• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What Made You Choose Your Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their car's in the easiest way possible.
Of all the vehicles out there, what drew you to your ride? Did you instantly know what you wanted or did you shop around first?

We’re curious about your journey. We assume most of you are going to talk about your Ranger, but tell us about other ones too if you want.

On a personal note, here’s why I chose my Jeep Renegade — I know, wrong crowd but bare with me. The Corolla I had before was totaled (RIP Alejandro) and I needed a car that was affordable but still an upgrade. I was initially drawn to a Jeep because I had a friend with this sick purple jeep with removable doors. I also enjoyed that Jeeps had little easter eggs hidden around them. Plus, Jeeps aren’t shy with color and I liked that I could have a fun colored car without any extra work or money. Plus jeep owners know how to have fun and have cute traditions like leaving each other ducks.

All that considered, I did look at other options but kept eyeing the sweet Jeep Wrangler on the lot. It was way out of my price range and I was looking for something more compact for day to day stuff. The folks at the dealership showed me to an orange used renegade and it was a pretty good fit for my needs and price range. I named her Velma. I’m pretty happy with her and I like that it syncs with apple play, and is decent on fuel efficiency.

Anyway, tell us about your vehicle and what made you choose it. Was there much of a choice? Sometimes we choose our vehicles and other times they choose us, like when your parents stick you with that old family car but then you go on to have amazing memories with it. Either way, reply with how you chose or ended up with your car.
Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gen 6 Ranger WildTrak
Occupation
I could tell you, but then I’d have to…
I chose my Gen 6 Ranger for a few reasons.

First, I’ll be on this assignment for a few years and getting out and exploring is something my wife and I really enjoy. We needed something that was going to be reliable and comfortable enough for the (really) long trips it takes to get somewhere out here but capable enough for the “Hey that looks cool! Let’s go check it out!” moments along the way. We knew 4WD was a must for that reason. It then came down to the Ranger and Toyota Hilux for those reasons.

We ultimately went with the Ranger because it was much better equipped and exponentially more comfortable than a used Hilux we found for the same money. We’ve had great luck with Ford over the years and currently have a Bronco sitting at home waiting for our return. We knew how capable that one has been so it seemed a good bet this one would be too. The next gen gave us insight as to what likely will be heading to the US market so this gave us a three year test drive in order to know what we like in the truck when we get back home.

It’s been a great choice and exceeded expectations at every point along the way!!

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
@Equitasforall I'm extremely jealous. I've never been so excited for a product announcement in my whole life. The wait is almost worse knowing everything about it, from how it looks to how it drives from ROW reviews online.

I owned a Tacoma for 3 years and loved it. A few years after that I got a 4Runner and had it for 6 years. I came to despise that gutless engine and refused to look at another Taco when looking for a truck again. I ended up loving the look and feel of the current gen Ranger and bought one. I had a really good experience with it so I new I wanted to upgrade to a gen 6. I figured it would be better to sell it when I could still get out of it without losing any money on my initial purchase price. So here I sit truckless and not-so-patiently waiting for the new ones to come out.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Equitasforall I'm extremely jealous. I've never been so excited for a product announcement in my whole life. The wait is almost worse knowing everything about it, from how it looks to how it drives from ROW reviews online.

I owned a Tacoma for 3 years and loved it. A few years after that I got a 4Runner and had it for 6 years. I came to despise that gutless engine and refused to look at another Taco when looking for a truck again. I ended up loving the look and feel of the current gen Ranger and bought one. I had a really good experience with it so I new I wanted to upgrade to a gen 6. I figured it would be better to sell it when I could still get out of it without losing any money on my initial purchase price. So here I sit truckless and not-so-patiently waiting for the new ones to come out.
One of the reasons I’m on here is to provide as much info as I can about it and to share experiences. Hoping that helps some, at least in the decision making. I’ve had a couple other Rangers over the years. Couple of Raptors. Couple of Tacomas. Really just about all the players at one point in time. This is my second favorite pickup behind a 2018 Raptor SuperCrew.

Have patience my friend. So far I think it’s worth the wait…..

JJ452

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 3.0
I always liked pickup trucks but pretty much all of them in the UK are very commercially orientated compared to the SUV counterparts. The 6G ranger is the first one that comes with all the bells and whistles and means I didn't have to sacrifice anything by choosing it (tech, safety, comfort, AWD). Throw in the F-150 looks and a 3L V6 petrol engine and I was sold immediately.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, that would be one of the important points is comfort. I wish to do longer road and off road trips. does the cabin seem spacious. I am a big guy, I have troubles getting out of my cramped 4G. I would not take my truck on a long distant trip.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Comfort was something I didn’t necessarily consider in my Bronco Sport and should have thought much more about. I too wish to do longer road trips but this is not the car for that. It’s more than maneuverable around the city which was my primary consideration and certainly looks cool enough doing it with some friendly charm carried over from the ‘real’ Bronco. But being cramped & uncomfortable on the worst seats I’ve experienced in a modern car, it’s time to go back to the drawing board.

