it is a little tight when sleeping in it. I traded my Trail Boss for it and I really do miss the versatility of a truck, and with a Tune M1 (or even a camper shell) on it we'll have lots more room, and I won't have to tow the TAG, so the Taco will be a big improvement. Happy Trails!
Sponsored