• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up.

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford 2dr Bronco / 2021 RAM TRX
I saw this brought up in new video from Alex on Autos last week in his review he noticed this and ever since I can't not notice how odd this is and how odd it looks.

Is there an aftermarket fix for this in the works. I like the tail light design just fine, just wish the whole thing lit up and was functional. Really strikes me as odd the lower half of the OEM taillight is nonfunctional.

I would live to find an aftermarket taillight that was fully functional and looked the same or very similar to the OEM taillight.
Sponsored

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I don't have mine yet but I would think the top is just the tail light and when you step on the brakes both the top and bottom would light up.

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I have some clarification.
Looks like my RR will light up at the bottom where other Rangers will not.
Alex covers it today in the Ranger Raptor review.

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a link to a video of a Ranger non-raptor with the brake lights on.
Nothing on the bottom half of the tail light is lighting up at all.

There is three of the non raptors in this shot all with the brake lights on.
Ford Ranger Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up. 1711042829060-o

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Think I read somewhere that the blind spot radar safety components are in the tail lights, not 100% on that but would make a little sense for that. Who knows….

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Think I read somewhere that the blind spot radar safety components are in the tail lights, not 100% on that but would make a little sense for that. Who knows….
They are in 5G so I would bet they are in this gen for sure they are in the little dark section though.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
They skimped out on the taillights like they did the rear vents. :LOL:

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are in 5G so I would bet they are in this gen for sure they are in the little dark section though.
Very true.
Those blind spot sensors are in hidden in that blacked-out portion on the side of the taillights.
That may be why we don't see any aftermarket options for taillights.
I am sure that would add a lot of cost and complexity for an aftermarket company to try and intergrade that.
I am fine with what is going to be coming with now that I see the Raptor taillight does illuminate the lower portion. If I was to be buying a Lariat or XLT I think I would have to look into rather the Raptor taillights would fit and try and upgrade them. With that lower half not illuminated, makes me think the half the taillight is burnt out on new truck.

I am so very happy to see Alex's video today showing that Raptor taillight fully illuminated.

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
Are we sure about that? In the one video with the blue one, they did not look lit on the bottom. And look at these on this red one. I don't know folks, not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but it sure looks like only the top half on the Raptor light as well...

Ford Ranger Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up. 1711056464073-gu

Ford Ranger Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up. 1711056653390-q1

Ford Ranger Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up. 1711056826153-n4

Ford Ranger Anyone else notice how odd the taillights are on the new Ranger meaning how only the top portion lights up. 1711056849763-yo

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jlawson865

First Name
Joni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Professional Driver
Are we sure about that? In the one video with the blue one, they did not look lit on the bottom. And look at these on this red one. I don't know folks, not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but it sure looks like only the top half on the Raptor light as well...

1711056464073-gu.png

1711056653390-q1.png

1711056826153-n4.png

1711056849763-yo.png
I think everyone is agreeing that only the top is lit up...just curious why...probably the sensors

SCFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 RRaptor, '22 Ford Bronco, '18 Raptor Prior
Full illumination on the raptor tail is only when the lights are on, Brakes only illuminate the top portion on all rangers. Forscan could possibly remedy it

OP
OP
cc1999

cc1999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just saw where Alex was pointing out the odd look on the lariat a couple days ago and pointing out and demonstrating how the Raptor did light up the bottom portion with LEDs.

I see now others are not lit. I am thinking SCFast is likely spot on with his assessment, they only fully light on the Raptor when the headlights are on.
‘I sure hope there is a programming fix for that , but still happy the Raptor lights more than half The tail lights at night. Wished it all worked with the brake lights as well .

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
I think everyone is agreeing that only the top is lit up...just curious why...probably the sensors
Apologies if I misunderstood. I thought folks were saying that both top and bottom would light for brakes on the Raptor, but only the top on Rangers.

Jlawson865

First Name
Joni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Professional Driver
Apologies if I misunderstood. I thought folks were saying that both top and bottom would light for brakes on the Raptor, but only the top on Rangers.
No need to apologize...I think we are all just trying to figure it all out...
Sponsored