• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Looking to buy a Ranger, in need of tips

robertwsimpson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 F150 FX2, 2013 C-Max Energi
Occupation
Several
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a Ranger in the next 2-3 months and I'm just wondering if you guys had any tips for someone who is just starting to look... I'm not sure on new/used, but probably used unless there's a good reason to go new...

Pretty much I'm wanting XLT trim 4x4 crew cab. I'd like to tow with it, so probably the tow package unless it's just a receiver (which I can install myself).

I like doing work on my vehicles.

Thanks for lending your experience!

Here's my mustang:
Ford Ranger Looking to buy a Ranger, in need of tips IMG_0079
Ford Ranger Looking to buy a Ranger, in need of tips IMG_0098

I have quite an in depth build thread on Mustang6g if anyone is interested.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Chrysler 300s 5.7L
Occupation
Retired/Manufacturing
Welcome! We're waiting with baited breath to see what the 6g North American Ranger consist of.

Regarding 5g, de-contenting began with the 2020 models. I'm on my 4th new Ranger since 1988 (XLT SWB 2WD), progressing to a 2001 LWB 2WD XLT Supercab, 2006 LWB XLT 4WD Supercab, and now my 2019 Lariat 4WD SuperCrewCab. Only my current Lariat has the factory Class 3 towing package, although I've never towed anything close to the Class 3 limits. Should probably consider an F-150 for the 7500 lb (and up) applications.

My advice: since you're a Ford person, buy what appeals to you. You'll figure it out. I'm now into my 2019 Lariat and 2020 Chrysler300S, after years of being strictly a Ford fan.:like:

Ford Ranger Looking to buy a Ranger, in need of tips IMG_0984.JPG

Ford Ranger Looking to buy a Ranger, in need of tips IMG_0993

Last edited:

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a Ranger in the next 2-3 months and I'm just wondering if you guys had any tips for someone who is just starting to look... I'm not sure on new/used, but probably used unless there's a good reason to go new...

Pretty much I'm wanting XLT trim 4x4 crew cab. I'd like to tow with it, so probably the tow package unless it's just a receiver (which I can install myself).

I like doing work on my vehicles.

Thanks for lending your experience!
Welcome, if you're looking at buying the current gen (in the US anyway) then you are probably better off jumping over to the Ranger 5G page.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Chrysler 300s 5.7L
Occupation
Retired/Manufacturing
Welcome, if you're looking at buying the current gen (in the US anyway) then you are probably better off jumping over to the Ranger 5G page.
My advice to the op would be to wait for the 6g debut here in NA.

More ā€˜up to dateā€™ design, features, and itā€™s been available overseas for a year. Some lead time to get the unexpected issues worked out.

I honestly canā€™t recommend a brand new 5g Ranger at the moment due to all of the silly decontenting. To add insult to injury, the OEM standard shocks/struts (including the FX2/FX4) are absolute crap.

Havenā€™t read any complaints about the Raptor shocks/struts. I spent around $1,000 earlier this year upgrading to Bilstein 4600 units at all four corners-what a difference.

Hoping 6g comes from the factory with good shocks/struts.

Struggling along pecking this out on my iPhone at the moment.
Sponsored