Waiting out the price markups

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
So I put a deposit on a TRDOR for MSRP, but I am assuming that's going to take a while, as they are the only dealership selling at MSRP in Socal. I've called maybe 20-25 dealerships and it looks like all of them are attempting to do a markup in the first go. Basically, what I've been hearing is "Right now we are going to list with a markup, but if Toyota send us more or they aren't selling with a markup, we will reduce to MSRP."

I am wondering how many of you guys are waiting out the initial markup bid these greedy-ass dealers are doing. I have a strong feeling that they won't last long, outside the initial few units in January. These trucks got a hell of a lot more expensive, and it seems like most of them are coming with premium package, which pushes it into the 52-55 range. Add 5k for TTL and a 5K markup and 7-9% APR, and I don't think there's going to be much demand for that. I think people willing to drop that amount of money on a midsize, are waiting for the Max.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snkrjeff020

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
So many dealers out there not charging a markup. Search for them and do be afraid to buy a plane ticket and drive it back.
Honestly not a bad idea. It will give me time to get acquainted too.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Oh this is a nice tool. What a surprise though, none in San Diego. But looks like there are some options in LA.
Yup, go make some friends and start hitting up their internet departments. Also take a look at the toyota inventory system. https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/model/tacoma/?zipcode=77373

You may need to change search radius to 500 miles. A lot of dealers who are doing the markups have it listed. If they don't then those are the ones I would send an inquiry too. Feel free to create a burner gmail account as well as google voice number.

On a funny note....There was a dealer near me charging 10K markup on the Tundras. They had 5 on the lot. The dealership I used at zero markup was sending everyone to them for test drives and then making all the sales.

Manny991220

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2018 SR5
Im from San Diego I found one in Santa Maria they have plenty Trd offroad upgrade package with stabilizer and upgraded audio 14inch underground color for 51,146 just needs taxes thats msrp

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
I am wondering how many of you guys are waiting out the initial markup bid these greedy-ass dealers are doing.
I posted a similar reply elsewhere, but it bears repeating: I won’t pay a penny over MSRP. Our dealer agreed verbally, but was sort of half-assed about it, the equivalent of a limp handshake and look-at-your-shoes agreement. This includes forced upgrades of any kind that weren’t factory- or port-installed. No pinstripes. No Scotch Guard. No windshield insurance. No extended warranty. No fees other than those usual and customary in Texas, which typically amount to a few hundred bucks plus TTL.

The truck won’t be financed, which saves the headache of combing through the loan documents looking for hidden / non-authorized fees tied to the loan. If my wife and I get any pushback at all, we’ll walk, a gift to the next guy in line for a Trailhunter who might have more patience with unethical dealer practices and more whimsy with his money than we do..

OP
OP
Snkrjeff020

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
I posted a similar reply elsewhere, but it bears repeating: I won’t pay a penny over MSRP. Our dealer agreed verbally, but was sort of half-assed about it, the equivalent of a limp handshake and look-at-your-shoes agreement. This includes forced upgrades of any kind that weren’t factory- or port-installed. No pinstripes. No Scotch Guard. No windshield insurance. No extended warranty. No fees other than those usual and customary in Texas, which typically amount to a few hundred bucks plus TTL.

The truck won’t be financed, which saves the headache of combing through the loan documents looking for hidden / non-authorized fees tied to the loan. If my wife and I get any pushback at all, we’ll walk, a gift to the next guy in line for a Trailhunter who might have more patience with unethical dealer practices and more whimsy with his money than we do..
Yeah unfortunate for Trail hunter theres 100% going to be like a 10-15k markup or like a 3 year wait for MSRP for most people. Basically the Pro and TH are unobtainium. Considering I am only looking for what is equivalent to the higher end, middle of the pack trim and 93% of dealers are requiring a mark up, you can bet the pros and TH are done for.

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Yeah unfortunate for Trail hunter theres 100% going to be like a 10-15k markup or like a 3 year wait for MSRP for most people. Basically the Pro and TH are unobtainium. Considering I am only looking for what is equivalent to the higher end, middle of the pack trim and 93% of dealers are requiring a mark up, you can bet the pros and TH are done for.
YMMV. In my part of Texas little trucklets take a back seat demand-wise to full-size domestics. And many truck buyers around here don’t want a half-ton, either. The Ford Super Duty in the three-quarter ton size, lifted with aftermarket wheels with offset that widens the stance further, is the darling of Texas.

If we do end up buying a $65K Tacoma in Trailhunter form, I don’t expect it’ll be hard to do at MSRP around here, based on in-person interaction with two local dealers. In your neck of the woods, that’s a different story. Tacos are everywhere the few times I’ve been to California.

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma Sport
My dealer chased me down after I had a valuation done when getting service on my 2nd gen . . . found out I was waiting for a 2024 Sport, and sent me this offer from their first allocation coming in… Looks like no add on but I am waiting for the hybrid so I didn’t clarify with the dealer the out the door price. He told me for $500 deposit I could it could be mine. I’ve been waiting five years for a new Tacoma, but I can wait longer if they’re going to try any MSRP add on shenanigans with the IforceMax models
2024 Tacoma Waiting out the price markups 1910B686-8B19-4B2C-AD09-D314F09C8B43

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
My salesperson took my deposit and promised me MSRP (I know there might be options added on, but whatever).

Just got an email from another salesperson saying he left and she's taking over... so now I'm getting the sweats.

If they play games, I'll walk. The way I see it, I either get an early build and enjoy it right away, or wait out some of the kinks the new MY may bring. Still annoyed though.

OP
OP
Snkrjeff020

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
My salesperson took my deposit and promised me MSRP (I know there might be options added on, but whatever).

Just got an email from another salesperson saying he left and she's taking over... so now I'm getting the sweats.

If they play games, I'll walk. The way I see it, I either get an early build and enjoy it right away, or wait out some of the kinks the new MY may bring. Still annoyed though.
This is the way. They can't keep charging ADMs if no one is willing to pay them. I just see all the 2023 Tacomas sitting on lots right now and cant help but imagine one day itll be 2024s, so that in itself makes me not want to do ADM.
Sponsored