• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

If I bail should I keep order, buy and flip it?

easyheimer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Been busy researching, test driving and comparing all the midsize trucks available. If, and that’s a big IF, I decide to buy something else would It be beneficial to still purchasing the truck and flip it for a good profit? This mess with Ford is really frustrating and with a baby on the way I need to get into something that has 4 doors that’ll mount a car seat.

The Raptor has been my dream truck and the fact that it’s now available in a smaller form factor with the Ranger is even better. Even if I do flip it I can technically still say I’ve owned my dream truck.

Got my retail order at MSRP so there’s no markup to factor in. What do you all think?
Sponsored

1TruckLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge ST, 2024 Ranger Raptor (On Order)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Been busy researching, test driving and comparing all the midsize trucks available. If, and that’s a big IF, I decide to buy something else would It be beneficial to still purchasing the truck and flip it for a good profit? This mess with Ford is really frustrating and with a baby on the way I need to get into something that has 4 doors that’ll mount a car seat.

The Raptor has been my dream truck and the fact that it’s now available in a smaller form factor with the Ranger is even better. Even if I do flip it I can technically still say I’ve owned my dream truck.

Got my retail order at MSRP so there’s no markup to factor in. What do you all think?
I'd watch this video before making that decision.

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
no expert here, but seems the automotive flipping bubble pretty much burst-ed now. You may also want to research wants the most sensible vehicle for your family for now and numerous years ahead. Children, car seats, strollers, along with all the baggage is gonna change your life and the family needs for quite awhile. Focus on that. I understand your wants, dreams, etc., been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Your dreams can still become reality one day, but in my opinion, you currently need to re evaluate the appropriate timing for that. Good Luck with your decisions and wish you, the family and baby a healthy happly life.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
If you're not one of the first like 5 cars to hit the auction sites, I seriously doubt you'll be able to flip and profit, especially with taxes.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
I would think any hope of flipping for profit is a pipe dream given the current market.

Sponsored
OP
OP

easyheimer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I appreciate the advice. My wife has an SUV that we’ll be using as our main vehicle for the family. My vehicle would be used only if needed so as long as it’ll fit a car seat we’ll be ok. My current vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab so there’s no way to get a car seat in there.

no expert here, but seems the automotive flipping bubble pretty much burst-ed now. You may also want to research wants the most sensible vehicle for your family for now and numerous years ahead. Children, car seats, strollers, along with all the baggage is gonna change your life and the family needs for quite awhile. Focus on that. I understand your wants, dreams, etc., been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Your dreams can still become reality one day, but in my opinion, you currently need to re evaluate the appropriate timing for that. Good Luck with your decisions and wish you, the family and baby a healthy happly life.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Yes, the market is slowing down but these people thinking you wouldn't make a profit are up in the night. There are only going to be 900-3000 of these in all of the US over the next 6 months. Chances are, Ford is going to raise MSRP by $5-10k over that same time period because of inflation and all their new costs after the strike.

Sure, the days of getting $30k in profit are over but there's no way they aren't selling for $10-15k over MSRP. After taxes, you may only make $6-10k so the question is whether that's worth all the trouble.

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
People that really want one have ordered. Others will buy from dealer stock. There are a lot of people who won't look at something not being sold by a dealer. There are also dealers with RR allocations still available because they are charging ADM.

Unless you get lucky, you aren't flipping for a profit currently.

Bash1990

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Software Developer
Since you guys have got another vehicle, I'd try to hold on if possible. I don't know your exact situation, but we've all had to make some sacrifices or concessions to keep waiting. It's too close to the finish line to give up. I think as far as dream vehicles go, the RR is a pretty family friendly one.

On the subject of flipping, I think there's an upper limit to how much you could flip a Ranger Raptor for. We want it because we want a mid-size, but it's a niche. You can already get a decent used F150 raptor or many other nice full size trucks for what we are paying.

You might get $5-$10k over, but you are gonna pay taxes on that and deal with all the legwork and risk involved in selling a vehicle. Plus probably get plenty of clowns contacting you to poke fun at your price or to try and come look at the cool new truck but not buy it.

