The guy that I've gotten to know through the RV forums (and the FB towing group) who worked on this directly (before retiring a few months ago) told me in a private message: " I was told it has nothing to do with the transmission but supplier interaction with ABS that is preventing recreational...
A person on one of the Ranger Facebook forums mentioned that the '24 Bronco was also affected by this and would not (initially) be flat-towable. Looking at his other posts, you could tell he was not one of those guys who just pulled things out of thin air; almost sounded like he worked for Ford...
OHHHHHHHHHH, I didn't realize you were using imperial gallons! I knew you calculate mileage differently (gallons per 100?) but didn't realize the gallons were different, as well! Carry on, son. ;)
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not a leadfoot and with the 2.4L, I'm only getting 19 combined for the 25 months I've had it. I'm not dissatisfied with that but I'd hate to see someone thinking they were going to get much better than that.
I've had my Tremor Ranger for two years and keep meticulous records. I drive 74 on the highways and don't gun it in town. My average for those two years is 19 and on the highway, if I'm out of the city and can just put the cruise on, it will do about 22. Not sure how much of a bump you're...
In addition to the suspension, realize the Raptor itself weighs substantially more than just the base 4x4 Ranger. Towing capacity is lost on both ends: the GCWR is lower because of the suspension and the truck weighs more because of the extra components.
And, that was the expectation. Not sure what the disconnect was regarding the ABS system but it must've been considerable for them to simply scrap it for the model year. Quite disappointing for me, personally. My lease ends next May and the plan was to simply step into a 24. Looks like I'll...
Sounds a bit snarky, don't ya' think?
They were in the final stages of testing when he retired. He had not heard that they ran into these complications after he left, so he had no reason to believe otherwise, especially given that it's basically the same vehicle as a Bronco, just with a bed...
This is an exact copy of the messenger chat we had:
Tim, I got a hold of the system engineer, and the 24 unfortunately won’t be flat towable. I was told it has nothing to do with the transmission but supplier interaction with ABS that is preventing recreational tow. The problem is going to get...
I am starting a separate thread for this as many may have already seen the previous thread but have now stopped watching that one.
A person that I know from other RV forums, who is a recently-retired Ford engineer in the towing systems area, was as surprised as we were when I told him that we...
*** UPDATE 16 JUNE 2023 ***
Well, I've got some really bad news and a small ray of sunshine. This is from a recently-retired Ford engineer who was in the towing systems area! At the time of his retirement, they were testing the flat-towing of the 6G Ranger so this news caught him off guard...
My source (recently-retired Ford engineer with many contacts still at Ford) tells me the relevant measurements on the boxes are identical between the two and the only difference is plastic rail caps. I'm hoping that the 5g cover can be re-used on the 6g (as well as the baseplate for towing up...
I wanted a tonneau cover on my 5G but also needed to have a topper for when our Ranger is our toad vehicle behind our motorhome. The only company I've found that has a product that does both is Fas-top out of North Dakota. Very pleased with the performance and the flexibility it allows me.
There seems to be some discrepancy in towing capacity.
This is from the media release kit on the Ford.com website.
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2024/ranger/All-New%202024%20Ford%20Ranger%20Technical%20Specifications.pdf