• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

EU Diesel Raptor loses Fox live valve dampers

JJ452

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 3.0
I was taking a look at the Ford UK website and noticed they updated the brochure for the upcoming diesel variant of the raptor - it seems to be missing many of the new features of the petrol model (comparison attached).

Pretty shocking considering the list price is only £2k cheaper than the petrol variant and the average MPG is only 26.6 (diesel) vs 20.5 (petrol)

The brochure can be found here.

Ford Ranger EU Diesel Raptor loses Fox live valve dampers Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 12.21.23 pm
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I'm still very confused by this de-tuned V6. The 2.3EB makes that much power in the Bronco.

OP
OP
JJ452

JJ452

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 3.0
I'm still very confused by this de-tuned V6. The 2.3EB makes that much power in the Bronco.
Yes I agree it is very confusing. My assumption is that Ford didn't want to spend the budget to optimise for the EU emissions targets because the 2.3L engine makes 400BHP in the Focus RS in the EU and meets the targets. Other manufactures can do more as well and meet the targets:

VW Golf R: 2.0L 333BHP
BMW 40i: 3.0L 382BHP
Toyota Yaris GR: 1.6L 257BHP
Honda Civic Type R: 2.0L 310BHP
Mercedes A45S: 2.0L 415BHP

Makes me question if they fitted a PPF in the exhaust system or had to skip it due to the adjustable exhaust? Maybe detuned the engine rather than fitting a PPF.

I'm eagerly awaiting for the remaps becoming available to unlock the rest of the power.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Yes I agree it is very confusing. My assumption is that Ford didn't want to spend the budget to optimise for the EU emissions targets because the 2.3L engine makes 400BHP in the Focus RS in the EU and meets the targets. Other manufactures can do more as well and meet the targets:

VW Golf R: 2.0L 333BHP
BMW 40i: 3.0L 382BHP
Toyota Yaris GR: 1.6L 257BHP
Honda Civic Type R: 2.0L 310BHP
Mercedes A45S: 2.0L 415BHP

Makes me question if they fitted a PPF in the exhaust system or had to skip it due to the adjustable exhaust? Maybe detuned the engine rather than fitting a PPF.

I'm eagerly awaiting for the remaps becoming available to unlock the rest of the power.
It has a PPF, but between the RS and the Ranger your emissions regulations have gone ballistic. This was the only way to get the engine to meet Euro 6.2 emissions, I got to quiz the program chief engineer about it.

OP
OP
JJ452

JJ452

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 3.0
It has a PPF, but between the RS and the Ranger your emissions regulations have gone ballistic. This was the only way to get the engine to meet Euro 6.2 emissions, I got to quiz the program chief engineer about it.
I guess this is the future - I'm guessing the hybrid capabilities are becoming more popular to pass these regulations. The UK hasn't make the Euro 6.2 emission standards law but I believe the Euro 6 ones are - probably doesn't make sense to have UK specific Euro 6 tune.

The Chief Engineer didn't give you any hints if it'll be possible to recover the lost power easily? Hoping remaps will come soon.
Sponsored