• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Darek's Black Thunder Build

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2 Shadow Black
Occupation
Head of Engineering - Cook Spring Company
I'll give you the in-cab WOT for before and after, that's really the only comparison I have right now.

It sounds amazing on start-up, but in all honesty, I'm going to add another resonator. It's way too damn loud at WOT, Obsoxioisly so in fact haha
BEFORE

AFTER
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
Today, muffler delete video re-done (wait a second for motor start)
Regards

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
I'll give you the in-cab WOT for before and after, that's really the only comparison I have right now.

It sounds amazing on start-up, but in all honesty, I'm going to add another resonator. It's way too damn loud at WOT, Obsoxioisly so in fact haha
BEFORE

AFTER
Sounds Great with the after market parts!
Regards

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds Great with the after market parts!
Regards
It really does sound great, it's a little intense though, I think I might move the current resonator up the midpipe and add the factory resonator at the end for the nice angled side exit that I like, plus the added benefit of an extra resonator to help with the obnoxious raspy high note under load. I'll have to cut the factory hanger off the first resonator and weld my own on to correct for the angle and hight of it but I already have a brand new hanger rod laying around so it's certainly worth a try I can't see it affecting performance at all to add a resonator, both are glasspack so they are straight thru with no baffles

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Did you do that video with the window down and what are you recording with? All I have is this crappy iPad. Yes, another resonator might help...I kinda like the pitch of yours as is! So the tune sounds great !
Regards

Sponsored
OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you do that video with the window down and what are you recording with? All I have is this crappy iPad. Yes, another resonator might help...I kinda like the pitch of yours as is! So the tune sounds great !
Regards
That's the crappy part, I love the pitch too, when I get on the throttle, there's a raspy note that I want to get rid of. I'm just filming using my phone, a Google Pixel 3xl all windows up

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just thought I'd drop an update as I wrapped my downpipe today. Had a hell of a time getting it out and ended up stripping the threads on two of the studs but nothing that making new studs, a 10mm tap and a shit load of curse words can't fix right? ? At any rate, it's all wrapped up tight and put back together. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow of the finished product along with a video of how it sounds now that it's wrapped.

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_114355

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_114923

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_152909

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_152918

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_155057

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200307_155437

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Current 1/4 mile record for my truck as it sits with my mods. Stay tuned for more updates as I plan on dumping a lot of time (and money) into my truck, my ultimate goal is to be in the 11's with a fully caged interior, race seats, built motor, e85 fuel, the whole 9 yards! And get this, my wife actually WANT'S me to do this! She's hooked after going to the track with me!

I've started gathering materials today to Fab up my own Caltrac style traction bars. Rather than drop the truck on it's nuts and go with a 4 link, I think I'm starting to lean more towards the idea of making my own custom reverse level to bring the back end down 3 inches to be even with the front. I like the idea of having a sleeper/grudge racing truck that's fairly unassuming but blows just about everything away lol.

I took my wife and 3 kids to the drag strip this past weekend and my wife wants to go full bore and start up our own race team!!!

Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build 20200315_081151

Last edited:

Charley

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic/HFAP with 302a and Tech
I like the idea of having a sleeper/grudge racing truck that's fairly unassuming but blows just about everything away lol.

Love it!
Love the attitude, stoked that it may become a family affair for you.

Romac

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
Nope, mines 4x2, hence my apprehension of traction becoming an issue as I add power. Drag radials will help quite a bit, thinking of doing a staggered wheel setup with the stock size up front and 12 in wide in the rear. Unfortunately mine did not come with any kind of locker, at least not that I know of. All I have is a traction control button and I can hold it down to turn off Alltrac off, but nothing for a locker. I was hoping that Wavetrac would come out with an LSD for our truck but no dice as of yet. I need to do some more research into what diff this truck has and what diffs will fit inside our pumpkin without replacing the whole damn rear axel.

Can fit a wheel that wide?

Love the performance oriented build btw. My plans are to go this route too, I feel like this truck will make a nice little 1/8 mile truck while still maintaining a lot of drive ability

Sponsored
OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can fit a wheel that wide?

Love the performance oriented build btw. My plans are to go this route too, I feel like this truck will make a nice little 1/8 mile truck while still maintaining a lot of drive ability
I think if I used wheel spacers, along with the right offset, I could fit a 12" tire in the back. Considering that the factory tire is already 10" I believe, I don't see it being an issue. My wife made a good point though, she said I should have a set of drag wheels and tires and a street set. That way it maintains the sleeper look on the street but has the grip I need on the strip.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Datalog it and send it to Torrie..He will adjust it. I have not had similar results as my truck was their R&D truck and it was tuned and dyno’d by Torrie. Those high rpm changes are not necessary as it makes its torque at 3000 rpm.
Regards.

EDIT: LOOKING AT THIS...I noticed I sent the stock Dyno report, will post the tuned report below.. Regards

CDDE0EA6-A6D2-456C-BC8E-552F1B192F13.jpeg
Ford Ranger Darek's Black Thunder Build C92E4515-1ED3-4E07-90AC-C5BFB6C20044

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's a huge difference with just a tune! I'd love to get mine on a Dyno and see real numbers on it.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's a huge difference with just a tune! I'd love to get mine on a Dyno and see real numbers on it.
Yeah, the HP number isn’t high because it was 110 degrees in the Dyno room.
388 lb/ft torque, more than my 69‘ SS-396 Chevelle...Yours should be higher with your Mods...
Regards

OP
OP
Darek661

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would love to be somewhere around 400hp and 450tq but that's probably lofty on 93 octane. I talked with Torrie about what he thinks would be the next best move forward and he suggested mater/methanol injection. I was leaning more towards E85 but after seeing the price of the fuel pump alone at $1,600, I might end up going with water/meth. I just like the idea of having power at all times, rather than just on demand. I've never messed with chemical intercooling so it makes me a little leery injecting something that could potentially hydrolock my brand new engine lol. Idk which way I'm going to go yet.
Sponsored