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
If it was truly my dream truck I’d make it work somehow and keep it. I can find a way to get a car seat safely in an extended cab 🤣. Also for a midsize it seems and what I’ve read to be roomier in the back for a car seat which is nice I have two little ones. Like others have said you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for these getting here. I could see it being a headache/legwork just to end up breaking even at the end in my opinion. Congrats on the little one!!

Sponsored
OP
OP

easyheimer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I know they’re totally different “trucks” but I’m considering the Honda Ridgeline as well. Seems very roomy and drives like an SUV due to it obviously being a unibody.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
Chances are, Ford is going to raise MSRP by $5-10k over that same time period because of inflation and all their new costs after the strike.
I think Ford has already priced all the "inflation" BS they can muster into this truck, and they already had a chance to price adjust it post strike, with minimal movement. If this truck came out in 2019, it would have been sub $50k. Given the stacks of trucks already piling up on dealer lots and the abysmal retail order demand they have for Ranger, I'll bet for 2025 they offer a non-fully loaded version of the Raptor that drops the price.

I have a RRaptor with a February build date at MSRP and I'm considering walking away from it to buy one used for 20% off in a year. US Consumers are drowning in debt, this shit show won't continue.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
I know they’re totally different “trucks” but I’m considering the Honda Ridgeline as well. Seems very roomy and drives like an SUV due to it obviously being a unibody.
I've been looking hard at the '24 Toyota Land Cruiser, except it seems like pretty poor value for money relative to the RRaptor, given that a base Land Cruiser will be about the same price.

I really wish Ford would sell the Everest here instead of the Explorer.

Reactions: MJE

LFRR13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline

To what others have said, I think true PROFIT on the MSRP is going to be a challenge. I would approach it along the lines of retaining value for longer vs. standard Ranger. Similar to F150. While there are plenty of F150 Raptors out there, over three generations, their selling price is (on average) higher than a comparable F150. Lower production, specialty vehicles will nearly also retain value for longer than their "generic" counterparts.

So while you may not be able to flip for a profit, if you kept its for a year or so for some of the hype to wash over, you'll probably still get back 85% of MSRP depending on mileage.

That said, the social media carousel hasn't yet started on the RR; the media hasn't yet had long-termers or week-long TDs. When the likes of Hagerty, TFL, Throttle House, Savagegeese & the like start pumping out their reviews, I would anticipate a small blip...especially as the first vehicles are delivered. I'd be surprised if at least 5 RRs don't hit BAT within 1,000miles of ownership.

The TrailSport variants from Honda have been getting positive reviews from the likes of TFL. Because of the coil spring rear of RR, the tow & payload ratings are quite similar to the Ridgleine (5,000 +/-lbs & 1,500lbs respectively). So if you don't need/want the superb off-road capabilities, you'll benefit from better fuel economy. Ride and handling on the RR should be superb...as that's why the Fox Live Shocks are present.

OP
OP

easyheimer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I must admit I won’t be doing any off-roading in the Ranger Raptor. Just love the looks of it. I would imagine repairs etc will be a lot more expensive on the RR than let’s say a Ridgeline. Just looking for functionality of a truck with the bed and maybe the ability to tow if I ever need it.

To what others have said, I think true PROFIT on the MSRP is going to be a challenge. I would approach it along the lines of retaining value for longer vs. standard Ranger. Similar to F150. While there are plenty of F150 Raptors out there, over three generations, their selling price is (on average) higher than a comparable F150. Lower production, specialty vehicles will nearly also retain value for longer than their "generic" counterparts.

So while you may not be able to flip for a profit, if you kept its for a year or so for some of the hype to wash over, you'll probably still get back 85% of MSRP depending on mileage.

That said, the social media carousel hasn't yet started on the RR; the media hasn't yet had long-termers or week-long TDs. When the likes of Hagerty, TFL, Throttle House, Savagegeese & the like start pumping out their reviews, I would anticipate a small blip...especially as the first vehicles are delivered. I'd be surprised if at least 5 RRs don't hit BAT within 1,000miles of ownership.

The TrailSport variants from Honda have been getting positive reviews from the likes of TFL. Because of the coil spring rear of RR, the tow & payload ratings are quite similar to the Ridgleine (5,000 +/-lbs & 1,500lbs respectively). So if you don't need/want the superb off-road capabilities, you'll benefit from better fuel economy. Ride and handling on the RR should be superb...as that's why the Fox Live Shocks are present.
Sponsored