• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Ranger Technical Service Info

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah...your driving habits and any data the car can collect are being sold to google regardless of your cellphone choice or abstaining from android auto. Read the Terms & Conditions for any OEM car headunit.
Sponsored

ivotuk

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
So how do you think all the websites that you use for free pay for their operations? How does Mozilla and duckduckgo finance their operations? Your data is what pays for it. This isn't a Google problem, even though it is trendy to bash them. Where are ads plastered all over the Android Auto or Android Automotive screens?

What operating system does your Motorola phone use, oh wait, it is Android. And what do updates to the phone have to do with tracking? You might want a refund on your CS degree unless you like spurting out half truths and propaganda.
WOW, interesting response. My point is this, nobody comes close to selling your info they way Google does. And, if you would have read the complete post, you would see that I mentioned my phone being an Android. The issue is, updates change things, some intentionally, some not intentionally. And they add Bloatware. I get by much better without constant updates.

Google used to be the search engine to compete against the big companies, like Microsoft, now they have become that "Giant Software Company."

Mozilla and duckduckgo don't have lawsuits against them.

Google keeps buying up companies like Nest to learn even more about your habits. They've become invasive, and like anything, it's always wise to investigate other options.

By the way, my degree is from an accredited University. The only reason I mentioned it was to demonstrate my experience (24 years) in the field. So I'm very familiar with privacy issues.

jensht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Raptor
WOW, interesting response. My point is this, nobody comes close to selling your info they way Google does. And, if you would have read the complete post, you would see that I mentioned my phone being an Android. The issue is, updates change things, some intentionally, some not intentionally. And they add Bloatware. I get by much better without constant updates.

Google used to be the search engine to compete against the big companies, like Microsoft, now they have become that "Giant Software Company."

Mozilla and duckduckgo don't have lawsuits against them.

Google keeps buying up companies like Nest to learn even more about your habits. They've become invasive, and like anything, it's always wise to investigate other options.

By the way, my degree is from an accredited University. The only reason I mentioned it was to demonstrate my experience (24 years) in the field. So I'm very familiar with privacy issues.
I guess the part that gets me is the "Google sells your data". If they did that, then they wouldn't be in business very long. Google provides data sets for consumer groups. But they aren't selling "your" data. That is what keeps them in business, being able to provide high quality, aggregated data that their customers can then more accurately target. But Google won't give them a singular person to target.

I don't mean to discredit your expertise, but there is too much bashing without knowing the background. Mentioning you have a CS degree means nothing in reality. You could be working the last 24 years building IDEs which wouldn't give you any special expertise or knowledge in how Google works.

While there are issues I have with Google, it also shouldn't be neglected to be mentioned that they in turn have created a huge economic impact and have enabled people to make a living in ways they never thought possible. They also invest large amounts of money in philanthropy and in other things, like keeping the lights on at Mozilla (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...en-as-chrome-dominates?embedded-checkout=true)

Are they evil? I don't know, I guess it depends on ones definition of evil, but I doubt it is any worse than any other multi billion dollar company. The difference is that they get much more press than some of its competitors that do pretty much the same thing.

I'll leave one last thing here:
https://economicimpact.google/
Sponsored