I’m hoping a midsize truck will give me the quality & comfort my much loved (and shouldn’t have sold) 2007 F150 had, but in a package a little better for getting around the city in than a modern F!50. Though everybody here seems to just go for the full-size truck anyways and I may yet do the same. But if the 6G offers me what that truck had I’ll be sold. Still also considering the new Colorado/Canyon & looking forward to what Toyota and Honda (easy to forget the Ridgeline exists too) might do in the near future.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, that would be one of the important points is comfort. I wish to do longer road and off road trips. does the cabin seem spacious. I am a big guy, I have troubles getting out of my cramped 4G. I would not take my truck on a long distant trip.
I’m 6’2 and 220 pounds and have plenty of room. The Gen 6 is actually a shade larger than 5. A couple inches wider, couple longer, couple taller. Not something most people would notice unless they put the two side by side or read the specs. The little bit bigger isn’t enough to affect drivability, but goes directly to interior space and comfort. It allowed for better seat design front and back. More adjustments in seating position. Better dash layout… all leading to better overall experience.

Been in it for hours at a time over all terrain and no driver fatigue so far. Utility of a truck. Comfort and equipped like an SUV. Great balance.

Oh, and did I mention 925 Kms on a tank of fuel?

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I can't afford a Raptor. I would order the 8 way adjustable seats on a XLT FX4

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I’m 6’2 and 220 pounds and have plenty of room. The Gen 6 is actually a shade larger than 5. A couple inches wider, couple longer, couple taller. Not something most people would notice unless they put the two side by side or read the specs. The little bit bigger isn’t enough to affect drivability, but goes directly to interior space and comfort. It allowed for better seat design front and back. More adjustments in seating position. Better dash layout… all leading to better overall experience.

Been in it for hours at a time over all terrain and no driver fatigue so far. Utility of a truck. Comfort and equipped like an SUV. Great balance.

Oh, and did I mention 925 Kms on a tank of fuel?
My understanding was that the cabin was roughly the same size and the extra width was mostly in the wheel arches to make a wider track.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not wider at the back than the front.
Yes, there is additional width between the wheel arches, but that extra width was put to use in the cabin as well. Even the center console is wider (bought a Gen 5 console tray that went straight to the bottom due to the change.)

Again, we’re not talking about the difference in width between a Harley and a Hummer EV here, but it made a difference. Cab length did as well, especially in the back seats which have more legroom and the seats more of a recline to them as opposed to straight up and down.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I can't afford a Raptor. I would order the 8 way adjustable seats on a XLT FX4
Have them on this WildTrak. That was one of the differences my wife liked vs the Hilux. In the Toyota hers was manual. Powered in the Ranger which makes those fine, micro adjustments easy.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
I chose my Gen 6 Ranger for a few reasons.

First, I’ll be on this assignment for a few years and getting out and exploring is something my wife and I really enjoy. We needed something that was going to be reliable and comfortable enough for the (really) long trips it takes to get somewhere out here but capable enough for the “Hey that looks cool! Let’s go check it out!” moments along the way. We knew 4WD was a must for that reason. It then came down to the Ranger and Toyota Hilux for those reasons.

We ultimately went with the Ranger because it was much better equipped and exponentially more comfortable than a used Hilux we found for the same money. We’ve had great luck with Ford over the years and currently have a Bronco sitting at home waiting for our return. We knew how capable that one has been so it seemed a good bet this one would be too. The next gen gave us insight as to what likely will be heading to the US market so this gave us a three year test drive in order to know what we like in the truck when we get back home.

It’s been a great choice and exceeded expectations at every point along the way!!
That's amazing to hear! Hope you and the wife have some fun adventures coming up!

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
I always liked pickup trucks but pretty much all of them in the UK are very commercially orientated compared to the SUV counterparts. The 6G ranger is the first one that comes with all the bells and whistles and means I didn't have to sacrifice anything by choosing it (tech, safety, comfort, AWD). Throw in the F-150 looks and a 3L V6 petrol engine and I was sold immediately.
Had no idea the UK had such limited truck options. In the states, you see them everywhere you turn. Glad to hear you got the ranger though, it's got everything you could want in a truck.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's amazing to hear! Hope you and the wife have some fun adventures coming up!
That’s always part of the fun… not necessarily planning but just exploring. In the states we often flip a coin to decide if we go left right or straight. Harder to do that here, but still plenty of options! And we’ll post pics afterwards!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.