Sponsored

2027 Ranger?

RB205

Well-Known Member
First Name
BB
Joined
May 2, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
181
Reaction score
203
Location
Denver
Vehicle(s)
XJ
what will they do to differentiate the Raptor?
Coil rear springs, Watts link rear, Fox live valve shocks, factory beadlock wheels, wider front and rear axles? Further reduce the towing and hauling capacity in comparison?

The engine is the most similar thing between the Raptor and XLT.
Sponsored

 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
812
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
Coil rear springs, Watts link rear, Fox live valve shocks, factory beadlock wheels, wider front and rear axles? Further reduce the towing and hauling capacity in comparison?

The engine is the most similar thing between the Raptor and XLT.
Yea, suspension, wheels/tires, and interior changes. It’ll be interesting to see how the forthcoming Tremor fits in price- and feature-wise compared to the Raptor if they both have the 3.0. I wonder if Ford will take a page from GM’s playbook and stop selling performance tunes, instead selling the same engine with different tunes with the higher output going into the Raptor. Maybe the Tremor will be close in price to the Raptor with the Raptor sacrificing some tow/haul ability in favor of off-road performance. Well soon see, I suppose. But fwiw, when I shopped the gm’s I absolutely hated that the “engine upgrade” was nothing more than different software in the ECU.
 

Jason B

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Apr 27, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
1,372
Reaction score
1,515
Location
Louisiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
machinist
OK, so if they do away with the 2.7 as seems inevitable, and they put a 3.0L EcoBoost in as the higher option for non-Raptor Rangers, what will they do to differentiate the Raptor?
3.5 L EB, or just play with the tunings on the 3.0?
Go with some other new design?
It might be worse than people think. They may do away with the V6 in non-Raptor Rangers all together and offer only the 2.3L
 

Texasota

Well-Known Member
First Name
Al
Joined
Jan 27, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
473
Reaction score
391
Location
Rochester, MN
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
But fwiw, when I shopped the gm’s I absolutely hated that the “engine upgrade” was nothing more than different software in the ECU.
Ya, but you can see why the OEMs like that. A software change is a lot less expensive than a different engine option.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP

MementoMuri

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
5
Reaction score
10
Location
Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Diesel
GM’s playbook and stop selling performance tunes, instead selling the same engine with different tunes with the higher output But fwiw, when I shopped the gm’s I absolutely hated that the “engine upgrade” was nothing more than different software in the ECU.
Actually, the new 2.7 coming out on the 'Rado/Canyon is not just a software tune. TFL already did a test drive on a '27 Canyon and GM said the upgrade is a bigger turbo with more efficient cooling, hence the extra horses/torque. It's not just a software tune but the hardware to go with it. TFL also said the new engine sounds slightly more "throatier" but didn't really feel the extra power curve VS the old Canyon AT4X TFL used to own. I mean, in the end, u can only squeeze so much out of a small ass 4 banger engine.

GM should have offered a V6 instead of totally abandoning it and replacing all trims with only a 4 banger turbo.
 

emjay24l

Active Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
37
Reaction score
66
Location
SW-VA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX-4
It might be worse than people think. They may do away with the V6 in non-Raptor Rangers all together and offer only the 2.3L
I don't see this happening. IMO, Ford made the 2.7L an option because the competition was offering more hp and torque than the 2.3L could deliver. Chevy just upped the torque output of their 2.7L. Ford needs a V6 for the Ranger to stay relevant as a strong towing option in the lower trim levels. I think the 2.7L could be around for a few years. Timing likely depends on how fast they can raise production volumes of the 3.0L.

Also, I think the 3.0L will be offered in two different tune levels in the Ranger with the higher hp engine being dedicated to the Raptor and Tremor. Heck, the Raptor and Tremor could have their own specifically tuned engines because they are engineered for different use cases that require different power curves for high speed running and lower speed trails.
 

Onceaneagle

Well-Known Member
First Name
Walter
Joined
Aug 12, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
649
Reaction score
827
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
US Army Retired
I don't see this happening. IMO, Ford made the 2.7L an option because the competition was offering more hp and torque than the 2.3L could deliver. Chevy just upped the torque output of their 2.7L. Ford needs a V6 for the Ranger to stay relevant as a strong towing option in the lower trim levels. I think the 2.7L could be around for a few years. Timing likely depends on how fast they can raise production volumes of the 3.0L.

Also, I think the 3.0L will be offered in two different tune levels in the Ranger with the higher hp engine being dedicated to the Raptor and Tremor. Heck, the Raptor and Tremor could have their own specifically tuned engines because they are engineered for different use cases that require different power curves for high speed running and lower speed trails.
My sales guy says Ford will do something to differentiate between Raptor and Tremor to justify the higher RR price, despite all the Raptor features and off road capabilities. The same engine in both not the way to do it, to him. But we shall see when the comps and build come out.
 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
812
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
Actually, the new 2.7 coming out on the 'Rado/Canyon is not just a software tune. TFL already did a test drive on a '27 Canyon and GM said the upgrade is a bigger turbo with more efficient cooling, hence the extra horses/torque. It's not just a software tune but the hardware to go with it. TFL also said the new engine sounds slightly more "throatier" but didn't really feel the extra power curve VS the old Canyon AT4X TFL used to own. I mean, in the end, u can only squeeze so much out of a small ass 4 banger engine.

GM should have offered a V6 instead of totally abandoning it and replacing all trims with only a 4 banger turbo.
I assumed that the hardware upgrades were just a new gen of their old 2.7 and they’d continue selling the same hardware across the line with different tunes. But I could be wrong!
 

emjay24l

Active Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
37
Reaction score
66
Location
SW-VA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX-4
My sales guy says Ford will do something to differentiate between Raptor and Tremor to justify the higher RR price, despite all the Raptor features and off road capabilities. The same engine in both not the way to do it, to him. But we shall see when the comps and build come out.
As far as I am aware, the 2.7L/3.0L engines are the only US available engines they have that would work in the Ranger. With the F-150 getting the 3.0L I don't see Ford going to the expense of creating another engine for the Ranger, Bronco and Explorer. Especially when a high percentage of engines in the Explorer and Ranger are 2.3L. There really isn't much difference between the 2.7L and 3.0L engines from what I have read. The main ones are the 3.0L's lower block is aluminum and its bore and stoke are slightly larger. I think it says a lot about Ford's confidence in the 3.0L to make it the base engine in the F-150.
Sponsored

 
 







Top