• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Lariat will be my likely choice

Stogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Miata, Jeep, Mazda 3, BMW motorcycle
Hi, my first post here.

I haven't owned a truck in a long time. About a year ago I found I had a need for one again, so I started looking around. I wasn't completely satisfied with the available choices, so I decided to wait and see if the Ford Ranger would be more appealing to me. It turns out, it is.

The Raptor appeals to me in so many ways, but even if I could get one this year, which could prove difficult, it's not the best choice for my towing needs, which is the main reason why I want to buy a truck.

An optioned-up XLT would be a more wallet-friendly choice over a Lariat, and would get the job done for me, but some of the features and creature comforts of the Lariat have won me over.

Playing the build game on ford.com, I keep ending up with a Lariat 4x4 with Advanced Towing option and FX4 Off-Road package, spray-in bedliner, Integrated Box Side Step, and a couple of other minor options.

I'd place an order now, but I also want the 2.7L V6 engine, which isn't available yet. If Ford prices that motor the same as for a Bronco, it'll put the total price of my build within $3K or a little less than that of a Raptor.

$3K is really not a lot considering the performance differences, and subjective factors like appearance. If its towing capability were 1000 pounds more, I'd go for it despite the probable longer wait to get it.

Be that as it may, I'll be watching for my earliest chance to place an order with the 2.7L engine. I just wish I could do so now.
Sponsored

engus13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I ordered a similar Lariat with the 2.3 turbo 4. While I would like the addition power, the 2.3L is a good engin with enough power for me, also I'm coming from a Jeep Gladiator and would like the additional fuel economy.

I propbable would have gone with a fully optioned XLT if it had push button start. I know it is a very, very minow thing, but I enjoy not having to dig my keys out of my pocket.

OP
OP

Stogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Miata, Jeep, Mazda 3, BMW motorcycle
The push button start is important to some people, and there's nothing wrong with that. I could deal with a key if I had to. I do for three of my vehicles. But I much prefer the push button start on my other two vehicles.

For me that was one of several differences between the XLT and the Lariat that, while not make-or-break on its own, added to the list of features that weighted my decision more heavily in favor of the Lariat.

This is not a full list of differences between an optioned-up XLT build and a Lariat, but these are the ones that the Lariat has that aren't available on the XLT that mattered most to me:

• Heated mirrors with turn signal and secure approach indicators.
  • Larger digital instrument cluster.
  • Push button start.
  • Exterior zone lighting.
  • Interior ambient lighting.
  • Heated steering wheel.
  • Upgraded sound system.
Some things I like on the Lariat that don't matter as much to me, and didn't factor into my decision:

• Rain-sensing wipers.
  • LED cargo bed lamp.
  • LED projector headlamps.
  • Illuminated visors.
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel.
  • Universal garage door opener (Homelink?)
  • Exterior appearance items (e.g., body-colored door handles and mirror caps).

Things I prefer on the XLT that I wish I could get on the Lariat:

• Cloth seats.
  • 17 inch wheels.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
You are bang-on exactly on the same points as why I gave up my XLT and re-ordered as a Larait. Down to wishing it had options for 17" wheels and the cloth seats.

I've been borrowing an old Carolla while waiting for this to deliver and stupid as it is, going back to fishing my keys out of my pocket with gloves on and while carrying stuff, is what pushed me over the edge.
Sponsored