• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Just bought 2020 Ford Ranger, already has Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Notice

jkc1362

First Name
Janice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum. As a birthday gift to myself (I turned 50), I bought a brand new 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat on Monday Aug 10. While test driving the truck, the orange wrench icon came on. They had a tech look at it and said it was a sensor that isn't safety related and to make an appointment to bring it in. So I did (long story short, the Sales Manager got it in sooner for me). Also, the notice popped up on myford pass app and it said Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power and states system has detected a powertrain or four wheel drive fault. I dropped the truck off last night and today they called today saying that the fault code that showed up on their end is something they haven't seen before and has escalated this to a Regional Tech (someone more experienced) to see what the deal is. They said it will be about 24-48 hours before they get a response from this regional tech. Truck drives fine but I wanted this fixed asap as I'm going on a short road trip end of next week. Is this something that has happened to anyone here?
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Sorry to hear you've had a problem my 2019 Ranger has over 20k and has been as smooth as hot butter.

OP
OP

jkc1362

First Name
Janice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Sorry to hear you've had a problem my 2019 Ranger has over 20k and has been as smooth as hot butter.
well funny thing, after 8 days in the shop, they found the issue. IT was a connector from a wiring harness underneath the driver's side panel that wasn't connected all the way. UGH! So it's all fixed and she purrs like a kitten now!. I'm loving my new truck!

FijiRap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Lawyer
Just came across this post because I was searching the forum to see if any one else has had a powertrain problem.

My 2023 Ranger Raptor is saying the same thing on my FordPass App; "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and says the system has detected a powertrain or four wheel drive fault (see the photo from my FordPass App) and that I should contact my authorised dealer as soon as possible.

I normally drive it in the "2WD" mode. However, there is a very noticeable reduction in power when I drive it in the "4A" setting.

I hope my fix is going to be as easy. I will (or, get the dealer to)check out the connector on the wiring harness under the drivers side panel.

I wonder if any anyone else has had the same problem.

Ford Ranger Just bought 2020 Ford Ranger, already has Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Notice Ranger Raptor Power Train AWD Reduced Power 2023  .PNG

1TruckLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge ST, 2024 Ranger Raptor (On Order)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just came across this post because I was searching the forum to see if any one else has had a powertrain problem.

My 2023 Ranger Raptor is saying the same thing on my FordPass App; "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and says the system has detected a powertrain or four wheel drive fault (see the photo from my FordPass App) and that I should contact my authorised dealer as soon as possible.

I normally drive it in the "2WD" mode. However, there is a very noticeable reduction in power when I drive it in the "4A" setting.

I hope my fix is going to be as easy. I will (or, get the dealer to)check out the connector on the wiring harness under the drivers side panel.

Ranger Raptor Power Train AWD Reduced Power 2023  .PNG
I had this happen on my 2019 edge, and it turned out that the issue was the active grille shutters were broke. So it may not have anything to do with the actual parts that get the vehicle down the road. LOL

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger

Ranger Raptor Power Train AWD Reduced Power 2023  .PNG
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.