• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Where are the consumer reviews? Deliveries? Aussies and EMEIA help us out

Kiwitch

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor Next Gen
Occupation
Sales
Ford claim 11.5l per 100km
I thought this was unrealistic but actually it's accurate if you drive Nanna styles. Yesterday I did 130km and averaged 11.3 litres per 100, average speed over that distance was 80kph. Was a slow drive but put the foot down a couple of times to pass but definitely was cruising and gentle on the throttle to achieve that number.
Other drives around town where I'm having some fun you looking at 15l min
Sponsored

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
looking good! Let us know about the transmission "learning". Also - how do you like the contrasting Code Orange accents in the interior. I'm normally a "red" guy for cars but I know I won't like the clash of orange and red. Maybe Blue, Grey, or Iconic Silver. White also an option.

Interested in your thoughts.

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
drive.com.au report Raptor consumption as:
  • 10L/100km for highway
  • 14L/100km for urban and
  • 11.5L/100km for the combined cycle
Ford Ranger Where are the consumer reviews?  Deliveries?  Aussies and EMEIA help us out Screenshot 2022-10-25 100951
"Alongside the 11.5L/100km combined claim, the Green Vehicle Guide claims lists urban and highway fuel consumption for the new Ford Ranger Raptor petrol V6 of 14L/100km and 10L/100km respectively."

I think your 130km at 80km/hr average is a lot more like the highway cycle than the combined but not too bad considering you are pushing a 2.5 tonne brick along with 292KW petrol engine.

CHIBANE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.2 WILDTRACK
Got mine 1.5 month ago, here are few points

overall a very nice truck ,
4500 km mixed drive , highway, offroad , traffic.... my average is 14.7 l /100 km.
I find normal mode to be the best for this truck.
The gearing in sport mode is annoying.
Brakes are weak and the Ko2 lack of grip even in dry ( i found them excellent on my 3,2 wildtrack ).
at high speed the front feels soft / floating a bit.
So drive it as it is : a powerful truck , not a sportcar :sunglasses:

electronic and gadgets:
auto start not clever , i leave it off ( it can be saved in your raptor mode )
there is a pre collision brake assist that you also have to disable everytime ( it stoped the car twice in traffic already this sytem is dumb )
you have to switch off the line keeping system evrytime you start the car as it can not be saved in your raptor mode too.
considering all the above, i would never trust the auto parking assist :lipssealed:

offroad: very capable
difflock switch is on touch screen which is annoying , would prefer a normal switch
The occasional baja mode run is pure joy :clap:

dshandy

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS300
Couple more recent reviews!

The new Ford Ranger Raptor 3.0 V6 TT is insane! 2023 driving REVIEW onroad vs offroad

RIP ALL OTHER TRUCKS/UTES! (2023 Ford Ranger Raptor Review!)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Almost 2 months since i posted this. Certainly there has to be some civilian deliveries that have taken place, we want to know what you think. Please share.

FYI - I went through this in 02 with my 03 Cobra and waiting on info, same with my 2020 Shelby GT500. Tom Petty was right - "The Waiting is the hardest part".

BBRanger

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Making sense of scripture
Global people who are now receiving their Ranger Raptor's. What are you thoughts? Likes/Dislikes, Impressions of the product? Just waiting here patiently...... Just Like I did for my Shelby GT500. 4K miles on it!
Hi mate, had mine for maybe a month or so now.

The thing is awesome really. Very comfortable as a daily, practical and quick when you need it to be.

Biggest downside is the small stock fuel tank. However there are now some options for 140l replacement tanks in Aus which will help and shouldn't affect performance noticeably with any luck.

Brakes are probably the only other thing stock that could be better considering the performance. Not sure if it's worth looking at braided lines and upgraded rotors/pads - will assess a bit down the track.

Cooling seats would have been nice too, but definitely not a deal breaker as the aircon seems great.

Have fitted the ARB dual compressor which fits on the inside rear tub panel (very cool), now looking at roof platform options along with lightbars etc.

I'm sure you'll love yours when it comes.

Kon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor Next Gen
Biggest downside is the small stock fuel tank. However there are now some options for 140l replacement tanks in Aus which will help and shouldn't affect performance noticeably with any luck
Totally agree. The range on a stock tank is pitiful.

Where are you seeing an aftermarket petrol tank? I've seen diesel tanks available for the other Rangers, but not for the Raptor. Any advice appreciated!

diremy

First Name
Didier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Photographer and filmmaker
Reactions: Kon

Sponsored
OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
More have to be in the hands of owners. Three things I'd like to know

1. Overall quality of the build?
2. Orange trim in interior - too much or a nice "pop"
3. Performance on and off road.

Thanks!

JJ452

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 3.0

Thanks!
Here are my thoughts after a week with the Raptor.

1. I'm Impressed with the build quality. Everything is solid - no squeaks or rattles and everything fits nicely. It's as good as my previous BMW and better than my wife's MK7 VW Golf. Things that your touch in the cabin is of nice quality. Seats are excellent in my opinion. Sound system is decent at low-mid volume and good with the mid range but is poor at louder volumes in particular the bass is uncontrolled - better than a regular stock system in a car but not as good as some of the paid for options car manufacturers offer (Dynaudio, Hardman Kardon etc)
2. I got mine in black and was worried about the orange trim in the interior but it works well. It looks red(ish) under certain light so I think it's a nice touch and not too in your face. A few people I've shown the truck to have pointed it out as a nice feature.
3. Mostly used on road so far (few trips to the beach). My initial impressions are it's very stable at low and high speeds. Not upset by rough tarmac or potholes, not thrown offtrack by strong winds and feels happy at 70/80mph on the Motorway. Impressed by it in heavy rain and it's resistance to aquaplaning. Have used it to tow a Land Rover Defender and it was effortless. The beach trips I wouldn't count as off-roading given it's capability but it was reassuring and confidence inspiring without a hint of any difficulty. Doesn't feel as large as it is - surprisingly relaxing to be behind the wheel.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
JJ452 - Thank you for the response and insights. All things I wanted to hear. This will end up being my daily driver after coming from a 300 SRT8. So I like the right size, power, and ride.

