• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Locking Differential Options on Ranger 2024

completeevaporation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hi there, I’m new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if you have to order the 2024 Ranger with the electronic locking differential in order to be able to lock the differential?

If one were to order the vehicle with just the standard open style rear axle can you still lock the differential physically?

Again I’m new to the forum and trucks in general so please don’t mind me if this question doesn’t make sense.
Sponsored

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
You would have to order the locking diff in order to get one. Normal diff won't lock.

Cyrusblack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat Oxford White \ Sandstone
Occupation
Chief Executive Officer of Pencil Sharpening
Yeah - I ordered it. Not sure I’ll ever use it.

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
I got it in mine too. Had it in my previous vehicle too and used it once when I got stuck in a 4 foot snow drift. Saved my bacon :like:

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Security
For clarity, the 4x2 version has Posi traction on one wheel as the default. However, if you do have the option "to lock" the differential and once the button is pressed, both rear wheels will have no slip, or to say it differently, Posi traction.

Sponsored

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
For clarity, the 4x2 version has Posi traction on one wheel as the default. However, if you do have the option "to lock" the differential and once the button is pressed, both rear wheels will have no slip, or to say it differently, Posi traction.
Member from Canada, we can't get 4x2 up here in Canada.

4 Banger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sienna
Posi traction (I think it’s positive traction) is normally referred to as a LSD (limited slip differential)

LSD has clutch packs that heat up as one wheel slips and start to lock the diff bringing power to the wheel with the traction.

There is no LSD in the ranger that I have read of. There is traction control which will pulse the caliper and kind of act like a LSD and aid in getting you unstuck. Or there are the electric lockers in the front and rear if optioned on your truck.

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
The options are an open differential or an electronic locking one. I had an open differential on my 5G 4x2 and the traction control did better than I expected in wintry conditions. I got the locker on my 6G. I think it'll be more capable that a 4x4 with two open differentials in some conditions.

My grandfather had a '98 Ranger 4x4 with open diffs and it got stuck with one wheel spinning front and back several times. Of course it had no traction control.