• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Chevy Colorado ZR2

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Maybe, its a good thing we have to wait for the NA release of the Ford Ranger. Hopefully, the top spec 310Hp 2.7L motor will push Ford to use the newly developed 2.3L from the Mustang in the Ranger.

MPC 2.3-Liter EcoBoost I-4
It may be tough to tell by studying the Mustang's spec sheet, but this 2.3-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine is entirely new, save for a few fasteners. One of its big emissions enablers is fitment of both port- and direct-injection, with the latter's pressure bumped to 5,000 psi. Another is internally plumbed exhaust-gas recirculation, which can be managed far more precisely than metering exhaust gasses back in through external lines. One interesting feature on this longitudinal application of the engine is an integrated airbox, which ships from the engine factory attached in front of the front-end accessory drive unit. Mounting it so close to the intake manifold minimizes losses.
Lot's of Forged part's
Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
The top of the line GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 runs roughly $67k and the ZR2 Desert Boss with similar options comes in just over $60k.

I'm betting that's the price range the Ranger Raptor will fall into. I'd be really surprised if it ended up sub $60k.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
The top of the line GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 runs roughly $67k and the ZR2 Desert Boss with similar options comes in just over $60k.

I'm betting that's the price range the Ranger Raptor will fall into. I'd be really surprised if it ended up sub $60k.
Sounds about right

Sponsored

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Maybe, its a good thing we have to wait for the NA release of the Ford Ranger. Hopefully, the top spec 310Hp 2.7L motor will push Ford to use the newly developed 2.3L from the Mustang in the Ranger.

MPC 2.3-Liter EcoBoost I-4
It may be tough to tell by studying the Mustang's spec sheet, but this 2.3-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine is entirely new, save for a few fasteners. One of its big emissions enablers is fitment of both port- and direct-injection, with the latter's pressure bumped to 5,000 psi. Another is internally plumbed exhaust-gas recirculation, which can be managed far more precisely than metering exhaust gasses back in through external lines. One interesting feature on this longitudinal application of the engine is an integrated airbox, which ships from the engine factory attached in front of the front-end accessory drive unit. Mounting it so close to the intake manifold minimizes losses.
Lot's of Forged part's
This, please

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
As much as it pains me to say it the Colorado looks 100% better but I know looks are subjective and many will disagree. While looks aren't everything (where have I heard that before lol) I can't wait to see some real world reviews of it. Especially the new revisions to the transmission which will be one of the main concerns with it. According to this article they supposedly they fixed it with the update in the upper models the Z71/ZR2 but the other lower trims still have a few issues which hopefully can/will be fixed with a TSB.

They just started shipping them last week as they finally got the mpg numbers posted. I don't think the ZR2 goes into production for a few more months so by the time the Ranger is in production it should be out with some feedback. I really want to see the interior and how much they've changed from the past Gen. I had test drove a ZR2 before buying my Ranger and while I thought it was nice, the interior was very dated and not as comfortable as the Ranger. Then there were all the transmission problems so I crossed it off the list and bought my Ranger. The ZR2 I built comes in almost $10K cheaper than the Raptor so it's going to be a tough decision if these have great reviews/feedback.

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Thanks for the info. Its good to hear Chevy addressed the main fault with the truck the 8 speed Automatic. I like that they offer the 2.7L in different states of tune.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
As much as it pains me to say it the Colorado looks 100% better but I know looks are subjective and many will disagree. While looks aren't everything (where have I heard that before lol) I can't wait to see some real world reviews of it. Especially the new revisions to the transmission which will be one of the main concerns with it. According to this article they supposedly they fixed it with the update in the upper models the Z71/ZR2 but the other lower trims still have a few issues which hopefully can/will be fixed with a TSB.

