Why are new pickup trucks so expensive? -- Video link

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Since this has been a very popular topic on this forum related to the pricing of the 4th gen Tacoma's, I wanted to share a video I watched last night explaining some of the reasons that new trucks are so expensive.

This video does a good job highlighting many of the contributing factors behind new truck pricing in general, not Toyota specific. I liked the video and found it to be informative with a lot of points that ring true with what we are seeing on the 4th Gen Tacoma.

Sponsored

Last edited:

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
“Software costs money”

most software SUCKS and should cost nothing.

Last edited:

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
“Software costs money”

most software SUCKS and should cost nothing.
Which is why good software costs good money. For a very long time the traditional vehicle manufacturers have not been paying good money for software teams and that has led to all kinds of terrible software in vehicles.

Since companies like Tesla and Rivian have taken different approaches and focused much more on software, the legacy companies have started to follow that trend. That being said, they are still a bit behind for the most part in this area.

Further, given that pretty much everything is controlled by software in modern vehicles, I, personally very much want the best software possible given I'm driving a several ton machine at 80 mph on highways with thousands of other people doing the same.

orions dad

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Same thing happened with the Tundra. For years Toyota was lagging behind features wise with the competition than once the truck gets updated people expect prices to remain the same that isn’t reality
Sponsored