• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
I don’t want to get into a remarkably long debate but curious what you guys will be running. For the last decade I’ve run a Mobil1 Full Sythetic in my vehicles. At the 6,000mi interval I change the oil, I haven’t found sludge or anything to suggest the oil had broken down enough to harm my engines. I used to run the Motorcraft parasynthetic oil but it required a shorter change interval (I found it to be 4,000mi or less). And with these Ecoboost engines there has been great debate regarding the best oil; regarding fuel blowing past the piston rings into the crankcase, diluting non-synthetic oil, and the fuel/oil/air mix finding its way back up the crankcase breather tube, into the air intake, and baking onto the intake valves closest to where this recycled air enters the air intake.

Eventually there will be many options for air/oil separators (aka “oil catch cans”) for the Ranger, but in the meantime I’d like to run a synthetic that will reduce the deposits being left on my valves.
Sponsored

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
I have run Mobile 1 in all my vehicles. My F-150 I sold to get my Ranger had 226,000 miles on it and the engine ran smooth as silk. The only major work ever done was when they opened it up to put new Cam Shaft Phasers on the motor at 130,000 miles. The technicians were in awe at how good the engine looked inside. At some point (2nd or 3rd oil change), I will switch to Mobile 1. My change interval on Mobile 1 is every 10,000 miles.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Mobil 1 full synthetic after my first 5 oil changes that I negotiated into my sale price

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Amsoil will be the life blood of my truck. Ordered 0w-30 signature and 75w-90 for the front and rear diff’s. Will be changing all of this at 2k miles initially and then engine oil once ever 6 months or 10k miles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Amsoil will be the life blood of my truck. Ordered 0w-30 signature and 75w-90 for the front and rear diff’s. Will be changing all of this at 2k miles initially and then engine oil once ever 6 months or 10k miles.
I've always been partial to Castrol Synthetic and Wix filters. Coming in a close second would be the Ford Synthetic and Ford Filter.

Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
Before retirement, I worked as a fleet mechanic for Mobil Oil,
We had access to a corporate lubrication department which provided us with expert advice on every lubricant .
For my personal vehicles I have run Motorcraft oil and have never had a part which ran in oil show any wear. Of course oil change intervals have increased as oil has improved and as fuel management has improved.
I will use Motorcraft parasynthetic 5W30 in my new Ranger .
It meets the highest standard in the industry.
I have been cautious about extending oil change intervals so I'll probably be conservative and change oil every 4000 miles. I may even hand my used oil down to be used in some older cars as I have in the past.

When asked about oil change intervals I usually respond with this question....
What sort of underwear do you wear??
After the incredulous look on their faces I continue...
Whether you wear cotton , synthetic blend fabric, or the finest silk,
they still get the same skid marks!
Mobil 1 Is as good as it gets, but it honestly won't provide any greater protection than Motorcraft, Especially if you think you can run it after it is contaminated.
Motorcraft parasynthetic 5W30 meets SN+ standards,but moreover it meets ILSAC GF-5 standards. AFAIK there is no higher standard for gasoline engines.

Another point... oil service life involves a lot more than the number of miles, and so oil change intervals should be done based on other factors as well, with the mileage arrived at after those considerations.

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Only Mobil 1. Btw, the semi and full synthetic from Ford is Mobil 1. At least that's what my factory fill was on my Fusion Sport.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Another point... oil service life involves a lot more than the number of miles, and so oil change intervals should be done based on other factors as well, with the mileage arrived at after those considerations.
This is a good point - Quite a while ago, I saw advice that said that if your vehicle had a computer with oil change reminders the best way to gauge when to change oil was to use the computer. It knows the operating parameters of the engine, and should tell you when you need to change the oil based on those.

Our C-Max has that and that is when I know to change the oil. I'm assuming the Ranger has a similar function. Seems most cars these days have this built in.

Oils and engines have come a LONG ways since the days of "every 3000 miles".

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
This is a good point - Quite a while ago, I saw advice that said that if your vehicle had a computer with oil change reminders the best way to gauge when to change oil was to use the computer. It knows the operating parameters of the engine, and should tell you when you need to change the oil based on those.

Our C-Max has that and that is when I know to change the oil. I'm assuming the Ranger has a similar function. Seems most cars these days have this built in.

Oils and engines have come a LONG ways since the days of "every 3000 miles".
Mobil 1 for me..

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I think any synthetic will hold up well. Only thing I would like to see is how certain brands hold up in a tuned engine. Higher pressures, temperatures, fuel exposure, etc. Those conditions are what shorten oil life. Furthermore, with using methanol injection it is critical to have an oil that can hold up. For me, amsoil gives the greatest protection for a tuned vehicle. The cost difference is negligible compared to the other oils and gives added peace of mind.

Sponsored

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
Mobil 1 the best. I have been using it in all my trucks and wife's car.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
All I know is that whatever is in the factory fill, it looks and feels very thin, and reeks of fuel after 3500 miles. I'll be changing it out for Mobil 1 5w30 in another 500 miles, I hope the Mobil 1 looks better at the next check interval as this stuff was still honey colored, but the fuel smell was excessive.

Reactions: Doc