They just started shipping them last week as they finally got the mpg numbers posted. I don't think the ZR2 goes into production for a few more months so by the time the Ranger is in production it should be out with some feedback. I really want to see the interior and how much they've changed from the past Gen. I had test drove a ZR2 before buying my Ranger and while I thought it was nice, the interior was very dated and not as comfortable as the Ranger. Then there were all the transmission problems so I crossed it off the list and bought my Ranger. The ZR2 I built comes in almost $10K cheaper than the Raptor so it's going to be a tough decision if these have great reviews/feedback.
I think the Colorado, trim to trim, looks objectively better than the Ranger. The Raptor is the only trim of the Ranger that looks equal to the ZR2 in terms of styling (although I kinda like the ZR2 looks slightly more). For me, its going to ultimately come down to price. As you mentioned, 10K difference is huge. If the Raptor is going to come out with a 60K base price, add like a 6 month build time, and Ford QC issues, ADMs, additional packages, and I may be pivoting to a ZR2. Of course it would be extremely helpful if Ford would just do an announcement.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I think the Colorado, trim to trim, looks objectively better than the Ranger. The Raptor is the only trim of the Ranger that looks equal to the ZR2 in terms of styling (although I kinda like the ZR2 looks slightly more). For me, its going to ultimately come down to price. As you mentioned, 10K difference is huge. If the Raptor is going to come out with a 60K base price, add like a 6 month build time, and Ford QC issues, ADMs, additional packages, and I may be pivoting to a ZR2. Of course it would be extremely helpful if Ford would just do an announcement.
Based on the Aussie pricing I think we'll see it come in around $60K-$62K. The ZR2 I built was $53, 175 and has a lot of options added to it. Seeing as I want to fully retire soon this extra $10K would help a lot. All the manufacturers are having QC issues so it's going to come down to the one who has the least and is putting out a reasonably good product that I like and is priced...I can't even think of a word because nothing now is priced fair. lol

Attachments

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Which model Chevy can you get the front locker. Interesting on the trucks that they only offer one gear ratio. Ford 3.70, Chevy 3.42

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
Which model Chevy can you get the front locker. Interesting on the trucks that they only offer one gear ratio. Ford 3.70, Chevy 3.42
After I played around with the B&P for both Chevy and GMC (I consider GMC the better looking one), the Chevy ZR2 and the GMC AT4X are the only trims you can get the front locker on.

I'm still going to pursue the Raptor, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy the Bronco and see how things play out with the whole Raptor situation.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had test drove a ZR2 before buying my Ranger and while I thought it was nice, the interior was very dated and not as comfortable as the Ranger. Then there were all the transmission problems so I crossed it off the list and bought my Ranger.
The ZR2 I built comes in almost $10K cheaper than the Raptor so it's going to be a tough decision if these have great reviews/feedback.
I did the same thing. Almost bought a ZR2, but couldn't get past the dated interior.
For the new models, currently I'm leaning towards a ZR2 as I believe the Raptor will be overpriced, but I need to wait and see.
I'm still not 100% sold on the twins interior though. I do not like the yellow stitching on the ZR2 and I'm not a fan of the round dash vents. I much prefer the dash of the AT4x with the square~ish vents, but I hate the color choices they used. It's way to busy. Plus the AT4x is significantly more expensive than the ZR2.
I'm not buying until 2025, so at the moment, my plan is to get a ZR2 and replace the dash with the GM one, as they will be available at the wreckers by then.
But I'll probably change my mind 100 times before I buy, so who knows....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I did the same thing. Almost bought a ZR2, but couldn't get past the dated interior.
For the new models, currently I'm leaning towards a ZR2 as I believe the Raptor will be overpriced, but I need to wait and see.
I'm still not 100% sold on the twins interior though. I do not like the yellow stitching on the ZR2 and I'm not a fan of the round dash vents. I much prefer the dash of the AT4x with the square~ish vents, but I hate the color choices they used. It's way to busy. Plus the AT4x is significantly more expensive than the ZR2.
I'm not buying until 2025, so at the moment, my plan is to get a ZR2 and replace the dash with the GM one, as they will be available at the wreckers by then.
That's funny because I kind of like the round vents and really like the placement of the center vents. The yellow stitching I could take it or leave it but will have to see it in real life to make a better judgement. When I first saw the orange stitching in the Bronco Badlands I didn't care for it but in person I didn't think it was to bad but that also depends on which exterior color you get. I'm looking at the red, blue and sand dune colors and out of all those I think the sand dune would blend the best. Everything always looks so much different online and in pictures than it does in natural light.

But I'll probably change my mind 100 times before I buy, so who knows....
Trust me I understand. I change my mind daily so I can relate! 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored