• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Private Sale or Dealer Trade

superakcraig

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger Sprt 4x4, Blue, 27k miles- Garage Kept
I recently ordered a 2024 Ranger Lariat. I have a 2010 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 V6 with 27k miles. It's been garage kept and I am trying to decide if I should sale it or trade it. Obviously, I am not going to have a make decision for a bit of time considering the back log of Ranger orders. KBB sales retail is between $17k and $20k and trade in is between $15k and $17k rated in "very good" condition.

What would you do and why?

Ford Ranger Private Sale or Dealer Trade 923F3AE1-8A55-4218-BE11-629AD9AB3918
Ford Ranger Private Sale or Dealer Trade IMG_0644
Ford Ranger Private Sale or Dealer Trade IMG_0645

Charlie4711

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Security Manager
Is keeping her out of the question? That's a beauty of a truck you've got there. If you can't keep her then I would suggest selling her yourself vs. trade in. If KBB estimates $17 on the low end you could likely find someone that would meet you around there or maybe even in the middle.

Plus if you don't get the offer you're looking for you can always double back to trade in and see if your dealer will offer at least $16.

pyates999

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150
Occupation
Foreman
Personally, that appears to be a VERY nice truck that I’m sure you could sell outright & get whatever you ask. Trading is losing money to the dealer so I would sell outright if it were me.

Scotty piffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ranger lariat
Occupation
Sales
private sale price will most likely be better but has to be better better by enough that it offsets the sales tax advantage you get by trading it. Convenience of trade in also worth something. best play is to explore both options unless you have a private buyer ready to pay you something to good to refuse.

OP
OP
superakcraig

superakcraig

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is keeping her out of the question? That's a beauty of a truck you've got there. If you can't keep her then I would suggest selling her yourself vs. trade in. If KBB estimates $17 on the low end you could likely find someone that would meet you around there or maybe even in the middle.

Plus if you don't get the offer you're looking for you can always double back to trade in and see if your dealer will offer at least $16.
THANK YOU......Yeah, keeping her is out of the question. I don't have a place to store her and i don't want to park my new one outside. Sadly my garage is barely big enough for the new Ranger as it is.

Sponsored

Charlie4711

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Security Manager
THANK YOU......Yeah, keeping her is out of the question. I don't have a place to store her and i don't want to park my new one outside. Sadly my garage is barely big enough for the new Ranger as it is.
Well, I'm not the smartest guy in the world.......but if you put her on the market. I'd wager you're going to get lit up like a Christmas tree with offers.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
See what caravans will offer ya

Scotty piffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ranger lariat
Occupation
Sales
i overlooked the mileage on your truck, a truck like that probably going to maximize value in a private sale

RR2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (on order)
If the private sale price is greater than the sales tax percentage above the dealer trade then private sale makes sense. If the difference is within the sales tax percentage, then the sales tax savings (assuming your state allows it) can make it worthwhile. For example some states will subtract your trade in value from your new purchase price and then only tax you on the differences.

OP
OP
superakcraig

superakcraig

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the private sale price is greater than the sales tax percentage above the dealer trade then private sale makes sense. If the difference is within the sales tax percentage, then the sales tax savings (assuming your state allows it) can make it worthwhile. For example some states will subtract your trade in value from your new purchase price and then only tax you on the differences.
Very true, Ky is 6% sales tax and if you trade a vehicle in, the new one is taxed on the sale price after the trade in is subtracted.

Did some figuring and IF I sold it for 17k or traded it for the same amount , the tax difference would be about $1k in favor of trading to the bottom line.

If the 17k amount was 20k instead (i am certain the dealer won't give me that, but for sake of argument), it still turns out to be about $1k difference in favor of trading.

Plus, like someone said earlier, there's also the paperwork when you sale it yourself.

Hmmmmm

Sponsored

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
I had a low mileage 2019 F150 Platinum.
Dealer gave me a low and high trade figure in Nov when I ordered stating could not give a final
figure until trade day due to market instability. Fast forward 3 months and values have dropped
toward low figure also Pa. has the trade tax advantage 6%
Long story short I was offered more than high trade plus 6% by guy next door.
Did not advertise he asked if he could make an offer.
Ended up $3,500. ahead.
Now I just need my 2024 Ranger.

Last edited:

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sadly my garage is barely big enough for the new Ranger as it is.
The raptor will just barely fit in either stall in my garage (height) with the large antenna sticking out.
Donating my old Mazdaspeed3 with a blown engine to Kars for Kids (for scrap value). Would cost round $8,500 for a new engine and likely added cost if the cat converter got flooded with oil.
Your Ranger still looks pretty nice. Good luck with your new ride on the way.
Sponsored