• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Icon Rebound Pro with Interlock Technology

CrustyNoodle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 BMW 135i, '19 Rangie Sport, '23 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As I have got older and (hopefully) wiser, I have become more and more suspect when it comes to aftermarket wheels. The reality is that the car companies do a huge amount of engineering to ensure that the wheels they supply on a car are as good as they can be for the price. This shows when you compare many OEM wheels with aftermarket ones in how they attach to the car - like precision fit hub centric with semi-sleeved lug nuts versus just tapered lug nuts for aftermarket.

Regardless of this, I do still like the look that you get with "some" aftermarket wheels regardless of their often inferior mechanical designs. I have currently got the bead-lock capable wheels on my Raptor order (though it is not too late to change that) however these Icon wheels piqued my interest:

Ford Ranger Icon Rebound Pro with Interlock Technology Screenshot 2022-10-28 094046

Though they clearly use tapered lug nuts which I'm definitely not a fan of... Having never owned a Ranger before, I don't know what the Ford wheels are like - do they also just use tapered lug nuts? In which case you would not be loosing anything by going aftermarket.

Does anyone have any experience or rational opinion on the topic?
Sponsored