• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Manual Transmission?

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
It's been pretty quiet here...
Anyone besides me hoping the Bronco's manual transmission carries over to the 6G Ranger?
Sponsored

1DWN5UP

It's been pretty quiet here...
Anyone besides me hoping the Bronco's manual transmission carries over to the 6G Ranger?
I am hoping that's the case! I don't think it makes financial sense for them to invest that much time, effort, and money developing this transmission to only put it in a single model.

1DWN5UP

But at the same time does it make sense to have this specific transmission, the 6+1 crawler geared one, in a Ranger? I'm not necessarily saying it doesn't make sense, just noting that this transmission is built and tailored for a certain application of low speed crawling. As far as financial aspects, at the rate the Bronco is selling (aka being reserved and ordered), Ford might just make all that up purely in Bronco sales. Of course, they did dump a whole heck of a lot of money into this project in every aspect so who knows if it'll ever actually make them money even if it sells a bunch. haha

I've been on the fence with this (having a manual in a Ranger) for awhile once I learned the Bronco will have a manual and that it will share a good amount of powertrain components with the new Ranger.
On the one hand, I miss driving a manual. My current 5g Ranger is my first automatic vehicle.
On the other hand, a PHEV would also be really nice. Not having to waste gas driving back and forth to work every weekday and having the optional generator system for off-grid camping, house work, and emergencies.

Personally I just don't think Ford cares enough about the Ranger to give it a manual transmission. It's not a flagship brand like Bronco, Mustang, or F-series. So I don't think they'll offer it. Especially if the rumors of a Bronco truck are true, they'll likely reserve all the goodies for that vehicle. Which would be disappointing but would make my decision easier. haha
That's a fair point that Broncos are selling like hotcakes so there might be a shortage of 7MTs even for them. But yeah, I'm pretty torn myself between wanting a manual transmission and wanting a hybrid to save fuel around town.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfhawk73

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
I hope they offer it. It doesn't even have to be the 7-speed with the crawler gear. Just a 6-speed would suffice for me. The manufacturer already has a version of it in the same/similar housing, maybe at a slightly reduced cost.

Reactions: Doc

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
tps://www.caradvice.com.au/943379/video-2022-ford-ranger-super-cab-spied-for-the-first-time/

In the video (found at the end of this story), the camouflaged Super Cab sounds as if it's a turbo diesel engine mated to a manual transmission ā€“ suggesting it could be a revised version of the 2.2-litre four-cylinder currently offered in the entry-level extra-cab Ranger Hi-Rider.

Hopefully, the manual is not just for the Aussie market.

With a manual it should be offered with various differential gearing ratios like the Bronco for larger tires. If not you are searching for the right gear.

Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I need a manual Ranger, I keep reaching for the imaginary shifter and clutch in my 5G , problems with driving manuals exclusively since '96:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CJay

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I need a manual Ranger, I keep reaching for the imaginary shifter and clutch in my 5G , problems with driving manuals exclusively since '96:thumbsup:
I'm hearing Bryan Cranston's voice confirming... You need a manual Ranger.

Worse than air shifting in an auto, is hitting the clutch (aka brake) pedal! I do that occasional driving my wife's C-Max... which does not make her happy.

I'm caught in-between vehicles, but not transmission. Other than my wife's cars (she doesn't drive manual), I've only owned one automatic for myself in 30+ years of driving. My $325 college beater.

I just don't know if I NEED a Bronco or a Ranger.

I currently have a '22 Badlands Bronco on order (code 99'd so it can't get built) with manual transmission. (I'm hoping for a Heritage package in '22.) Since the 70's, I've always wanted a G1 Bronco, but I think I'm more truck person, and if I found out Ford would offer a manual Ranger with all (or most all) of the bells and whistles, I believe I would cancel and order a Ranger.

Now if Ford was listening... I'd really like a Bronco truck... extended cab, not the silly looking Gladiator 4 door thing.
Manual transmission required.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm hearing Bryan Cranston's voice confirming... You need a manual Ranger.

Worse than air shifting in an auto, is hitting the clutch (aka brake) pedal! I do that occasional driving my wife's C-Max... which does not make her happy.

I'm caught in-between vehicles, but not transmission. Other than my wife's cars (she doesn't drive manual), I've only owned one automatic for myself in 30+ years of driving. My $325 college beater.

I just don't know if I NEED a Bronco or a Ranger.

I currently have a '22 Badlands Bronco on order (code 99'd so it can't get built) with manual transmission. (I'm hoping for a Heritage package in '22.) Since the 70's, I've always wanted a G1 Bronco, but I think I'm more truck person, and if I found out Ford would offer a manual Ranger with all (or most all) of the bells and whistles, I believe I would cancel and order a Ranger.

Now if Ford was listening... I'd really like a Bronco truck... extended cab, not the silly looking Gladiator 4 door thing.
Manual transmission required.
Panic stops are always fun when i slam both feet down one on the brake and one on my imaginary clutch . yes its 2nd nature for me to do this to do this because my father taught me to push the clutch in if you have to slam on the brakes.

I'm not sold on the bronco yet its been talked about forever and over hyped and with COVID delays i just feel like there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when they do finally get them. the quality on the 5g while a nice truck you can tell where ford has cut corners and went cheap, the bronco wont be exempt from that either.

Duwop

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Chevy 3800 96 f150 2015 F250
Occupation
Retired
I really like the look of the new Bronco but in 07 when Jeep launched the 4 door Wranglers I just had to have one. Never mind that Iā€™ve driven Ford trucks 43 years I drove it for 7 years and traded back into a new Ford F-250 and my family has reminded me that Iā€™m a truck guy through and through so Iā€™ll be waiting for the G6 order bank to open. Until then Iā€™ll just keep driving my f150 and f250. My wife one the other hand is a Jeep TJ gal but really wants the new Bronco

OP
OP
CJay

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I really like the look of the new Bronco but in 07 when Jeep launched the 4 door Wranglers I just had to have one. Never mind that Iā€™ve driven Ford trucks 43 years I drove it for 7 years and traded back into a new Ford F-250 and my family has reminded me that Iā€™m a truck guy through and through so Iā€™ll be waiting for the G6 order bank to open. Until then Iā€™ll just keep driving my f150 and f250. My wife one the other hand is a Jeep TJ gal but really wants the new Bronco
Welcome to the forum.
I like the Avatar... Festus from Gunsmoke right?

That is my fear, that I'm more of a truck person and would have regrets after dropping a lot of cash on a loaded manual Bronco. The thing is I'm swayed more by transmission offerings, so the only other vehicle I'm considering is a Taco. A manual 6G Ranger that isn't short on options would help me make up my mind.