Kon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor Next Gen

Thanks!
So, 6 months and 4500km in, there's a lot to like and a bunch of irritation, though not deal breakers.
The vehicle is mechanically awesome. It handles bad roads, off-road lumps and bumps, rocks, high-speed dirt and water crossings perfectly. The first time we took it over gravel and flood damage we almost didn't know we were driving off tarmac. It is THAT good. Contrary to JJ452, my experience in rain is that it is not as stable, and can be a little slippery. Perhaps this is Queensland roads and Queensland rain which is not gentle! Some care is needed in these conditions. It doesn't like sharp high speed emergency maneuvers (but what trucks do?) The only time I've ever felt uncertain about control was avoiding an animal at 100km/h.
While it is thirsty, I've managed to keep my average fuel consumption at 13.5 L/100km since new, using a mix of 98 and 95 octane, driving mainly Queensland backroads at 100kph max (annoying when I know it goes substantially faster on dirt!).
I also have a different experience to JJ452 in towing. Pulling anything behind this turns it into a pig. I've towed about 1.5t of agricultural equipment on a 10x6 mechanically braked box trailer for 250km, and it was rubbish. Engine response became poor, handling was hard and rough. I suspect an electric brake would make a world of difference but I am disappointed with this aspect, despite being aware you don't buy the Raptor to pull things!

Comfort wise, the interior is high quality and comfortable for both driver and front passenger. Can't comment on the back seat comfort. I don't notice the orange accents (in a blue body).
I'm not a fan of the massive display in the centre console as it takes your eyes off the road too much for too long, and a touch screen in an off-road vehicle is just stupid - very difficult to use without any anchor points for your hand. That said, the situational cameras are excellent, and really help off road. Also essential for town driving in this beast. I just wish they stayed on at higher speeds; they switch to a different display when exceeding their threshold which is quite low. Ford also missed an opportunity to put more useful displays into the instrument display. A map view or camera view would have been brilliant behind the steering wheel and far more usable. Steering wheel controls for the main console are a real miss. Voice commands don't work well, or at all if there is no internet access, so basically are useless in most off-road scenarios.
Climate control is excellent. Think brass monkeys...

Overall build quality seems excellent, with a few notable exceptions. The tub is full of holes. If you plan on sticking a lid or canopy on this, sealing it against water and dust ingress is extremely difficult. The tailgate gaps are ridiculous, and as yet I have not found an aftermarket seal kit in Australia for this. The tub itself looks slightly uneven left to right (gaps are different on each side), which is a marked variation in quality control to the rest of the cab and chassis build.

There are a few things I really don't like. Small fuel tank. Even driving economically I only get 550km range. Towing or off-road will reduce that substantially.

The electronic driver aids REALLY suck. Lane control keeps pushing me into the middle of the road+which is downright dangerous on rural roads with prime movers oncoming.
Speed limiter audio can't be disabled and the speed limiter no longer works properly after the early recall adjustment. It used to maintain within 2kph, now happily let's the truck get to 15kph over the limit down hills all while pinging an alert bell which overrides all other cockpit sounds like indicators.
Headlights are good, but the autodimming high beams are iffy. They keep dropping off when there's big reflective signs on the road, and occasionally don't dip with oncoming traffic. This is even after a recall software update.
The electronic user guide is a joke (both on the console and online). It didn't work for the first few months as Ford had left engineering firmware on the system. I want a paper or PDF manual for this expensive vehicle, Ford!
The engine autostart/stop is painful and dangerous as it keeps turning off at yield intersections. You can't disable it by default which is fricking annoying, although I recently leaned the Raptor key remembers that setting (helps to have a user guide...)
The most frustrating thing about this vehicle is Ford Australia themselves. On balance, the truck is really good despite its faults and current lack of approved aftermarket accessories in Aus (yes, I know they are slowly hitting the market, but 6 months later and still no Ford approved bullbar is unacceptable), but the delivery process was painful and the lack of communication, concern or care from Ford was borderline offensive. (Note that the dealership was great and helpful, but also severely limited by Ford corporate.) They basically told me it was my fault I couldn't read the user manual and are disinterested in solving this. It took 4 attempts to fix the electronic user guide (which didn't work from new), and a threat to return the vehicle as non-functional under Australian consumer law unless they fixed it. Basically they don't give a carp about the consumer. Given my experience I would not buy Ford again even though the vehicle is great.
YMMV
Unfortunately I suspect that this is not just Ford under the new normal that is vehicle manufacturing on-demand, and we'll be paying full price with long waits for all cars from here on.
My whinge about Ford corporate notwithstanding, you'll love the truck and have a lot of fun with it, and maybe get a bit of work done too :)

DarkSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LMR C6 Corvette - Reaper
The engine autostart/stop is painful and dangerous as it keeps turning off at yield intersections. You can't disable it by default which is fricking annoying, although I recently leaned the Raptor key remembers that setting (helps to have a user guide...)
This guy, at 1:42, apparently found that installing a night light in the backseat stops auto stop/start. I'm keen to see if it works on the Raptor.
Sponsored