• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Future of cars is a subscription nightmare

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, your phone does. Also insurance companies do as well
There's a big difference between voluntary data collection devices that allow your insurance agency to install for lower rates versus what I'm talking about.

Ford is not reporting us to our insurance agency as part of their "terms of service" yet, nor are they selling your driving habits, but this is in the not so distant future. This is a field i'm well acquainted with.
Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I thought that was shot down but maybe I'm wrong
It's still happening, but apparently implementation has been changed a bit to give manufacturers a little room for variation of ways to achieve the same goal of preventing drivers from using their vehicle buzzed. Something about more detection methods with sensors and examining your eyes instead of just blowing into an installed breathalyzer type device. There's also still a mandate for transponders that track your miles driven and automatically billing you for it. Several Western states are already doing this.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Dumbest thing ever. Why doesn’t the government worry about more important crap than tracking miles

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Maybe I’m in the minority but I like the concept of being able to activate it just for a road trip instead of having it all year long. That’s the only time I’d use it.

BMW has already walked back some of their subscription plans. I don’t think this is a market that will or can sustain microtransactions. The younger people that are used to micro transactions and subscription services being shoved in their faces with video games and dating apps are too broke to afford new vehicles anyway.

I am not sure it works like that. From what I have seen like with GM you will have to pay to have the heated seats put in. Than additional subscription to actually use them. So they make money selling them to you and then make more money selling the subscription. Right now you just pay to have them put in and use them.

But it does not stop there. Remote start you have to pay to have it put in and then subscription. Climate control etc. etc etc.

Honestly not thrilled to have to pay for something I already paid for.
Sponsored