• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ford Premium Maintenance Plan

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Let me first preface that this post is NOT talking about the Extended Service Plan (ESP) aka Extended Warranty.

The topic of this post is specific to the Ford Premium Maintenance Plan (aka Inspections, oil changes, wiper blades, brake pads, etc).
My Ford service dealer charges $140 per each "The Works Full Synthetic Oil Change".
That includes
"full synthetic oil change, tire rotation and pressure check; brake inspection; vehicle checkup; fluid top-off; battery test; filter check; belts and hoses check; up to six quarts of motorcraft oil and motorcraft oil filter. hybrid battery test excluded. prices can vary with make and model."
I am doing calculations to determine cost/benefit of prepaying vs paying 'at-time-of-service'.
However, there are certain items that I cannot find the answer for and i cannot seem to find a "Terms & Conditions" PDF for the Maintenance Plans.

I am looking for the requirements and how often Ford will change out
  • Wiper Blades
  • Brake pads and linings
  • Shock absorbers/struts
  • Spark plugs
  • Clutch disks
  • Engine belts
I assume it's not whenever I think they should be replace. Rather, I would imagine that they must follow their own set guidelines (ie Wiper Blades once per year, Brake pads at 10% life left??, etc..)

Anyone know where I can find the fine print?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Ohhh, I feel stupid if this is accurate.
It just dawned on me that because not all vehicles use the same maintenance plan, they likely just refer to the specific vehicle's owner's manual.

So, I'd need the 2024 Ranger Raptor owner manual. Is that right?
I wonder if that would includes requirements for wipers, air filters, etc..

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
How often does the oil need changed in the RR?

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
How often does the oil need changed in the RR?
At first, I thought that we could choose the interval based on the quote from Flood ford, etc.. But then, when I found the Service Manual for the 2024 Ranger, it pointed me to a more specific page that appears to be every 10K miles. Now I wonder if that's a requirement for them.

Will they only change every 10K miles even if I want to change ever 7.5K miles? If that's the case, I wouldn't get the Maintenance Plan because it takes away my ability to choose how I use my allotted visits.

*EDIT*
Yea, see.. This is a specific dealer site, and it says every 5K miles.
Grr.. I wish I could find a definitive source.

Last edited:

Dubfound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
The service plan typically will only allow for what the manufacturer recommends for oil change intervals. I have a prepaid service plan on my BMW M3 and it’s also every 10,000 miles. I brought it to the BMW dealer for new tires with like 1200 miles until my next oil change interval and they wouldn’t change it until it was within 1000 miles. Wicked annoying. So I literally had to bring it back the following week for them to change the oil that I already paid for. Dumb. I won’t be getting another prepaid service plan unless it’s a real good deal.

Sponsored
OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
The service plan typically will only allow for what the manufacturer recommends for oil change intervals. I have a prepaid service plan on my BMW M3 and it’s also every 10,000 miles. I brought it to the BMW dealer for new tires with like 1200 miles until my next oil change interval and they wouldn’t change it until it was within 1000 miles. Wicked annoying. So I literally had to bring it back the following week for them to change the oil that I already paid for. Dumb. I won’t be getting another prepaid service plan unless it’s a real good deal.
Thanks! This is great anecdotal information.
The specific plan that I am looking saves me $144 over the course of 7 years (17 "visits"). That's not including everything else (wipers, brake pads, etc) because i can't seem to find hard info/limitations on all of the other stuff. If there is a laundry list of restrictions that inconvenience me, I'd likely just say -- It's not worth it (for me) and move on.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
With all the aggravating/inconvenient stipulations such as certain mileage etc seems totally useless for a measly $144 over a 7 year time frame.

I'm old school OCD on maintenance. Forget 10K mile oil changes if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long period of time. Change oil and filter every 5K with full synthetic oil that meets ford's oil specs - especially a turbo charged engine. I realize everyone has their own opinions on the topic, to each their own.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
With all the aggravating/inconvenient stipulations such as certain mileage etc seems totally useless for a measly $144 over a 7 year time frame.

I'm old school OCD on maintenance. Forget 10K mile oil changes if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long period of time. Change oil and filter every 5K with full synthetic oil that meets ford's oil specs - especially a turbo charged engine. I realize everyone has their own opinions on the topic, to each their own.
My way of thinking too.

OP
OP

wlarsen76

First Name
Wells
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge

Oh, I totally agree with you on the 5K mi oil changes. That's what I priced out as well via the quote. I think for me it's all going to come down to how much red tape are they going to lay down over it. I'm going to call and ask a bunch of questions on Monday.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
They will probably force you to longer oil change intervals. Toyota will not allow under 10000 miles with that service plan.

Sponsored

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Oh, I totally agree with you on the 5K mi oil changes. That's what I priced out as well via the quote. I think for me it's all going to come down to how much red tape are they going to lay down over it. I'm going to call and ask a bunch of questions on Monday.
I would suggest not talking to sales folk, talk with service manager, service advisor and certified mechanics. Maybe get things in writing. Those things always seem to have fine print with things Not Covered, called wear items and other terms but marketing material leads one to believe everythings covered.....

jdgecage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Just purchased this on my RR. I assumed there would be no cost savings, but my thought was it could be more evidence of proper care during a warranty claim. I went with 36k/3 yr at 5k intervals, or 7 services total.

Hilariously, the electronic RR Owner’s Manual doesn’t have your service information! You need to visit Ford’s website. Ouch.

There are a number of options you can specify during the purchase, don’t buy the first thing they propose. I didn’t realize it, but one option is full synth oil vs partial. They won’t tell you this, you need to ask and make sure they click to change the options on the screen. If they turn the screen towards you then read that whole darn thing so you know the array of options. Some will alter the price to a point that makes sense.
Sponsored